PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen batallion....

tremulant
19-06-2010, 16:01
Okay so I've been checking out ogre kingdoms and lizardmen lately..... While going over lizardmen, I noticed that the batallion has a unit of temple guard in it. I'm not 100% on the rules for them, but dont you need to have a slann for each unit of them? Meaning you'd need to have 2000 points to even use them at all? Seems kind of dumb for a starter box... Might save you money if expanding on an army but sucks since I was going to start with the batallion and now I won't be able to use 1/3 of the points worth of models.....

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2010, 16:04
No, the Temple Guard doesn't need the Slann, the Slann needs the Temple Guard! :evilgrin:

It can be fielded as just a regular Special choice, though you'll miss out on some of the juicier rules that make it really worth taking if it isn't commanded by a Slann.

New edition by the way you can take Slann under 2000 points as long as you can (or want to) cram him into your Lord allowance.

Leth Shyish'phak
19-06-2010, 16:05
You don't need a Slann to take a unit of Temple Guard, he just makes them a lot better if he joins them.

No, the Temple Guard doesn't need the Slann, the Slann needs the Temple Guard! :evilgrin:

Lies and slander! My brave Slann has never (rarely) had any need of a bodyguard unit. He just wanders around on his own, since the new book came out he has only died twice (once to failing a terror test from a nearby dragon and then failing to rally...).

tremulant
19-06-2010, 16:08
Okay so now I'm looking at the rules..... Under the temple guard entry it says "You may choose 0 - 1 Temple Guard units per Slann in the army"..... Does that not mean max one unit only if you have a Slann?

Leth Shyish'phak
19-06-2010, 16:12
You have the old book, it seems. :)

Agnar the Howler
19-06-2010, 16:12
Okay so now I'm looking at the rules..... Under the temple guard entry it says "You may choose 0 - 1 Temple Guard units per Slann in the army"..... Does that not mean max one unit only if you have a Slann?

I think you have the older book, the most current one has done away with that restriction as far as I can see.

tremulant
19-06-2010, 16:16
Thank you my good sirs! And now to decide on ogres, WE, or lizzies! Thanks again!

mdauben
19-06-2010, 16:37
And now to decide on ogres, WE, or lizzies!
Ha! Good choices (see my sig). ;)

I think all three are fun armies to collect and play. My guess (and it is just a guess) is that they will eventually shake out as (strongest) LM - WE - OK (weakest) although I think the gap from best to worst is going to close a bit in 8th compared to 7th and everything could change once they get new 8th ed books.