PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming 8th Edition, Well done GW

Hrolfr Varini
20-06-2010, 15:48
Throughout my senior year in high school and up until 1990 I played WFB.

Though I have followed subsequent developments over the years since that time, never considered playing again until now.

I really like everything I have seen that has been changed, especially the renewed emphasis on common core troops which sadly for so long have been considered disposable trash.

The book looks marvelous.

This edition may take the game system into a refreshed direction.

The emphasis upon who fields the most convoluted pieces of over powered broken garbage is about to shift a bit.

Winning against some disadvantaged person with poor optical vision and depth perception on a modest budget will no longer be the norm.

The revised magic system sounds quite intriguing.

It's good to see GW change the recipe, stir the kettle, and remodel the banquet hall.

It's so entertaining to sit back, observe, and chuckle at the overly competitive types who must win at all costs.

The vermin are all having a coronary scampering about all over the borough though aren't they ?

I know of several aged players that are now dusting off shelved old favorites, repainting grizzled veterans that got tucked away long ago before cheese became main dish at the table.

Yes the old kitchen and dining room indeed needed to be gutted, remodeled, and refurnished.

It will be good to be sitting down at the table again with our friends as we all begin to re-discover a classic dish with new seasonings and spice.

General Squeek Squeek
20-06-2010, 15:53
you'd better be careful, words of praise for GW aren't looked upon to kindly in these parts. :p

Actually, in all seriousness I too am totally excited for the new book. The rules look intriguing, and my beast men might actually come off the shelf I put the on. Oh, and the book they're putting out is absolutely gorgeous looking.

Ultimate Life Form
20-06-2010, 15:56
Yes, 8th is definitely a success from what I'm hearing. It will draw new players in (good for GW), refresh the enthusiasm of the fans (good for us) and cut off withering branches of people who weren't sure about staying in anyway (good riddance).

Sounds like a win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win situation to me.

For all the blunders you have delivered in the recent past, well done GW and kudos.

Ramius4
20-06-2010, 16:05
For all the blunders you have delivered in the recent past, well done Mat Ward and kudos.

I fixed that for you;)

Actually, besides the daemon book, I've always been a fan of Mat Ward's rules development work. WoTR is a phenomenal system.

He should stay away from fluff however...

rtunian
20-06-2010, 16:16
although until now, i've never metaphor i didn't like, i dare say you have gone overboard in the op.

also, different people enjoy different aspects of the game. some enjoy competition and ultra-competitiveness. don't kid yourself: these people are not going away. further, comparing ultra/competitive gamers to rats (by which i don't mean skaven) is a pretty crappy thing to do, is very offensive, and is just sort of tripe that makes all of us fluffy, beer-and-pretzels gamers look bad.

Nocculum
20-06-2010, 16:23
He's right, though, isn't he ;)

GideonRavenor
20-06-2010, 16:34
He should stay away from fluff however...

And, looking at the book, he has! Phil Kelly wrote the background section...

Leogun_91
20-06-2010, 16:38
further, comparing ultra/competitive gamers to rats (by which i don't mean skaven) is a pretty crappy thing to do, is very offensive, and is just sort of tripe that makes all of us fluffy, beer-and-pretzels gamers look bad.There are similarities. I mean both love cheese.

txamil
20-06-2010, 16:38
8th is going to bring me back to the game, so gj gw.

Spider-pope
20-06-2010, 16:57
And, looking at the book, he has! Phil Kelly wrote the background section...

You mean all the Warhammer races won't secretly aspire to be Ultramarines? Fantastic.

I've been apathetic about WFB for the last few editions, 8th is the first to rekindle my interest in the game and inspired me to actually finish an army that isn't my Chaos Dwarfs.

rtunian
20-06-2010, 16:59
There are similarities. I mean both love cheese.

well if you want to get right down to it, rats will eat anything they can find (they are scavengers after all), but given the choice, they will choose meat over cheese every time. the idea that rodents love cheese is as misinformed as the idea that there are no miscasts in 8th edition. in other words, just because a bunch of people said it, doesn't mean that it's true.

Sygerrik
20-06-2010, 17:12
I love the book. I was terrified of the Wardmonger ruining it, but the changes are subtle enough that it still feels like the game we all love, but it's nicely streamlined and seems to have corrected a lot of the issues with 7th.

Foxbat
20-06-2010, 17:19
I also think GW has done a good job to move WHFB forward.

It's good to see GW change the recipe, stir the kettle, and remodel the banquet hall.

It's so entertaining to sit back, observe, and chuckle at the overly competitive types who must win at all costs.

The vermin are all having a coronary scampering about all over the borough though aren't they ? As for power gamers, I really don’t see why they will run and hide from this edition. I am sure that they will take great comfort in the fact that MW was the lead on this project and given his recent works will be looking forward to finding new and wonderful ways of abusing the rules.

Cheese is not dead; its flavour is just changing. I just hope it becomes a milder flavour under 8th instead of a sharper one... But then again with MW, who knows...

SilasOfTheLambs
20-06-2010, 17:26
I'm not as unequivocally thrilled as the OP, but I am moderately pleases after my first game. Some abuses have been fixed, some interesting rules added, and really the best part is: if you don't like some of the more complex things (terrain, scenarios, etc) you can leave them out with little trouble. I'll give the book a 7-8 on the ten scale for now. Well done GW.

Wolf 11x
20-06-2010, 17:28
You do realize that 8th will have overpowered builds, just like every edition of Fantasy & 40k prior.

I'm led to assume you're a GW employee.

SeaSwift
20-06-2010, 17:31
Nah, around the time new editions come out, they tend to cater for most armies (internal and external balance included - just not over 100 models :p), with some notable exceptions. It is when the first army books start coming out that power builds start cropping up so badly.

So, word of warning to GW: DON'T SCREW IT UP WITH BADLY DONE ARMY BOOKS

Killgore
20-06-2010, 17:40
Im really looking forward to this new edition, I havnt played WHFB since mid last year

The new movement and magic rules are most intruiging, Im thinking of dusting of my old Warriors of Chaos force :D

jullevi
20-06-2010, 17:59
After my first test game of 8th, the game definitely seems more fun for beer-and-pretzels gaming than previous editions (although we usually tend to skip pretzels in favour of more beer) with more events happening on the battlefield all the time. It remains to be seen how well 8th edition suits tournament play, but I don't really care about that part.

Loki73
20-06-2010, 18:09
Why would a GW emp bother geting on the boards to self congradulate? LOL rediculous.

I am Loki73 this edition of WHFB is gonna rock ....and im not a GW employee thank you!

dragonet111
20-06-2010, 18:37
I think we had 5 games with 7ed. We always choose 40K over battle but 8ed is very appealing to me I think we are going to play battle a lot more as soon as the July 10:D.

Cider
20-06-2010, 18:42
Wow,
I am a little pissed off about 8th K. and yes the K is ment to be there.
I feel that GW has taken and allowed people who play 40K to write this book.
there are some things that I find interesting like the magic, and also hordes rules.

but I also find some things to be way wrong, like random charge distance, and fleeing troops that are charged will just die rather then continue to flee. that makes no sence to me.

I will be a player who will not incorperate all of the 8th K rules into our friendly games. as for tourney's well they dont happen in our area for me to worry about them.

I feel that there will be some things that most will like, but I feel that maybe the rules have swung too far with the randomness and will need to come back before these rules are embraced by all.

Argent
20-06-2010, 18:46
Wow,
there are some things that I find interesting like the magic, and also hordes rules.

but I also find some things to be way wrong, like random charge distance, and fleeing troops that are charged will just die rather then continue to flee. that makes no sence to me.

I will be a player who will not incorperate all of the 8th K rules into our friendly games. as for tourney's well they dont happen in our area for me to worry about them.

I feel that there will be some things that most will like, but I feel that maybe the rules have swung too far with the randomness and will need to come back before these rules are embraced by all.

As of right now, the only rule my friends and I are iffy about is the d6+4 pieces of terrain per game rule. Other then that, its mostly clarification and ease of use rules.

zetaplus
20-06-2010, 19:07
I genuinely, seriously, CANNOT WAIT for this book. It has already motivated me to go into hyper building mode in preparation for painting my Skaven army, and already have games planned all of launch day with one of my mates and a case of beer!

Magister
20-06-2010, 20:51
I don't even play fantasy, but 8th looks awesome!

(Intiative order ftw)

EmperorNorton
20-06-2010, 21:05
(Intiative order ftw)

That's actually the part I like least...might have something to do with me only getting to play against High Elves, though.
I remain sceptical, but GW have brought me to preorder the rulebook, so that's a bit of an accomplishment.

Freakiq
20-06-2010, 21:59
Wow,

You don't need to play 8th edition.

GW's agents will not burn your earlier edition while you sleep.

Better to release something new than releasing a rehash with minor tweaks.

If you like 8th edition then play it, prefer 7th? Then play that instead.

Coldblood666
20-06-2010, 22:13
I like Warhammer; Not herohammer, magichammer, or monsterhammer. 8th edition brings us back to Warhammer. :D

boreas
20-06-2010, 22:23
I started wargaming with WFB 6th ed about 10 years ago... 7th drew me away and I've been a 40k player for the last 6 years. Yet, what I read about 8th might just bring me back. Especially since GW seems eager not to give me a Codex (I play DH/WH/Necrons).

Ok, let's admit it, I've ordered a battalion box of Lizzies!

Phil

DarkstarSabre
20-06-2010, 22:58
I have to confess having been reading through it...I love 8th edition. It's opened up the variety. I can now quite happily do odd, quirky armies and not immediately get ROFLSTOMPED for not bringing the required number of wizards for 'teh win.'

Saurus Warhost, here I come!

Seth the Dark
20-06-2010, 23:02
The new edition should prove a different challenge to the current rules set.

EldarBishop
20-06-2010, 23:06
You don't need to play 8th edition.

GW's agents will not burn your earlier edition while you sleep.

Better to release something new than releasing a rehash with minor tweaks.

If you like 8th edition then play it, prefer 7th? Then play that instead.

Here, here...

I played both 2nd and 3rd edition 40k until about the time that 4th came out :D

The new edition should prove a different challenge to the current rules set.

As long as the rules are largely balanced and all armies are playable... I'm all for it.

Nocculum
20-06-2010, 23:42
I like Warhammer; Not herohammer, magichammer, or monsterhammer. 8th edition brings us back to Warhammer. :D

This is the most profound and useful thing anyone has said on Warseer Fantasy General in the last month! :D *

*Although Step up and Stubborn infantry is retarded, no matter what anyone says - Wood Elf Player right here you see...

Wendersnaven
20-06-2010, 23:51
Topic= Well done GW

To me, the crux as others have mentioned was fixing 'abuses' of 7th edition. :o

Ozorik
20-06-2010, 23:57
8th ed is an improvement in most ways with one glaring exception; the movement phase, which is a shame given its importance to the game as a whole.

Just about every change that has been made here will be deleterious to the game to the extent that I have no enthusiasm for fantasy anymore.

I applaude the prominent position that core infantry will play, its such a shame that they will be reduced to fighting in a vast scrum with little thought given to positioning and winning through weight of dice rather than tactics.

Coldblood666
21-06-2010, 00:10
Yea Tzeentch Daemon armies, assassin/hydra spam, Vampire counts were all armies/builds that got very annoying to play against and seemed to abuse the system.

brendel
21-06-2010, 00:13
I have enjoyed all editions that i have played, started during5th ed, and will enjoy this edition as well, there were things i didnt like about the rules in these older versions but as a whole have been they have been all good, I have been playing for over 10years now and cant see me changing my mind about the game now, just need now to get the new set of rules so i can try it out.

~PrometheuS~
21-06-2010, 00:19
Matt ward wrote 8th, his blunders will become known as soon as people start playing it more.......

He should of been banned from writing books, after the DoC incident :rolleyes:

Bac5665
21-06-2010, 00:32
8th ed is an improvement in most ways with one glaring exception; the movement phase, which is a shame given its importance to the game as a whole.

Just about every change that has been made here will be deleterious to the game to the extent that I have no enthusiasm for fantasy anymore.

I applaude the prominent position that core infantry will play, its such a shame that they will be reduced to fighting in a vast scrum with little thought given to positioning and winning through weight of dice rather than tactics.

This post is exactly how I feel. Movement is the heart and soul of this game, and it has been butchered.

Look, Everything outside of the movement phase is great (except for step up, which I think is a terrible idea, but that's just me.) Lots this edition is great, the book looks awesome and the rules seem to be written better, though it will be basically impossible to tell for a while yet. But the movement phase has changed dramatically, and I can't really think of something about the new phase I like.

J.P. Biff
21-06-2010, 02:06
So, word of warning to GW: DON'T SCREW IT UP WITH BADLY DONE ARMY BOOKS

This really is what will make or break this edition IMO. I guess time, as usual, will tell. /crossfingers

malisteen
21-06-2010, 03:05
Bah. It's alright after the first couple play throughs, but I'm sure issues will arise as people get into the game. They always do. I'm neither overwhelmingly for nor against the edition.

But the people who think cheese is gone are fooling themselves. The power gamers will find the lists that work best in the system, and the fluff players will lose to them.

As for those praising the end of hero-hammer, my first game of 8th was 1k points against an empire mage lord. And let me tell you, at least at those points hero-hammer isn't dead. I won the game - but it was because I killed his wizard, not his army. And killing his wizard won me the game because then my vampire and necromancer could spam invocation, raise dead, and vanhels relatively unimpeded, not because of anything my troops could do on their own.

Again, maybe bigger games are different, and maybe it's skewed because of my army, but both the games I played so far revolved pretty much entirely around the characters on the field.

SPSchnepp2
21-06-2010, 03:25
This post is exactly how I feel. Movement is the heart and soul of this game, and it has been butchered.

Look, Everything outside of the movement phase is great (except for step up, which I think is a terrible idea, but that's just me.) Lots this edition is great, the book looks awesome and the rules seem to be written better, though it will be basically impossible to tell for a while yet. But the movement phase has changed dramatically, and I can't really think of something about the new phase I like.

Random charge distance. I still can't get over random charge distance.

I dislike losing the 'charger strikes first' thing, but that's mostly due to the fact that Bretonnian knights are kinda low on Init.

Wednesday Friday Addams
21-06-2010, 03:42
Bah. It's alright after the first couple play throughs, but I'm sure issues will arise as people get into the game. They always do. I'm neither overwhelmingly for nor against the edition.

But the people who think cheese is gone are fooling themselves. The power gamers will find the lists that work best in the system, and the fluff players will lose to them.

As for those praising the end of hero-hammer, my first game of 8th was 1k points against an empire mage lord. And let me tell you, at least at those points hero-hammer isn't dead. I won the game - but it was because I killed his wizard, not his army. And killing his wizard won me the game because then my vampire and necromancer could spam invocation, raise dead, and vanhels relatively unimpeded, not because of anything my troops could do on their own.

Again, maybe bigger games are different, and maybe it's skewed because of my army, but both the games I played so far revolved pretty much entirely around the characters on the field.

How was it unimpeded?