PDA

View Full Version : A Skaven Dilemma

ExxonValdez
19-06-2010, 16:55
I am a big proponent for WYSIWYG. ;) I spend a great deal of time sculpting and converting my armies to make them unique. I run a large block of Skaven Clanrats with my Screaming Bell (54 plus a BSB) I want to start using them as Storm Vermin. Not because I am cheap or too lazy to build another unit but because I just prefer the models. I really like the Stormvermin models but they look out of place in my army, or in my opinion most armies. They wear a Japanese style armour that looks great but stick out like sore thumb. Half of the clanrats box make clanrats the other half slaves. The clanrats are wearing armour, plate mail and chain mail. Typically in the warhammer world these types of armour are considered to be heavy armour. Whereas the slave models have rags and robes.

I would like to bits order the halberds from the Stormvermin box and viola Stormvermin.

If you were faced against a unit like this what would your reaction be?

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2010, 17:05
As long as you make it clear I would be okay with it (rats are rats after all), but it wouldn't hurt if you spent a bit of work (you like doing that I hear) to make them especially pompous, like custom banner, additional bitz and stuff. The Clanrats sprues are awfully barren, so you may have to resort to other stuff showing off their 'special' status.

As for the armor, it was my impression that the Stormvermin plate armor looked more roman in style and I think the samurai looks comes more from the paintjob, but I agree both are equally misplaced in a Skaven army. This is also the main reason why I haven't bought any until now, though they're starting to grow on me.

Oh, and yeah, armor is not necessarily WYSIWYG in Warhammer. Heck, my 1+ AS Oldblood is practically naked! ;)

zak
19-06-2010, 17:23
As long as you did something different with them or atleast informed me beforehand then I wouldn't have an issue. I really like the Storm vermin though...each to there own I suppose.

TsukeFox
19-06-2010, 17:40
Missed place? Dude the skaven are a world wide empire and they save the best stuff for the best troop. They look amazing! Albeit I like 6th edition stormvermin since they rank up better

ExxonValdez
19-06-2010, 18:48
Agreed the best armour is saved for storm vermin. Elven, Dwarven, Empire armour whatever its origin it is scavenged and given to the storm vermin. If that is the case why do they all look identical. The new models are amazing but they don't reflect the skaven as a race or society as well as the Clanrats do.

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2010, 18:55
Agreed the best armour is saved for storm vermin. Elven, Dwarven, Empire armour whatever its origin it is scavenged and given to the storm vermin. If that is the case why do they all look identical.

Probably for the same reasons the Bestigors all look identical. :rolleyes:

And I could add Grave Guard, but to be fair there is only so much you can do with skeletons, and in this case the armor is actually fitting.

Giant GW cloning program is to blame.