PDA

View Full Version : grand army incentive enough for 3k?

rtunian
20-06-2010, 01:48
i was looking at the 8th book in the bunker earlier today. checking the army comp section, i saw a listing for "grand army", saying at 3k you get to field additional duplicate specials or rares. the increase is from 3 to 6, and 2 to 4, for specials or rares, respectively.

do you guys think that this is incentive enough to play 3k instead of what you are used to now? let's assume for this thread that you don't have to purchase additional models in order to field a 3k army (in other words, yes people who only have 1k of models, we know that you are not going to buy 2k more)

Ultimate Life Form
20-06-2010, 01:53
'Incentive'?

Certainly not. I have enough LM models/points to play 5000 pts but never went above 2000 under the old rules. I can't see that changing under the new rules; if anything the 25% cap on characters would be an incentive for me as I like bringing the big guys.

Also in all honesty people who feel the need to do this only to be able to field 6 times the same Special and four times the same Rare (Hydra?) have my pity.

minionboy
Meh, I just see it as 2 size brackets, Normal Games and Large Games. I prefer normal.

LaurentleBete
I vote no. I think two of the same rare is too many, let alone 4 at 3k points!
Imho, you may aswell just not put a cap on it, as 4 of each rare choice is gonna be the maximum you can afford to take at 3k anyway...

Witchblade
20-06-2010, 01:59
The only rules that serve as an incentive for me to play larger games are the %-system and the horde rule. I like using >500 point characters occasionally.

destroyerlord
20-06-2010, 02:35
Imho, you may aswell just not put a cap on it, as 4 of each rare choice is gonna be the maximum you can afford to take at 3k anyway...
Some armies have rather cheap choices, its not just about the big monster of doom.
Empire mortars for example, are quite cheap. (Though they are special, not rare.) 10+ is easily possible at 2k points without the cap. Can you imagine playing against that many artillery pieces? I don't imagine it would even resemble a warhammer game, let alone actually be fun.

bluemage
20-06-2010, 06:08
I think facing 6 spear chukkas already feels like too many. I can't imagine wanting facing a gunline running 12 of them. Along with 4 doom divers and 6 rock lobbas. Not that there would really be room on a table to place them so they had a good field of vision, but I still don't want to face that.

Ramius4
20-06-2010, 07:00
Let me give you an example of what is possible in a 2000 point game with Dwarves, I can already get:

3 cannons
3 grudge throwers
3 bolt throwers
2 organ guns
1 flame cannon

That comes to only 1160 points. So really, it's not all about the choices, or 'incentive' as you say. You can do plenty of that already at lower point values. Playing higher point games comes down to whether or not you like bigger or smaller games and nothing to do with freedom of choice.

The percentage caps for special choices alone can be up to half the point value of your army and 3 of any one unit type. If you want to spam pretty much any kind of unit, you can do so at 2000 points just as well as 3000.

I enjoy very small games of 500 points all the way up to about 3500 points personally. Typical games for us run around 2250. I guess that will continue to be the way things are for us as I see no reason to stick to one point value.

Gorak
20-06-2010, 07:22
well, I voted yes mostly cause I'm working on a collection right now instead of flip flooping armies. 3k and great will be very intresting!

mrtn
20-06-2010, 11:01
If I play larger games I want to see more variety, not less. So I voted no.