PDA

View Full Version : Would the changes made in 8th edition upset you enough to change games system?

chilledenuff
20-06-2010, 09:54
Having read a few threads on here with differing opinions on 8th edition and not having played it yet (I'll be changing this status soon!) I was wondering if there's enough hate out there to make people change to something else (eg Armies of Arcana). I can't have an opinion yet as I've not tried 8th

dragonet111
20-06-2010, 09:59
If I don't like the rules I will probably stick to 40k, that's what I did with 7ed. But so far I really like 8ed, we are more a 40k group even if battle is our first game but 8ed appeals to everybody and we may switch our favorite game for battle:D

CaptScott
20-06-2010, 09:59
Yes, in general, but no overall.

If any game system is bad enough people are going to jump ship. However I don't think this is the case with 8th.

LKHERO
20-06-2010, 10:03
Depending on how bad my first couple of test games go, I'll go back to Warmachine.

Nocculum
20-06-2010, 10:12
Ah, the proverbial fear of change.

Warseer spends months complaining that 7th Edition is broken, and when it changes, they spend months scrabbling with their decrepit claws for 7th Edition to remain just as stagnant, flawed and uninteresting as it ever was.

I love the internet sometimes.

chilledenuff
20-06-2010, 10:21
I don't fear the change personally, I've survived 7 previous incarnations (it takes me approx 3 years to get used to them though :rolleyes:)
I was just wondering how many of the people who have reacted in an adverse way were really that strong in their convictions. In 3/4 years time you know some of them will be saying the same about 9th ruining the greatness that was 8th edition but that's human nature.

As an example of how changes to rulesets can have this effect, I no longer play 40k, the current version just doesn't float my boat, 2 more years(?) and it'll change. i can try it again then :).

Paraelix
20-06-2010, 10:23
Simple answer. Nothing about 8th upsets me in the slightest... In fact, I think it is largely an improvement across the board.

Artinam
20-06-2010, 10:57
I agree, yes it might be getting used to some of it. But I welcome the radical change. It freshes up the game.

Finarflin
20-06-2010, 11:00
If it upset me too much I might, so i voted no, but from the rumors it won't.

Tae
20-06-2010, 11:22
Have played over 4 games using the new rules and have watched another half dozen or so, all of which lead me to think that I will enjoy this edition more than the previosu one.

Shield of Freedom
20-06-2010, 11:23
Simple answer. Nothing about 8th upsets me in the slightest... In fact, I think it is largely an improvement across the board.

I agree, yes it might be getting used to some of it. But I welcome the radical change. It freshes up the game.

Agree.

...and agree.

My whole LFGS is loving this edition and we're starting a campaign in July to celebrate it.

Seth the Dark
20-06-2010, 13:39
I've invested too much into this system just to give it up.

zak
20-06-2010, 13:44
In fact I could see a few players of 40k and other game systems switching to Fantasy. Having played the game and read the rules in full it would appear a radical, but overall good change.

Galatan
20-06-2010, 13:45
I've invested too much into this system just to give it up.

QFT. I can't imagine anyone easily quitting if they have invested lots of money in it. Besides everything I've read about 8th till now makes it sound very promising. At least more interesting than 7th.

fluffstalker
20-06-2010, 14:02
In fact I could see a few players of 40k and other game systems switching to Fantasy. Having played the game and read the rules in full it would appear a radical, but overall good change.

This. I am an avid 40ker, and I wont give it up, but every army being essentially the same flavour of mech is getting boring. 8th ed looks like a good direction for fantasy and I will be picking it up again soon.

Ill probably still try to sneak in my basilisk into the backlines and call it a RBT though.. :eek:

Ultimate Life Form
20-06-2010, 14:06
It sounds like I've have a swell time with 8th, even more so than with 7th, but in the hypothetical situation that it would absolutely put me off I will restrict myself to the modelling and painting aspect of the hobby, that is far more important to me anyway. What I will not do is change systems; I have a closet full of unpainted stuff as is and don't feel the urge to expand the collection anytime soon. :cries:

Odin
20-06-2010, 14:22
8th edition changes have finally made me regain interest in my Chaos (Warriors) army. I am no longer shooting myself in the foot by having a mainly infantry-based force.

Illiterate Scribe
20-06-2010, 15:11
Yes, I think I'm literally going to curl up and die, that's how bad the new rules are.

Commissar Vaughn
20-06-2010, 15:15
Im a bit underwhelmed by the changes to be honest, it looks like 6th wth a new improved magic phase and a load of unneccessary baggage tacked on.

Cant see it being worth 45quid.

WarmbloodedLizard
20-06-2010, 15:27
we will probably go with altered rules, like:

-steadfast is lost when a unit is flanked
-no TLoS

and other changes if there are more ridiculously stupid rules.

Gazak Blacktoof
20-06-2010, 15:31
I think some of the rumoured changes are great, but that true-LOS in particular is very bad. I'd have to see a complete rule set and examine my crystal ball to know how it will all pan out though. The biggest issue that can arrise with an edition change is obviously balance problems, but then 7th already had those in spades so I'm not sure it could make things worse in this regard.

We were sick of 7th so haven't played a game of it in quite some time and we've just got back into house ruled 40K- 1st game yesterday- so that's going to occupy most of our gaming time. I think that we'll be giving fantasy 8th a miss until the starter set mini rulebook comes out.

WarmbloodedLizard
20-06-2010, 15:35

more like the fear of stupid rules. change doesn't mean it will be better... many changes of 8th are great but a lot of the major changes are just idiotic. (idiotic = not made for real gamers but for fluff guys, hobby guys or people that don't care much for variety and interesting strategies.)

bork da basher
20-06-2010, 15:39
i really dislike the vast majority of the changes and feel like many of them were not even needed. 7th wasn't perfect but it didnt need to be utterly changed. ive played warhammer for 16 years but decided to pack it in and move to 40k which ive wanted to do for some time now. it would be too much hassle to alter my armies, buy new rules etc just to fall in line with 8th so i sold up and moved systems.

Lord Solar Plexus
20-06-2010, 15:51
I was wondering if there's enough hate out there to make people change to something else.

Not at all. The new rules are cool. There's one single thing that makes me tear my clothes apart with tear-streaked eyes (bound spells) but who knows what the final FAQ will say.

Daredevil
20-06-2010, 16:05
Yes, I think I'm literally going to curl up and die, that's how bad the new rules are.
Please don't let us stop you.

cptmachine
20-06-2010, 16:40

I am one of those players, I got back into GW games early last year with 40K thanks to the new rules and the desire to play games again. After getting my Ork army complete I didnt consider moving to Warhammer but all the crying about game balance and broken rules stayed my hands, I bought some empire but a complete lack of local oppoents meant in the end they got sold.

Now 8th edition not only has me intresting and excite in Warhammer again but also seems to have the same effect on my circle of friends, as such a group of die hard 40K players are all make warhammer armies.

Tlotsqi
20-06-2010, 16:44
We had few games with 8th ed to prepare demos for a shop, and I like how the game has evolved. If I compare with the 3rd WH40K release, when I saw the rules I already was very disapointed, and when I tried them I stopped definitely to play. And I made a lot of games before to stop because I really loved my eldar army who now sleeps in a showcase.
My first feelings about this new WHB are completly different, there are a lot of exciting possibilities, I still have some concerns about the balance of certain things, but it's not dramatic as it will be easy to regulate them, and I'm happy to see some armies like demons forced to play in a more clever way.
Some people hate the idea to have a random charge or a premeasurement, but it's linked in the game mechanics, and all the gamers with a good wargames culture know that these rules exist in more complicated games than WHB. It's not a "kidization" of the game, it's still very tactic, very rich and demanding enough to satisfy the veterans. But with more fun, the simplifications have this virtue.
I'm very excited and I want to play again and again to try a lot of new things.

Great job GW, not perfect, but very good...Now release great minis.

ChaosVC
20-06-2010, 16:56
Will revisit this thread after I read the book, when I get it. For now, any comments is premature and I am not getting enough info of the new game to make a decision.

Deus Mechanicus
20-06-2010, 16:58
The stale system that was 7th edition is what keept me out of Fantasy! Our 40k group is looking forward to a more dynamic 8th edition

Sygerrik
20-06-2010, 17:15
Amazing rules, no way I'll change. I believe that interest in wargaming is cyclical, anyways. Sometimes you burn out on a game and switch to another. I stopped playing WM when Mk 2 was announced, not because I hated it but because I was burnt out. I play WM now and it's better than ever.

more like the fear of stupid rules. change doesn't mean it will be better... many changes of 8th are great but a lot of the major changes are just idiotic. (idiotic = not made for real gamers but for fluff guys, hobby guys or people that don't care much for variety and interesting strategies.)

With respect, this is the tired old "no true Scotsman" fallacy. No true gamer likes these changes, which means if you like these changes, you're not a real gamer. So no real gamer likes them...
I know plenty of gamers who are extremely excited about these changes, and they are definitely "real." These are people who made it to 'Ardboyz finals, who regularly win large-scale tournaments. I'm lucky enough that my LGS is one of the competitive hubs of the Easy Coast and a lot of people I talk to are thrilled about 8th.

Tlotsqi
20-06-2010, 18:31
know plenty of gamers who are extremely excited about these changes,
Like me for example, I'm a reputed tournaments player, and my padawans too, we could even be called hard core gammers, but we like this edition, after few games we have a good feeling about it.

Tarliyn
20-06-2010, 18:31
8th edition has promise. We will house rule some things but besides that I enjoy many of the changes.

artisturn
20-06-2010, 18:37
I have invested too much time and money to ever stop, If Warhammer evolves into a game where you just throw models at each other I will be there with my GW battle goggles and handfuls of skeletons and ghouls.

gormaster
20-06-2010, 19:07
The answer is YES I would switch. In fact I have invested in FOW because of some of the stuff I`ve read. That does not mean I am making the move, permanently. I will buy the book and play some games. If they have dumbed it down like I think, I`m gone, after 12 years and thousands of $$$$.

7th edition was far from perfect so I don`t expect 8th to be perfect. What I expect is for the game to not only be fun but challenging, tacticly speaking.
I do not want to play dicehammer! If I wanted a simplistic game I would play Warmachine.

I hopeing for the best. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about 8th. I guess I`ll just have to wait to see.

some_scrub
20-06-2010, 19:27
I've played a few games of 8th edition and watched a few more, read the rules and dislike many of the changes (though this isn't the place to go into why I don't like it).

That said, I still love the thing that got me into the game in the first place: the fluff and the models, and it would be pretty tough to ruin the game enough to convince me to switch game systems. I don't think 8th ed managed that.

Sygerrik
20-06-2010, 22:28
The answer is YES I would switch. In fact I have invested in FOW because of some of the stuff I`ve read. That does not mean I am making the move, permanently. I will buy the book and play some games. If they have dumbed it down like I think, I`m gone, after 12 years and thousands of $$$$.

7th edition was far from perfect so I don`t expect 8th to be perfect. What I expect is for the game to not only be fun but challenging, tacticly speaking.
I do not want to play dicehammer! If I wanted a simplistic game I would play Warmachine.

I hopeing for the best. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about 8th. I guess I`ll just have to wait to see.

PRO SKUB vs. ANTI SKUB

TheSanityAssassin
21-06-2010, 01:19
I still play lots of 40k, and have got my Warmachine force up and running incase I really hate this. I think I'll probably keep playing through minor frustrations, but heck, I'm not going to keep playing something I don't like just because I have armies.

If it does come right down to me not enjoying the new edition at all (unlikely but possible) I'll just play something I do have fun with!

J.P. Biff
21-06-2010, 01:41

Warseer spends months complaining that 7th Edition is broken, and when it changes, they spend months scrabbling with their decrepit claws for 7th Edition to remain just as stagnant, flawed and uninteresting as it ever was.

Speak on sir, speak on! You are my new favorite poster. Thank you for this... thank you, thank you, thank you. :D:D:D

Laurela
21-06-2010, 01:49
I'll have to play a few games before I make a final judgment. If I don't enjoy the game rules though and am not having fun, of course I'd change game systems.

phoenixguard09
21-06-2010, 02:01
Change system? No.
Keep playing 7th? Yes.

Seriously, these people who complain about 8th should just ask their groups to keep playing 7th. Its what I'm doing. This doesn't apply if you play tournaments. Then you're screwed. But my overall opinion of tournament regulars isn't very high. Around here they're mainly jerks and by the end of a game, if they're looking tabled, they start crying. True story.

I made a 17 year old cry. :wtf:

Sygerrik
21-06-2010, 20:04
Change system? No.
Keep playing 7th? Yes.

Seriously, these people who complain about 8th should just ask their groups to keep playing 7th. Its what I'm doing. This doesn't apply if you play tournaments. Then you're screwed. But my overall opinion of tournament regulars isn't very high. Around here they're mainly jerks and by the end of a game, if they're looking tabled, they start crying. True story.

I made a 17 year old cry. :wtf:

I remember all of the people who decided to keep playing 5th when 6th was announced. IT WILL RUIN THE GAME!
I haven't seen a game of 5th played in about 9 years. I don't think I'll see a lot of 7th, either, especially as new army books come out that simply aren't designed to work in 7th.

Everyone will agree to stay with 7th forever, until the new TK book comes out, then the TK players will get intrigued. They'll pick up a copy and try to engineer it to work in 7th. It won't really work well, so they'll make an 8th army and a 7th army. They'll play more and more 8th and less and less 7th and eventually simply stick with 8th because that's what everyone else is playing.

Then the Ogre Kingdoms book will come out...

loveless
21-06-2010, 20:09
I gave up on 7th after...well...after not being able to find an army that interested me enough.

Empire didn't paint up the way I wanted, Dark Elves have horrible Warrior models, VC got b*tched about by my opponents, and so on.

By the time something came out I really liked (Skaven), no one around me was playing it anymore. 8th is reigniting some interest, though I'll probably wait a bit to actually start assembling an army to make sure it doesn't turn into some crapfest again.

gormaster
21-06-2010, 20:45
Seventh edition needed some changes. When they went from 6 to 7 it was still Warhammer. What they did is make a new game. It is something else and it should have gotten a new name.

That does not mean it will not be fun. I hope it is. I hope it beats the cr#%p out of 7th ed., and I hope it deserves to be called WARHAMMER!

CarlostheCraven
21-06-2010, 20:59
Hi

Your poll and your openning statement are not the same: If the changes were upsetting enough, would I change? - Yes, how could I not? If the fun was gone, why would I play.

Are the changes to the system enough to make me change? - having played two games, No. The fun is still there.
Cheers,
Nate

chilledenuff
21-06-2010, 21:08
sorry, didn't mean to be ambiguous with my wording, bad forum-fu:(

Lord Inquisitor
21-06-2010, 21:15
It's a complicated question, there are three parts to it:

If the rules suck so much that my enjoyment is lessened, would I quit Warhammer, sell my models and never play it again? No, I doubt that. I've been playing WFB and 40K for two decades I don't think I'm going to just quit. I love the models, the setting and my armies too much - I love playing 40K even though I think the system is pretty sucky.

If the rules suck so much that my enjoyment is lessened, would I consider playing a different wargame? Oh yes. I'm looking at Flames of War right now as I'm rather dissatisfied with 40K.

Do I think the rules suck so much that my enjoyment is lessened? Well, too early to say, but everything looks cool apart from more destructive magic and random charges of extreme variability. But I think I'll enjoy 8th more than 7th.

SPSchnepp2
21-06-2010, 21:16
I remember all of the people who decided to keep playing 5th when 6th was announced. IT WILL RUIN THE GAME!
I haven't seen a game of 5th played in about 9 years. I don't think I'll see a lot of 7th, either, especially as new army books come out that simply aren't designed to work in 7th.

Everyone will agree to stay with 7th forever, until the new TK book comes out, then the TK players will get intrigued. They'll pick up a copy and try to engineer it to work in 7th. It won't really work well, so they'll make an 8th army and a 7th army. They'll play more and more 8th and less and less 7th and eventually simply stick with 8th because that's what everyone else is playing.

Then the Ogre Kingdoms book will come out...

That's probably how it'll go, honestly. I won't be jumping onto 8E very quickly, and quite possibly not at all. If, however, they manage to release an interesting book for Wood Elves or Bretonnians, then I might be convinced to give GW some of my money.

enygma7
21-06-2010, 21:33

It looks like that, but the internet is a lot of individuals and the angry ones always have the loudest voices...

Take a look at the poll in the which is better 7th or 8th? thread - almost everyone feels positive about 8th or has yet to form an oppinion. Less than 9% of people have formed a definite dislike of the new rules. That's not the story told be the volume of anti-8th ed posts. A similar thing happened when the new tyranid codex got slated on the 40k forums and then a poll revealed a large majority of people liked it.

SPSchnepp2
21-06-2010, 21:38
It looks like that, but the internet is a lot of individuals and the angry ones always have the loudest voices...

Take a look at the poll in the which is better 7th or 8th? thread - almost everyone feels positive about 8th or has yet to form an oppinion. Less than 9% of people have formed a definite dislike of the new rules. That's not the story told be the volume of anti-8th ed posts. A similar thing happened when the new tyranid codex got slated on the 40k forums and then a poll revealed a large majority of people liked it.

Quiet, you, with your sense and logic.
Actually, I was never one of the ones who complained about 7E. What me and my group didn't like, we changed. I thought that was how everyone operated.

Skyros
21-06-2010, 21:39
Eh? I'm wildly enthusiastic about 8th edition.

There's literally probably only 2 changes I really disagree with, and one of those could easily be FAQ'ed.

Chalk that up to about...20 changes I think will really be good for the game.

Denny_Crane
21-06-2010, 21:44
If this forum goes by anything most the people here are here to vent their rage about evil GW. In real life those people only make (guessitimating) 1/5 of a gaming group. All these people planning to boycout 8th edition is really just a tiny minority which will not affect GW one little tiny bit.

The SkaerKrow
21-06-2010, 22:16
I'd jump ship in a heartbeat if I didn't like the new version of the game. It isn't about fear of change, it's about no longer having interest when your source of entertainment suddenly moves in a direction that you do not care to follow.

indytims
22-06-2010, 00:56
If after playing a dozen games or so I decide I don't like 8th, I'll simply play something else. If my buddies also dislike it and wanna play an older WFB edition, I'll play whatever the group decides to play.

So far, I like what I am reading, though. :)

Skalfgrimm
22-06-2010, 02:07
I was already disenfanchised with 7th, but 8th seems to move WHFB even further into the direction I already disliked.

But one thing IŽd like to preface my post with is this:
"They whine about 7th, now they changed to 8th and they still whine. Cleary they donŽt know what they want" is a sentiment that I see repeated all to often. I hope that most people here on warseer will reckognize the flawed logic and so I will not condescendigly explain why this is a moronic statement.

On to which rules or changes in the game I perceive as detrimental to my personal enjoyment of the game:

Random Charging: I am not fond of this rule and I do not see the reason why it was implemented. IŽd like the movement phase to be as free of chance as possible.
Another sign of bad and inelegant rule design are the tacked on rules that prohibit fast cavalry and scouts the first turn charge. A well designed system would not need such rules, as it would not allow first turn charges to be possible.

Steadfast: A horribly clunky rule. I fully agree with the idea behind it, a deep ranked unit should be hard to break, but Armies od Arcana does this so much more elegantly: The rank bonus is added to the Ld, while the enemy rankbonus is subtracted from it when you roll for a break test.

More attacks/ more shots/ more killyness all around: Units now need more models to be about as effective as before, since they will take much more punishment than before. This feels like an obvious move to sell more models.
I am all for bigger games and more models, but IŽd like them to impact the game, not just be casualities.

Terrain rules: Absolutely horrible. I do not care one bit for laser shooting statues, maneating woods, enchanted rivers and whatnot. These rules may amuse some, but to me they are naught but boring and even annoying.

Special weapons must always be used: I do not understand this rule at all. Why was it implemented? What was wrong with being able to choose which weapons to use at the start of combat? If anyone has any idea what intention might stand behind this rule, please let me know.

TLOS: I am not keen on TLOS, but if it is well implemented, I wonŽt care. An example of bad implementation would be 40k, where I can happily walk though a brick wall that is part of a ruin area terrain, but I cannot see through it. In other words: The LOS uses the actual model of the terrain without abstractions, but the movement rules do not. IŽd prefer consistency.

Further eroding the importance of static combat resolution: More attacks, worse armor saves against low strength hits due to a changed parry rule, as well as the new stomping/crushing attacks of monstrous infantry and monsters, active combat resolution will be even more important than before making static CR relatively less important. The 3 points for ranks and one point for standard will not count much compared to the potential number of kills per combat.
Not really my cup of tea.

I really want to like 8th edition WHFB. Later this week I will be abe to get some games in, which should help me judge the game better and more fairly. But I do have the feeling that Matt Ward did not design this game with my wargaming tastes in mind. Or my tastes in a fantasy setting.

Sometimes I think Matt Ward does not even care about me. :p

gormaster
22-06-2010, 05:53
DC, If 20% of your customers are POed at you, you are in trouble.

The terrain rules are dorky, period. We will not use them. Random charges the same so we won`t use them either. I will not go to tournies where they are used or play in stores where they are used. I`d rather go ice fishing I`d August!

For those who think we all hate GW I would like to say. On second thought I better not. Suffice it to say I have advicated supporting them by not buying models made by others companies of even on eBay. If you like the game and want to see GW stick around you had better support them with your dollars.

WarmbloodedLizard
22-06-2010, 08:47
I was already disenfanchised with 7th, but 8th seems to move WHFB even further into the direction I already disliked.

But one thing IŽd like to preface my post with is this:
"They whine about 7th, now they changed to 8th and they still whine. Cleary they donŽt know what they want" is a sentiment that I see repeated all to often. I hope that most people here on warseer will reckognize the flawed logic and so I will not condescendigly explain why this is a moronic statement.

On to which rules or changes in the game I perceive as detrimental to my personal enjoyment of the game:

Random Charging: I am not fond of this rule and I do not see the reason why it was implemented. IŽd like the movement phase to be as free of chance as possible.
Another sign of bad and inelegant rule design are the tacked on rules that prohibit fast cavalry and scouts the first turn charge. A well designed system would not need such rules, as it would not allow first turn charges to be possible.

Steadfast: A horribly clunky rule. I fully agree with the idea behind it, a deep ranked unit should be hard to break, but Armies od Arcana does this so much more elegantly: The rank bonus is added to the Ld, while the enemy rankbonus is subtracted from it when you roll for a break test.

More attacks/ more shots/ more killyness all around: Units now need more models to be about as effective as before, since they will take much more punishment than before. This feels like an obvious move to sell more models.
I am all for bigger games and more models, but IŽd like them to impact the game, not just be casualities.

Terrain rules: Absolutely horrible. I do not care one bit for laser shooting statues, maneating woods, enchanted rivers and whatnot. These rules may amuse some, but to me they are naught but boring and even annoying.

Special weapons must always be used: I do not understand this rule at all. Why was it implemented? What was wrong with being able to choose which weapons to use at the start of combat? If anyone has any idea what intention might stand behind this rule, please let me know.

TLOS: I am not keen on TLOS, but if it is well implemented, I wonŽt care. An example of bad implementation would be 40k, where I can happily walk though a brick wall that is part of a ruin area terrain, but I cannot see through it. In other words: The LOS uses the actual model of the terrain without abstractions, but the movement rules do not. IŽd prefer consistency.

Further eroding the importance of static combat resolution: More attacks, worse armor saves against low strength hits due to a changed parry rule, as well as the new stomping/crushing attacks of monstrous infantry and monsters, active combat resolution will be even more important than before making static CR relatively less important. The 3 points for ranks and one point for standard will not count much compared to the potential number of kills per combat.
Not really my cup of tea.

I really want to like 8th edition WHFB. Later this week I will be abe to get some games in, which should help me judge the game better and more fairly. But I do have the feeling that Matt Ward did not design this game with my wargaming tastes in mind. Or my tastes in a fantasy setting.

Sometimes I think Matt Ward does not even care about me. :p

totally agree with you. except for TLoS. This can never be implemented well. The game is too abstract and modelling should be done for fun and great looks, not for gaining an advantage. There will also always be people that don't have the correct models, heavily modified models, raised bases, unfinished models, proxied models, some empty bases, etc.
It would be possible for a game that comes in a box without modeling options but it is stupid for a game such as Warhammer.

Alric
22-06-2010, 09:19
Having read a few threads on here with differing opinions on 8th edition and not having played it yet (I'll be changing this status soon!) I was wondering if there's enough hate out there to make people change to something else (eg Armies of Arcana). I can't have an opinion yet as I've not tried 8th

Not exactly, just plan on using 7th. Theres only about a dozen players that play WFB in my area and no one likes the changes in 8th, and there arent enough GW WFB tournaments to compel anyone to buy it.

freddieyu
22-06-2010, 09:21
TLOS works fine in 40K. It will work fine in WHFB too. How many people actually model to gain an advantage? Haven't met a player yet, and in a tourney such models shall be obvious so can be disallowed by the TO....

Pooh pooh I say. Just play. As you have said if it's time to quit then adios. the majority of us are excited by 8th ed. I predict it will be bring more fun similar to when 5th ed came out for 40K.

Skalfgrimm
22-06-2010, 10:19
Pooh pooh I say. Just play. As you have said if it's time to quit then adios. the majority of us are excited by 8th ed. I predict it will be bring more fun similar to when 5th ed came out for 40K.
Just play? Is that not a tad bit simplistic?

Let us assume for the sake of argument that WHFB 8th ed. plays a lot less like a wargame, but rather than a fast miniatures game, with a focus on "epic and cool" stuff. Or as the owner of my local FLGS put it after being briefed on 8th by GW "it is much less about being able to plan ahead, and more about pushing models over the table and rolling dice, it is great!"

If that is "the majorityŽs" idea of fun, good for you. But it certainly is not what I want.

So when they change the style of a game I like to something I do not care for I should just keep playing?

And by the way: I donŽt care for the 5th edition 40k. 4th was not perfect and not a whole lot better, but I see not a single improvement 5th brought over 4th. The missions were a good idea, but the implementation and execution is severely lacking. It is absolutely fair to say that I find it to be less fun.

totally agree with you. except for TLoS. This can never be implemented well. The game is too abstract and modelling should be done for fun and great looks, not for gaining an advantage. There will also always be people that don't have the correct models, heavily modified models, raised bases, unfinished models, proxied models, some empty bases, etc.
It would be possible for a game that comes in a box without modeling options but it is stupid for a game such as Warhammer.
I do agree, but I feel that TLOS is much less of a dealbreaker to me, than the other changes, therefor the qualifier.