PDA

View Full Version : Hrud using necron rules?

duffybear1988
20-06-2010, 22:09
Well I just stumbled across some rather funky looking space skaven heads online and it got me thinking of the hrud (a project I considered many years ago).

Now that I come to think about it I think that the hrud can best be represented by the necron rules... and here is why -

1) The WBB ability of the Necrons could represent the hrud as they have been exposed to harsh toxins and conditions which could toughen their skin etc. It could also represent their nature as cowards maybe (playing dead?).

2) Phase out could again represent their ability to disappear back into the sewers and nooks and crannies when the odds get stacked against them etc.

3) The Hrud fusil could easily stand in for the gauss flayer as it is said to harness the power of the warp.

4) Scarabs could be giant rats, I would convert plague monks with the space skaven gasmask heads and kroot rifles to represent necron warriors, skaven night runners could easily make flayed ones, obviously some other themed stuff as well.

So does anyone think it reasonable that I could run this at a non GW-run tournament and get away with it or would you be picky? The models would technically be mostly GW except the heads so I don't see any major problem. Maybe if I came up with a list and post it later that might make things clearer?

Bunnahabhain
20-06-2010, 23:08
Frankly, given how high a percentage of the models (as proposed) will be GW, I can't see how even GW run tournaments would have a problem, so long as you meet all the standard conditions for a good counts as...

-right kind of size
-weapons feel right, and are clearly identifiable
- Troop types feel right, and easily told apart

also, for any major counts as, do a cheat sheet, and leave it on the side of the board, saves your opponent getting confused, asking you stuff lots of times, etc, etc.

Unit name ,[thumnail pic of sample model] = XXXX
Repeat for al units.

Makaber
20-06-2010, 23:14
There's actually quite a bit of info on the Hrud, and they're not all that Skaven-like after all.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hrud

With that in mind, maybe it would just be easier to invent your own race of space-faring rat-creatures?

Chem-Dog
20-06-2010, 23:51
Well I just stumbled across some rather funky looking space skaven heads online

PXPLZ

Now that I come to think about it I think that the hrud can best be represented by the necron rules... and here is why -

1) The WBB ability of the Necrons could represent the hrud as they have been exposed to harsh toxins and conditions which could toughen their skin etc. It could also represent their nature as cowards maybe (playing dead?).

2) Phase out could again represent their ability to disappear back into the sewers and nooks and crannies when the odds get stacked against them etc.

3) The Hrud fusil could easily stand in for the gauss flayer as it is said to harness the power of the warp.

4) Scarabs could be giant rats, I would convert plague monks with the space skaven gasmask heads and kroot rifles to represent necron warriors, skaven night runners could easily make flayed ones, obviously some other themed stuff as well.

Firstly I'd say, On principal I have no problem with any well executed Counts As army, if you want to do it, don't let anyone tell you it's a bad idea :)
This is the bit where I tell you it's a bad idea...
Not really ;)
But I don't personally feel the Necrons represent the Hrud as I see them...

I don't think that the Damons army (with some judicious choices/omissions) would do all that badly in representing the Hrud.
Leave out anything that's an MC...

The Army's Deployment rules can represent the Hrud seeping out of the shaddows.
Cross the board EC and Inv save represent both the resilience you mentioned AND their shadowy nature.
Flamers and Horrors of Tzeench can throw out some formidable fire, the Fusils you wanted :)
I could go on...

AbusePuppy
21-06-2010, 01:01
Why would you use the Necron rules on purpose?

Setesh
21-06-2010, 13:00
hrud don't look anything like skaven

Grimtuff
21-06-2010, 13:35
Best rules I think are Eldar, mainly with Pathfinders up the wazoo for your troop choices and many a Warp Spider for "shadow stalker" type things that literally appear from the shadows. ;)

Wishing
21-06-2010, 14:43
I gotta say that I don't see any link between the Hrud picture from the 3rd ed rulebook and the picture and description on the lexicanum site linked above. Seems to be a case of different authors using the same name for two different things, or the same author changing their mind over a period of time perhaps.

For rulebook-based skaven-like Hrud, I agree with grimtuff that Eldar rules seem to fit better than Necrons to me - speed and agility just seem to fit better for skitterish ratmen than resilience and slow determination.

Grimtuff
21-06-2010, 14:51
For rulebook-based skaven-like Hrud, I agree with grimtuff that Eldar rules seem to fit better than Necrons to me - speed and agility just seem to fit better for skitterish ratmen than resilience and slow determination.

As you can see, i've thought about it a lot. :p

I've made a test model made from a LOTR Ringwraith with Kroot arms/gun and GS sleeves.

Were money no object I would make this army. ;)

Wishing
21-06-2010, 15:27
I've made a test model made from a LOTR Ringwraith with Kroot arms/gun and GS sleeves.

Were money no object I would make this army.

Sounds cool. Agreed on the money issue, which is why if I were to do a project like this, I'd definitely base the army on a plastic unit box (like skaven) and just add green stuffed cowls to everyone. My days of painting pewter 40k models are thankfully over. :)

Lord Damocles
21-06-2010, 16:57
To quote myself from the last Hrud thread in 40K General:

I'd go with Eldar.

Pathfinders as Hrud gives you super-Stealth (representing their ability to blend with shadows) and super-Rending guns (representing the plasma weapon nature of the Hrud Fusil).

Beyond basic Hrud foot soldiers, we don't really know anything about their military capabilities; so that might cause a few problems (one would assume that they'd have no armoured vehicles, what with living between the decks of Imperial warships, under cities etc.) An Autarch, possibly with Power Weapon (stolen Agoniser etc.), Fusion Gun ('cos ye need to kill tanks...), and Warp Jump Generator (representing the little fella's ability to aparantly 'skip' between areas of shadow) to represent some sort of leader (Warlord, Chieftan?)

Also, Hrud aren't Space Skaven (Xenology).

----------------------------------------

I gotta say that I don't see any link between the Hrud picture from the 3rd ed rulebook and the picture and description on the lexicanum site linked above. Seems to be a case of different authors using the same name for two different things, or the same author changing their mind over a period of time perhaps.
That or people saw something which may or may not be a tail, jumped to the conclusion that the Hrud were Skaven in space, and then repeated that so often that it came to be regarded as fact...

Either way, the Hrud definately aren't Skaven/rat-like, so a ratmen-in-space army simple won't be a Hrud army.

Logan_uc
21-06-2010, 22:02
Well I just stumbled across some rather funky looking space skaven heads online and it got me thinking of the hrud (a project I considered many years ago).

So does anyone think it reasonable that I could run this at a non GW-run tournament and get away with it or would you be picky? The models would technically be mostly GW except the heads so I don't see any major problem. Maybe if I came up with a list and post it later that might make things clearer?

IMHO using necrons to represent creatures that a man can squash under his feet, dosent seem a very good idea, the only thing that necrons have that might pass for hurd is the gauss flayer for a fusil and that is big "might".

And hurd arent skaven in space, they arent mutant rats, look at xenology for a good image.

Wishing
21-06-2010, 23:26
That or people saw something which may or may not be a tail, jumped to the conclusion that the Hrud were Skaven in space, and then repeated that so often that it came to be regarded as fact...

I guess to me it boils down to what looks cooler. You're right that it's awkward if people think that its a fact that Hrud = space skaven when fluff has been published to deny this. But at the same time, this is a game of fantasy, so I'm all in favour of people choosing themselves what to take and what to leave of what is published and building their armies based on what they think look coolest. If I wanted to build an army of hooded scavengers with long rifles and rat tails (which I may want to do some day), I'd personally prefer to imagine them looking like ratmen than like bendy starfish-men under the hoods.