PDA

View Full Version : 8th ed TK Tactica

Chiron
19-06-2010, 13:54
As the old TK tacita thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3472) is getting on a bit I thought it was time for a new one.

So what new strategies can TK generals work on this edition? Any of the new magic items stand out for us?

From what I've been hearing Tomb Swarms no longer count as 0-1 according to the new rulebook so we can potentially weild a huge number of those as our core choice and stock up on Scorpions, Ushabti and Tomb Guard

An Initative 10 Tomb King also sounds very tempting to annoy High Elves and Dark Elves

Yamabushi
19-06-2010, 14:07
Hmmm, it all really hinges on how our incantation works.

a) If it works as normal bound items, we're screwed
b) If it remains the same, we still have a chance

Units-wise
c) Bowmen, Scorpion, TG, Ushabti all have become better
d) Someone mentioned in another thread that Chariots do not grant the opponent supporting attacks, if that is true, then we might still have a chance.
e) Fear tests every combat phase, that'll prove interesting

Tactics-wise
TK Bowline still remains the most viable way for effective combat, IMHO.

lord opium
19-06-2010, 19:39
Tactics-wise
TK Bowline still remains the most viable way for effective combat, IMHO.

Khalida and lots of bowmen and catapults then?

Chiron
19-06-2010, 19:44
Shame, I've never been terribly fond of that list and doubtful of its efficiency as well (hitting on 5's wounding the most important things on 5's and they save on 4+ or 5+ if your lucky, vs chaos knights its just not doable)

lord opium
19-06-2010, 19:46
Although poison might help, 2pts a model though...

Chiron
19-06-2010, 19:56
Making our skellies cost even more than they already do

Shamutanti
19-06-2010, 20:23
d) Someone mentioned in another thread that Chariots do not grant the opponent supporting attacks, if that is true, then we might still have a chance.

Chariots can not make supporting attacks.

It's the other way around.

Eumerin
20-06-2010, 11:54
Assuming that whomever is doing the FAQs thinks about it, Chariots *should* get a "rank up by threes" rule, just as happened with other models that have the wider bases. We're the only race that runs chariots in units as opposed to solo, so it would make sense to see the rule in our FAQ as opposed to the BRB.

A lot is riding on how the FAQ handles our magic rules. Unfortunately, we have to wait until that comes out to figure out how the new magic rules are going to affect our play.

Also, pray very very hard that the Cupped Hands no longer allows the transfer of miscasts. Otherwise you're going to be looking at lots of nuked hierophants while playing against Lizardmen.

Chiron
24-06-2010, 23:13
All fast Cav gets to Scout move before battle

Which means we can charge into the enemy on turn 1 with an all Chariot/Fast Cav army

Hilarity ensues

Eumerin
24-06-2010, 23:17
All fast Cav gets to Scout move before battle

Which means we can charge into the enemy on turn 1 with an all Chariot/Fast Cav army

Hilarity ensues

On our first turn, yes...

Unfortunately, they'll then make their "outnumber = stubborn" leadership rolls, and smack us around on the subsequent combat round...

Chiron
24-06-2010, 23:19
I'm trying to find positives in a bad situation, it might work

Sexiest_hero
25-06-2010, 00:12
I'm thinking a construct army can do wonders. scorpions, swarms, and bone giants packed in with a bsb and litchs can get along pretty good. Just add core units to tastes.

Eumerin
25-06-2010, 01:07
The problem is that they don't have ranks. So you'll charge them, kill a few guys, and then they'll pass stubborn leadership tests until they wear you down.

You're going to need to figure out ways to launch multiple charges on a single unit in order to focus fire and get those critical stubborn-removing outnumbers.

Our catapult and casket will probably also help considerably as well.

Darktan
25-06-2010, 01:23
good point about the casket, with new LoS rules, like woods ect not blocking it, the casket could easily hit a large part of anyones army, even my accursed dwarf friend who keeps hiding anvils in forests is safe no longer :cool:

(on a separate note, would stomp attacks work with unstoppable assault from the bone giant?)

Eumerin
25-06-2010, 01:27
(on a separate note, would stomp attacks work with unstoppable assault from the bone giant?)

That is a very good question...

Chiron
25-06-2010, 01:30
Thats going to be an Errata decision I'd think, I'd talk about it with your opponent first

All mounted TK seem very viable to me right now, 2-3 units of Chariots 4 wide, a load of Heavy and Light horse for Ranks and some Scorpions to tunnel up and SSC's to make the enemy move forward.

Do your scout move, threaten his flanks and if he reforms to deal with the chariots stomp him in the sides with the Heavy Horse. If he doesnt react to the heavy horse hit him in the sides with the Chariots.

I think most players to start with are going to be making 1 - 2 units of horde troops to start with which will be dangerous but very hard to manouvere and easy to bait with small units so we can take advantage of that to try and get rid of his ranks.

Archer units will probably be the same size as will cav so if we can kill those and isolate the horde units we can then consolidate and hit him hard when we want and now when he wants.

Darktan
25-06-2010, 03:15
Put a king in one of those chariots with one of the new heavy armours (which also come with a ward) from the common items and the pond/dawn stone (re-roll armour saves), he could be quite durable (though for the first few games, i think i'll use the wizard hat, just to surprise people :p).

with all the extra killing power from stomps, i think i'd lean towards adding more constructs rather than using a purely mounted force (though the chariots will make exceptional core with that pre-game move)

Enkhil's Kanopi could be quite the handy item with all these powerful RiP spells, especially the beasts transformation.