PDA

View Full Version : 8th Edition has warped my fragile little mind....

Piaevo
19-06-2010, 18:12
I do sense good times are ahead with 8th Edition. But since I am starting an army from the ground up I am at a loss of what to start. There are a lot of fine choices in this edition. For the most part I do want a get in your face and rip your head off army. I don't necessarily want a horde army the sizes of Orcs & Goblins or paint 300+ Skaven. But then again....you never know...

Here is my short list (and in no order):
Beastmen - Minotaurs Weee
Daemons - Still tough in 8th
Dark Elves - High Initiative and all the toys.
High Elves - High Initiative and good in every phase of the game
Lizardmen - 3d6 leadership and Slann
Ogre Kingdoms - Large Bull units with MI attacks from the second rank.

I would like some opinions/insight on what people think will work well in 8th edition with what my short list is.

/pimp away

Thanks for the help.

mrtn
19-06-2010, 18:15
I think all those armies will do well, just choose the army with the coolest models.

Techpriest
19-06-2010, 18:22
All good choices, but I am strongly in favor of Beastmen. Minotaurs and Chariot support. Throw in a couple units of Gors and Ambush one to cause all kinds of problems!

Grimstonefire
19-06-2010, 18:29
Hmm.. The 'get in your face' bit could mean having speed, which rules out daemons and lizardmen for the most part. Add on a 'rip your head off' clause and I think the best bet might be Ogres.

They also happen to be cost efficient for buying a whole new army, especially for the larger games a lot of people will be playing.

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2010, 18:43
Grim is right, Lizardmen do not really get in your face and rip your head off (that would be 'bite' in that case) but rather wait for you to come and watch your blows bounce off their armor. Where are Warriors od Chaos? :wtf:

minionboy
19-06-2010, 19:46
Ogres are very good at getting in your face, and with the new rules, their army book doesn't feel nearly as dated anymore! Both Beastmen and Ogres are surprisingly finesse armies. Sadly, Ogres are not just "squish 'em, hur hur hur."

Both elf armies are somewhat similar, and can both be extremely fast. Daemons are everywhere, tons of people play them, you will not be anything special or interesting for adding a new daemon army to the mix. They do look like an epic 80's power ballad on the field though.

Obviously, you should go for what you think looks cool, but that said, Ogres and Beasts both offer very unique play styles and are generally less often played.

Shamutanti
19-06-2010, 20:19
Go go sheepmen!

Everytime I see a Beastman army I jump in joy. Such a cool army to play against/with.

Paraelix
20-06-2010, 03:01
High Elves - High Initiative and good in every phase of the game

Superfluous comment. All High Elves have ASF. It is army wide. Initiative only comes into play for those wielding GWs and for determining whether you get rerolls to hit in combat.

jamano
20-06-2010, 03:18
Or when your opponent has ASF, or when a magic purple vortex is dropped on your head.

Latro_
20-06-2010, 18:52
Beastmen i think will turn out to get a bit more of a bump than folks think.

Main prob was ld, Its now pretty easy to get l9 stubborn with a re-roll for every test (including primal fury!)

So ye beasties are pretty much gonna have hatred a lot.

They have low cost small based cheap spearmen you can horde - Amazing unit, 50 ungors with say a minotaur hero is like 50 attacks.
They have monster infantry - got amazing
They have monsters - got even more amazing
Cygor - now pretty much a no brainer choice in all armies for magic defence.
They had lackluster magic items which let them down, the common pool of magic items more than patches that failing up.

Pete_x
20-06-2010, 18:58
If i recall correctly two ASF unit strike at the same time. It matters for the reroll to hit however.

Zaonite
20-06-2010, 21:02
Well, I say you should go fat. Ogres all the way my friend.

zak
20-06-2010, 21:10
Ogres look a good choice now. Might have to dig mine out of retirement! However, I would go with Beasties for the sheer amount of options.

Arkh
21-06-2010, 03:14
I haven't seen a beastmen player on the other side of the table in about 7-8 years, so I'd say beastmen!

I play my High Elves a lot and love to play them. The variation in units is just really nice.

Piaevo
22-06-2010, 21:55
[QUOTE=Arkh;4751395]I haven't seen a beastmen player on the other side of the table in about 7-8 years, so I'd say beastmen!QUOTE]

Yea I don't find too many beastmen players.....

Hmmm only got rid of High Elves so far...I am not doing very well...

1. Dark Elves
2. Lizardmen
3. Beastmen, Daemons, Ogre Kingdoms

Re-thinking, I like that the Dark Elf, and Lizardmen can compete in all phases, like shooting, combat and magic. If I have one crappy phase, I still have a chance to make it up in another phase.

I like the idea of Monstrous Infantry like the Minotaurs and the Ogres. Ogres squeak out ahead with bull rush. But putting together a block of 12-18 Minotaurs or Ogres is going to suck up points really quick.

Daemons are still tough as nails.

Thoughts????

LevDaddy
22-06-2010, 22:11
I'm a Vampire Counts player but as soon as the Beastmen book came out and I saw the models I had to snatch it up and I've been planning on making Beasties my 2nd army.

I read the book all the time to just think of cool strategies/combos and I have 2 battalion boxes and a box of Minos sealed in my closet waiting to be unleashed. I think they'll be a lot of fun so I say, pick Beastmen!!!!

They're so new and shiny!!!!

theunwantedbeing
22-06-2010, 22:20
Wait for the online errata on the 10th July.
Then we can really say for definite what will and wont work as untill then its pure speculation on any potential alterations.

The best advice is go for the army you like the models in best.
You can then figure out how to make it work afterwards :P

mrtn
22-06-2010, 22:45
I like the idea of Monstrous Infantry like the Minotaurs and the Ogres. Ogres squeak out ahead with bull rush.
How does it squeak out ahead? If you mean rules wise, then minotaurs have 1 impact hit each, in other words it's just like bull rush but not limited to charge range in any way.

Tadite
23-06-2010, 00:54
How does it squeak out ahead? If you mean rules wise, then minotaurs have 1 impact hit each, in other words it's just like bull rush but not limited to charge range in any way.

Minos are amazing but Ogres are so much cheaper and are core!

If monstrous infantry is your game Ogres are the place to be and now some of those common magic items help them deal with the LD issues...

Spider-pope
23-06-2010, 10:19
I'd avoid Daemons to be honest. There is still a stigma attached to being a daemon player, you'll get disparaging comments about your army whether you win, lose or draw and a lot of people jump to the conclusion that you are a powergamer no matter the evidence to the contrary.

Personally i would, and have, gone with Ogres. Theres also a monetary advantage getting them now since when their book is redone i doubt it'll stay 6 bulls for 18.

Memnos
23-06-2010, 10:32
Advantages of each:

Ogres - No other army has monstrous infantry with standards(Important for capturing objectives) as core and cheap horde units. At 2 points/model, Gnoblars will be amazing for dropping Stubborn from enemy units when they combine charge with Ogres. You will also be pleased to note that any attacks sent towards Gnoblars endangers a 2 point model instead of a 35 point model.Expect Gnoblars to be near no-brainers in the new edition.

Beastmen: At 5 points/model, Ungors can be taken as 5*7(Or more) to drop Stubborn from the enemy. Combine that with core chariots or Minotaurs to actually win the fight and Beastmen have serious advantages. Or toss Ungors spears, specialize in Shadow magic and drop a Horde unit on the board for less than 300 points with 40 S6 attacks with Hatred.

Ogres big disadvantage is that their magic is worse than standard lores, though that might be fixed with FAQ.

Hannimar
23-06-2010, 11:11
Just pick your armies based on the fluff you like the most. If in a tie, then consider models. This approach never failed me.