PDA

View Full Version : Withering + 8th edition

Arkh
20-06-2010, 23:37
Here's a question for those of you who have inspected the new rulebook.

In 7th edition, if a model's Toughness or Strength was reduced to 0 or less, the model died. Is that still the case in 8th edition? If so... Don't the spells Withering + Enfeebling Foe seem a little insane? 5+ target enemy unit with T3 or S3 or less goes POOF.

Free Spirit
20-06-2010, 23:41
Here's a question for those of you who have inspected the new rulebook.

IIRC... in 7th edition, if a model's Toughness was reduced to 0 or less, the model died. Is that still the case in 8th edition? If so... Doesn't the spell Withering seem a little insane? 5+ target enemy unit with T3 or less goes POOF.

yes, it says so specifically.

edit: but you can always dispell it ofcourse

Arkh
20-06-2010, 23:49
Wow that's ridiculously strong... I know the new lores are stronger for the most part. But compare those spells to the Lore of Metal 6th spell... Makes that spell look terrible.

The rumor summary HAS to not be including the fact that those spells can't reduce the strength or toughness below 1. Otherwise there are two spell within one lore that can flat out destroy entire units ignoring saves of any kind on a simple 5+ roll.

Punjoke
21-06-2010, 00:56
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I read the rulebook yesterday and I could have sworn that there was a rule for spells that specifically said they wouldn't drop stats below 1 unless the spell stated it did. I remember taking note of it because I'd read the spell descriptions previously and was wondering if they'd just outright kill T3 units. I don't remember seeing that it could, but I could be wrong.

Gork or Possibly Mork
21-06-2010, 01:56
Even if those spells have the capability to outright kill a unit on 5+

1. Start of game they won't be in range.
2. When you get in range be sure you can dispel it with your new found 2d6 take highest DD. Maybe a wizard or two to help channel some extra DD or even giving them +1 to dispel items and or a dispel scroll.
3. Mage hunt as soon as possible by any means.
4. Wizards need to roll to get those spells in the first place and you can't have duplicate spells so they won't really be able to spam. If your T4 you'll be safe ( pretty sure it doesn't stack ). If T3 do 2-3 above or hope they don't reach the casting cost or if they do hope they don't roll 5+. Also since lvls are added to casting/dispelling from what I've heard that something to look at too.

Honestly I don't think it's any worse than your current doom spells like gateway, curse of leper etc.

Nicha11
21-06-2010, 01:57
Lore of Shadow becomes pretty insane if a 0 zero stat=death.

Tyrannus
21-06-2010, 03:00
All Lore of Shadow spells specifically limit mins to 1

Arkh
21-06-2010, 03:05
All Lore of Shadow spells specifically limit mins to 1

Good to know!