PDA

View Full Version : An army you never thought you'd try based on 8th ed. rules

Knifeparty
20-06-2010, 13:44
Is anyone doing armies they never thought they would try to in this new edition based on rule changes. I personally am going to make a Cult of Khaine Dark Elf army, I've always wanted to do it, but I feel the rules have changed enough to make the army at least competitive on a friendly level. I never would have invested that much money into this before because of lack of a return on the investment gamewise at least.

Any crazy army's you've thought of just dying to be fielded?

Artinam
20-06-2010, 13:48
A pure Peasant Horde. Cheap Halberd wielding peasant in Horde formation. Where the Knights only provide flanking or Kill bonuses.

A more Peasant orientated Bretonnia is becoming more of a reality.

Spider-pope
20-06-2010, 13:55
Prior to hearing about the upcoming changes i had no intention of resurrecting my Ogre Kingdoms army. Thanks to 8th ed. and the new manager at GW Grimsby, i've spent way too much money on them the last couple of weeks and plan on adding at least a hundred Gnoblars to the army in the not too distant future.

zak
20-06-2010, 13:57
I too would like to do a peasant based Brett army, although I really dislike the new plastic peasants, so I might have to do some searching on e-bay! Knight Errants in support only with lots of mounted yeoman.

Ultimate Life Form
20-06-2010, 16:15
Now that there is no more need for 3 Core I'm starting up Daemons. Instead of 3 crappy small blocks I'll finally be able to take one or two big, impressive blocks. The % cap on Lords however means that I'd probably like to make my army 2500 points.

Leogun_91
20-06-2010, 16:31
I'm going back to my dwarfs and I'm going very light on shooting (if any).

I must however get an income first.

txamil
20-06-2010, 16:40
With the restrictions off one of the fun things about 8th will be list building. There's just so many lists to make and try now.

Ultimate Life Form
20-06-2010, 16:42
With the restrictions off one of the fun things about 8th will be list building. There's just so many lists to make and try now.

All of a sudden a Saurus only list doesn't sound that bad anymore. ;)

Running Kid
20-06-2010, 16:53
Now that slots no longer exists for special choices, I might try a HE army with lots of tiranoc and lion chariots once just for fun. That or maybe take lots of small special choices for flanking.

Emeraldw
20-06-2010, 17:14
If I were to try a new army, it would be chaos warriors.

Finally infantry shines brightly and the new rules to frenzy and march blocking make Frenzied khorne warriors so much more killy and playable. Marauders with Great weapons and mark of Khorne? Yes please!

Plus warriors have quite possibly the best set of models in the game. Gotta love them.

Crovan
20-06-2010, 17:44
Well, my VCs are taking a bit of a hit, based on what I saw in the BRB at the local GW this weekend. I'll finally get to win with a mostly Saurus LM army, and I am considering OKs due to the rank fighting rules for big models.

jullevi
20-06-2010, 17:54
Any army with infantry, really. Infantry is still going to lose combats by lots against big bois and monsters, but at least they don't automatically break every time anymore.

Lord Solar Plexus
20-06-2010, 18:04
An Empire army without the rod of command.

Chimera
22-06-2010, 01:26
An Empire army with an Engineer!

StormCrow
22-06-2010, 02:56
An empire army with parent units of halberdiers!!

bluemage
22-06-2010, 03:19
I feel a dwarf army is now worth considering, as I won't be pigeon holed into running a gun line. I realize that there are ways to play without a gun line, but they aren't effective and I could do the same thing with a different army. They're at the bottom of the list of armies to try, but they're on the list now. I guess I made up my mind while typing this.

Also warriors of chaos are pretty tempting under the new rules. Running hordes of marauders with great weapons or regular chaos warriors with their raw kill potential. And I feel that Thragg the troll king is pretty interesting and trolls look to be a bit better.

Rules wise they're making the armies I wasn't keen on, more interesting. And the armies that two armies that I feel are hurt the most, I already own.

Paraelix
22-06-2010, 03:27
I too would like to do a peasant based Brett army, although I really dislike the new plastic peasants, so I might have to do some searching on e-bay! Knight Errants in support only with lots of mounted yeoman.

!!! I love the peasant models! :(

Also, OP... Please think about appropriate grammar... I read the name and thought this was a list of armies you would not play as a result of 8th Ed.

tezdal
22-06-2010, 03:46
Mehh I don't really pick armies or units based on rules or effectiveness, just for the goodlooks and fluffyness

Voss
22-06-2010, 03:52
A pure Peasant Horde. Cheap Halberd wielding peasant in Horde formation. Where the Knights only provide flanking or Kill bonuses.

A more Peasant orientated Bretonnia is becoming more of a reality.

Same. With a prophetess (life and beasts have some absolutely amazing spells) and a BSB virtue of empathy. Why yes, the BSB isn't the army general, but somehow he's giving leadership and rerolls to all peasants in 12"....

Can't quite decide if I want more peasants or a small unit of errants to support flank charges the KoR and Grail knights, but there is a solid core of an army. Interestingly, I don't feel too bad about completely abandoning the special slot with this army.

Hrogoff the Destructor
22-06-2010, 04:24
If DoC take a big enough hit I might actually field them for the very first time (since 6th edition)!

Seabo
22-06-2010, 04:46
Definitely thinking of going Dwarfy with loads of infantry. Also really, really waffling on the WoC thing.
And hey, my Beastmen might actually win a game! :D

Sygerrik
22-06-2010, 04:47
Tons of Rat Ogres. I am going to buy 2-3 boxes next weekend, or maybe just one box and a battalion.

Rat Ogres got a HUGE buff, both as monstrous infantry and as Frenzied units with the Strength in Numbers special rule. A Warlord on Bonebreaker with 5 Rat Ogres is going to be hideous. Throw Skweel in there it's a serious deathstar.

DarkTyrany22
22-06-2010, 04:57
As a Dark Elf player, I'd have to say Corsairs. And Witch Elves to a slightly lesser extent. Not really armies per se, but the building blocks of one for sure.

Bac5665
22-06-2010, 05:04
No, no new army due to 8E, for two reasons.

1. I don't pick armies based on specific rules, but rather general tactics (magic heavy, elite infantry heavy, shooting heavy, etc.) 8E will have the same general strategies, so my view of the armies stays the same.

2. I don't think the tiers will change that much. Internal balance may change within ABs, but from what I see, 8E will widen the gaps between units that were already there, not change the relative ordering of the units so much. Obviously, some changes in power level will happen, but DoC DE and VC will stay towards the top, lizards and WoC right behind.

Oh, ok, VC may be coming down to the level of lizards and WoC. But then again, with 25%, 25% for characters maybe not. The core restrictions hurt everyone, not just VC.

Coldblood666
22-06-2010, 05:53
A Chaos Warrior/ Troll horde. Wth the new plastic Trolls it will be easy too and look great on the battlefield.

Gorak
22-06-2010, 07:35
I picked up a DoC for 8th.....40 bloodletters, no room for a named greater deamon in 2000pts. Oh and bloodthirsters......I'll I have to say thunderstomp rules!!!!!!!!

Korraz
22-06-2010, 07:46
Bretonia. And Rat Ogres.

dragonet111
22-06-2010, 08:02
I play Tzeentch since 5ed. With the 8ed I will be able to field a nasty horde of the mighty pink horrors:D. The new rules don't push me toward another army but now allow me to field the army I really want to play.

Tadite
23-06-2010, 01:05
Tons of Rat Ogres. I am going to buy 2-3 boxes next weekend, or maybe just one box and a battalion.

Rat Ogres got a HUGE buff, both as monstrous infantry and as Frenzied units with the Strength in Numbers special rule. A Warlord on Bonebreaker with 5 Rat Ogres is going to be hideous. Throw Skweel in there it's a serious deathstar.

AMEN! I've always wanted to do a moulder army and now I have a excuse!

I'm doing the same thing! The very very same thing! hahah

HeroFox
23-06-2010, 01:33
Going to put Lothren Sea Guard back into my list.

'nuff said.

Aluinn
23-06-2010, 01:47
I'm kind of at the other end if things because I've been playing Empire without artillery. Granted, the army is helped by new Lores (I run a Wizard Lord), but I think I'll now need to get some mortars or a Hellstorm battery. Handgunners and Archers are still fine, but since opponents will be crossing the board faster (or, if they themselves have war machines, just outranging everything but super-expensive powered-up spells), I think I'll need more punch and more ability to thin out hordes.

By the way, I hear people mentioning that mortars were buffed, but rarely hear anything about the Hellstorm. As I understand, with the removal of guessing, it's pretty much a S5 mortar with an arguably better misfire table--the "Oops!" result still lets you fire next turn and will most often scatter off the battery but not far enough to hit your troops. Am I missing something here?

TheSanityAssassin
23-06-2010, 03:27
I'm happy because I already have a Peasant Horde. The fun thing is it will actually work. I'm thinking of putting all my peasant Archers 3 deep 10 wide....they might actually stand up in a combat.

I also have a Dark Elf army with 80 corsairs. Again....suddenly becoming feasible.

The thing that I'm considering that I never thought I would before is Goblins. SOOO many goblins.

enigma-96
23-06-2010, 04:11
I'm happy because I already have a Peasant Horde. The fun thing is it will actually work.
The thing that I'm considering that I never thought I would before is Goblins. SOOO many goblins.

This is pretty much me right here. I've always played a pure goblin army and have laughed through every loss, note: there has not been a game I haven'te laughed ;)....sigh. But now I have a new reason to laugh.....goblins causing terror :evilgrin:. MMmmmmm I'm loving that new terror banner so much I'll be converting up one BSB to look like a Charlie Brown sheet-ghost, cuz we all know that goblins are new to this terror thing.

Seriously tho it's awesome how 8th has given a new lease on life for all the older armies (tomb kings aside but they got a new book coming so who cares).

If I were to start a new army it would be the one I've always wanted to do besides goblins...all Marauder list WITHOUT marauder horsemen....here comes the vikings.

Templar47
23-06-2010, 08:02
How about a horde of Glade Guard :D.

*SQUEE*
23-06-2010, 08:10
Building and Orc and Gobbo army. Glad infantry are not the handicap they were in 7th.

Thordoc
23-06-2010, 11:09
I'm not starting any new armies, but I'll be adding to my existing combat dwarf army, bring on the greataxes. I have also started this year a WoC army, luckily it's been nothing but battalion boxes so far, so many more marauder units to come, and most likely grabbing some OK ogres to use as chaos ogres, looking forward to fielding a hoard style ogre unit lol.

a full infantry style empire army is tempting, chock full of state troops, with a healthy dose of those frothing loonies the fanatics