PDA

View Full Version : Magnetize?

Shas'o Brightsword
20-06-2010, 15:48
I have read a couple of threads on this and seen videos of it. Looks like a really good idea so i don't have to just stick with what i have already glued to my models. I mean plenty of times i wanted to change my Crisis suits weaponry but couldn't because they are glued on. How do I magnetize? and where can i buy suitable magnets? Thanks for any responses.

MOMUS
20-06-2010, 15:53
There is a whole section on this forum called 'painting, modelling and terrain'

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62319

precinctomega
20-06-2010, 15:55
Search for "neodymium magnets" on eBay. There are dozens of sellers.

You'll find a range of different sizes, depths and shapes. Generally speaking, coin-shaped magnets, 5-6mm wide and 1-3mm deep are what you're after (although I used much larger ones on some titans recently). Use a hand drill to create depressions in the surfaces you want to join and glue the magnets into the depression.

A common mistake (and one I made several times) is to accidentally put the magnets in the wrong way around so that some weapon options just won't stick. Always try to do a dry run before you glue and use a permanent marker to mark the side that should be outwards. I like to use a wooden skewer with a little tacky putty on the end to place the magnets into the depression (I've more than one absent-mindedly used my craft knife only for the magnet, of course, to stick to the knife instead of the glue!).

It's fiddly when you start, but gets easier with practice and experience.

R.

Chaosheade
20-06-2010, 17:19
I use 1/8" x 1/16" and 1mm x 1mm disc magnets for small stuff, got 100 of each from ebay for ~$10 US. I don't put magnets on both sides of the stuff I want magnetized. Instead I put a magnet on one side and some small pieces of paper clips on the other side. You don't have to worry about getting polarities right and you use half the number of magnets (or even less if you do it right).

Personally I use another piece of paper clip to put the magnets in place. The very first magnet I put in place got pushed too far in. I did not have any way to pull it back out before the glue dried so it sank in to the torso of one of my marines and was stuck there. Having the extra space there really diminished the power of the magnet since the metal on the other side was not in contact. I learned that lesson very quickly.

t-tauri
20-06-2010, 17:21
There is a whole section on this forum called 'painting, modelling and terrain'

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62319
Indeed. Please try a search before posting threads. Thread closed.