PDA

View Full Version : 8th Edition-2,500 pts Lizardmen (some last touches + advice)

Lotl Botl
20-06-2010, 01:17
K so with the new rules and magic, I've had to change my army quite a bit, tell me what you think, C&C welcome ;)

Help:
are their any major flaws i should adjust my army to, do i need more magic defense, do i have any unnecessary expenditures in you mind, etc. Thanks
New editions

Edited List
General:
*Slann: Lore of Life, BSB, Banner of Swiftness, Cupped Hands, Obsidian Trinket, Potion of Speed, Focus of Mystery, The Focused Rumination.

#Scar-veteran: Great Weapon, shield, Cold One, Venom of the Firefly Frog, Armor of Fortune.

Core:
18 Saurus: Standard Bearer and musician
*16 Saurus: Champion, Standard Bearer and musician
13 Skinks skirmishers: blowpipes, brave
13 Skinks skirmishers: blowpipes, brave

Special:
20 Temple Guard: Musician, Standard Bearer-Huanchi's Blessed Totem, Revered Guardian-Golden Sigil sword (Initiative 10).
6 Kroxigors
9 Chameleon Skinks

Ancient Stegadon
Salamander: Extra Handler
Salamander: Extra Handler

Paraelix
20-06-2010, 02:47
16 TG is 3 ranks of 6 and 2 sitting behind... Or are you running 5 wide?

kaintxu
20-06-2010, 03:30
16 TG is 3 ranks of 6 and 2 sitting behind... Or are you running 5 wide?

Im doing that also, more bodies, even if not achieving ranks from tipica 32 points left or things like that is a goo investment to maintain that 2 ranks longer and have just that, more bodies

Lotl Botl
20-06-2010, 05:51
yeah i was thinking just 5 wide, but adding the extra two allows me to run six wide effectively and makes the unit a little bit scarier, any comments on which lores and which power to choose

Paraelix
20-06-2010, 06:10
any comments on which lores and which power to choose

I'm stuck on exactly this...

Death is the Character sniper lore.
Life has a 2+ ward vs miscasting... And giving toughness/regen to saurus and skinks is brilliant.
Fire is... well... fire.
Shadow and Metal have some really good buff spells, but against certain armies they lack effectiveness (ie; Shadow vs Elves/Skaven for I tests, or Metal vs Beastmen as theey lack saves)
Light also has some uses... I would love to see a Saurus unit with Ws10 and I10.

I think I'm gonna have to run each of them at some point...

Sparowl
20-06-2010, 22:58
Life.

- 2+ ignore miscasts
- Every spell cast heals a wound from a model within 12 inchs. Keep your monster close.
- +2 or +4 toughness or Regeneration keeps those expensive Temple Guard up.
- Regrowth picks up those models that fall.
- The final spell destroys low strength horde units that might give your units a problem. Or any elf/empire/bretonnian/S3 player you run into.

2 test games for me, and I'm probably going to be sticking with Life.

Lotl Botl
21-06-2010, 03:28
You for some reason because the last lore of life sucked soo bad i didn't even consider it. But know that i think about, it seems like to fit perfectly for to the needs of my army, keep relatively small numbered army from getting too small and being surrounded/out numbered and it still has some nice damage spells, also my fear of 'losing control' is gone with the lore of life.
Thanks for the advice

kaintxu
21-06-2010, 03:39
I'm stuck on exactly this...

Death is the Character sniper lore.
Life has a 2+ ward vs miscasting... And giving toughness/regen to saurus and skinks is brilliant.
Fire is... well... fire.
Shadow and Metal have some really good buff spells, but against certain armies they lack effectiveness (ie; Shadow vs Elves/Skaven for I tests, or Metal vs Beastmen as theey lack saves)
Light also has some uses... I would love to see a Saurus unit with Ws10 and I10.

I think I'm gonna have to run each of them at some point...

We were just talking about this.

Metal is not goo just against beastmen, is no good agaisnt beastmen, skaven, Wood elves, High elves, Daemons, OK, undead, and with new 8th coming focusing on infantry, its also no good against empire unless we start them ruching the chuchuchu train of inner circle knights.

Shadow as said si no good against elves, and skaven right, but you have to add in WoC who go with I of 4+ on main units. but it has some great bufs hexes so can be usefull i just dont like tha base power of swapping mages around (not that usefull for a slann) and those hexxes are mainly combat so a bit of a letdown.

I love fire, to much raw power, yes maybe boring, but still loving it, plus it has some tricks if combines with a skink priest with the "pushing" spell from heaven lore.

Death I love, buts for a 2nd slann, its just all character killy and some good hexes. My main slan is there wo make my units either fight better or kill stuff, and for me its killing power :D

Beast and light meh.

Heavens has me confused, you have 2 good damage spell, you then have the COMET, you have protection against gunlines, then one hex making your anemy worst and one augmenting you. thats 6 spells and the 7 spells which is quite good tactially. Being objective is great, still, i don't know why i can't go in peace with it :S

Life, as life itself, life is good, or so should I say cuz mine is not that good, still the lore is good, is what makes our units great +2/+4 T and 4+/5+ regen?
our down to 10 man TG turning back up to 15? no mistcasts on 2+? as fire 2D6 every magic phase to the enemy. I really like it.

My only problem is....

I love raw power so i can't take my eyes off fire and i hate it.

Anyway, for the first slann i would allways go with fire or life. If i have 2, fire/life and death, death is going to be killing chars and giving you dice to throw your other spells. you can just aim one of your death spell at anything, doesnt have to be the super hero, and roll 2D6 get a 9 subtrat T3 from an elf, 6 hit wounding on 2+ 5 wounds, so 5 dice you throw getting extra dice at 5+ :D

Lotl Botl
21-06-2010, 03:56
Especially if the death slann has a bane head, it could easily drop even a super hero. I had the same problem with the lore of heavens it seems scary, tactical, and fitting but i can't stick settle on it. One problem is if you ran a skink priest it'd be pretty much useless as a spell caster. Fire is good but it's to bland for me, definitely capable of wrecking havoc though with the potential to unleash tens on tens of strength 4+ hits a turn.

Paraelix
21-06-2010, 05:26
Shadow as said si no good against elves, and skaven right, but you have to add in WoC who go with I of 4+ on main units. but it has some great bufs hexes so can be usefull i just dont like tha base power of swapping mages around (not that usefull for a slann) and those hexxes are mainly combat so a bit of a letdown.

Again though... There is 1 spell in all of LoShadow that targets a unit based on Initiative. Why does this make the whole Lord bad against high I armies? :/

Lotl Botl
22-06-2010, 04:01
Hey, any second opinions and help with the final touches would be greatly appreciated, thanks for all the help so far

Sparowl
22-06-2010, 05:08
Hey, any second opinions and help with the final touches would be greatly appreciated, thanks for all the help so far

Get another stegadon. Even one from the special section. When you start casting Life and healing wounds off of him, you'll know why. It also allows you to run at least one steg near your Temple Guard for support. Let the enemy hit the TG, you'll hold on stubborn, then the Steg can counter-charge, do impact hits and thunderstomp, and you'll likely break them. Heal/Buff with Life, Wash, repeat.