PDA

View Full Version : What About 8th Are You Excited About?

Vandelan
21-06-2010, 05:13
I was just wondering what the community is most excited about, maybe see what sort of things players of different armies are excited about.

I can't wait to try out the new magic items. A lot of them are just plain cool, and a fair number of the magic banners are going to see use in my lists.

As far as playing Dark Elves, I'm excited that I no longer am required to pursue everything without getting the chance to restrain my units.

Ultimate Life Form
21-06-2010, 05:48
Break out my Slann and finally nuke the enemy into oblivion as he's supposed to do! :evilgrin:

TheSanityAssassin
21-06-2010, 06:56
See just how much blood my High Elves can shed...the more I read the more it seems like they WILL be able to compete, and they'll have to do it by being the killyest infantry army in the game, which is really where they should be!

Peregijn
21-06-2010, 07:56
finally having my 60+ chaos warriors on the table :evilgrin:

Odin
21-06-2010, 13:32
I'm excited that my infantry will actually take part in the battle, rather than just concentrating on not taking too many casualties.

Lord Solar Plexus
21-06-2010, 13:36
Shooting exercise with two volley guns and the before mentioned 60+ Chaos guys!

Jack of Blades
21-06-2010, 13:38
Break out my Slann and finally nuke the enemy into oblivion as he's supposed to do! :evilgrin:

I find myself in tune with your thinking on more and more things :p

Loki73
21-06-2010, 13:44
Trying out skaven warrior lords and grey seers in the same army. Huge blocks of 40 clan rats w spears. The new magic items to give my assasins!

dragonet111
21-06-2010, 13:49
The rock'n roll magic:D definitely

King_Pash
21-06-2010, 13:49
Making Mages into massive Dragon monsters that still rank up in an infantry unit and launch them at that damned Screaming Bell or Plague Furnace!

Valtiel
21-06-2010, 14:04
To actually have combats that rely on killing the opponent instead of static combat resolution.
My Chaos Warriors will become some of the most feared infantry units and that's the way they should be!
Will look forward to causing "miscasts" with the Black Tongue (after/if it needs errata). :D
Faster phases it seems.
Chaos Lords becoming monsters in close combat! :D

Emeraldw
21-06-2010, 14:10
Infantry and supportive magic being awesome.

brendel
21-06-2010, 14:24
Experamenting with new tactics, big blocks of infintry souds like the shield wall battles ive been waiting for.

Odin
21-06-2010, 14:26
Chaos Lords becoming monsters in close combat! :D

What has changed for Chaos Lords?

loveless
21-06-2010, 14:32
The new common magic items coupled with a noticeable buff to support spells seems to solve my issues with survivability and damage output nicely. I'm pretty excited about that.

Bac5665
21-06-2010, 14:35
I'm excited that my infantry will actually take part in the battle, rather than just concentrating on not taking too many casualties.

Odin, I'm not picking on you, I see a ton of people saying this.

To anyone and everyone who thinks this, I ask you, why?

Core infantry is getting better at "concentrating on not taking too many casualties" as Odin put it, through steadfast. In other words, core infantry is getting better at holding up units. Elite infantry is getting killier too.

However, in 7E, the only point to core infantry was to be a speed bump, and elite infantry has been fantastic for most of 7E. So what exactly is changing? Core infantry with the horde rule is killier, but not as much as taking a second unit instead.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see anything that GW has done to make core infantry more attractive to do anything other than hold a spot. And elite infantry was good enough. No one thinks that Black guard or Grave guard needed a boost.

So what are people expecting infantry to do that they didn't do before?

Valtiel
21-06-2010, 14:44
What has changed for Chaos Lords?

More or less the magic items you can now get for them. It does help them make much better in combat than before. But I might be too hasty on my judgement.

Eternus
21-06-2010, 14:46
Hoping that no single aspect of the game has an overwhelming impact - magic toned down a bit, infantry boosted compared to cavalry, more use of core units and fewer combats being decided by who got the charge in first, getting bigger units on the table and having models in units that are there to fight, rather than just fill ranks.

And the book itself of course.

And hey, look at that, I just passed 1000 posts! Do I post too much? Nah!

Lordsaradain
21-06-2010, 14:52
Bringing down my orcs and goblins from the attic and fielding them in several 40+ man units will be fun. Dunno about effective, but definetly fun! :D

Venkh
21-06-2010, 14:57
Im looking forward to the unkown...

Arranging a game against someone and not knowing what units or magic items he is going to take.

Not knowing how my units will perform against others

Im looking forward to all of the surprises that the new edition will bring even 2 years down the line.

Im also looking forward to testing my demon list to destruction now that the gloves are off!

plantagenet
21-06-2010, 15:39
I think the point that is encouraging people is they fact that before a relatively small unit say 7 swordmasters in single line could take a unit 20 or 25 strong without any problem.
Before whether charged or not they woudl slaughter the front rank and then your big **** unit would get no attacks back. This is pretty negative state to play in.

Now I run into combat and yes he still kills my whole front rank. But then due to the fact that casualties are taken from the back I then get to hit him with 11 (Champion and 9 other guys) attacks of my own. So say a unit of Orcs is the unit in question this unit will now with average rolls pull down about 4 of those elves. Core infantry now win the combat and if the elves stay then the 3 remaining ones aer not going to be that effective.

The second thing that large core infantry units will do now that they didnt do before is actually hold things up. For example a unit of 5 Chaos Knights charge into my unit of 35 goblins that are arranged 7 wide by 5 deep. The Chaos knight butcher on average 7.79 Goblins. This means that in 7th the Goblins would have lost the combat assuming the Chaos Knight have a standard by 4 on average (rounding up the .79) even with the General nearby that is going to be a tough break test to make. In 8th the Goblins loose the combat by 5 (no unit strength) however they get 11 attacks back to try and make this less and when they do take there leadership it is an unmodfied number which if General is near is very easy to make. So I must admit I can see the appeal suddenly all that effort someone puts into painting a big unit is worthwhile because it gets to do something on the combat field.

Sinsigel
21-06-2010, 15:51
Two things excite me.

1)Dragon Princes with armour-piercing banner re-rolling all failed rolls to hit.(Bye bye, Mr. Rubber lance syndrome)

2)Dwarf generals dropping their jaws when they realize the swordies they tried to wipe out with organ guns suddenly have T5/T7
(Lore of Life FTW:D)

Atropos
21-06-2010, 15:52
I'm excited about infantry. Being a Dark Elf player, I can see myself fielding several units I didn't use during 7th (such as Witch Elves).

Frankly
21-06-2010, 15:59
Infantry blocks.

My skinks marching and shooting.

My Shades marching and shooting.

Astrator
21-06-2010, 16:02
As an Ogre player, I gotta say the 3 wide ranks will be super helpful for us, followed closely by Stomp attacks.

Odin
21-06-2010, 16:04
Odin, I'm not picking on you, I see a ton of people saying this.

To anyone and everyone who thinks this, I ask you, why?

Core infantry is getting better at "concentrating on not taking too many casualties" as Odin put it, through steadfast. In other words, core infantry is getting better at holding up units. Elite infantry is getting killier too.

However, in 7E, the only point to core infantry was to be a speed bump, and elite infantry has been fantastic for most of 7E. So what exactly is changing? Core infantry with the horde rule is killier, but not as much as taking a second unit instead.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see anything that GW has done to make core infantry more attractive to do anything other than hold a spot. And elite infantry was good enough. No one thinks that Black guard or Grave guard needed a boost.

So what are people expecting infantry to do that they didn't do before?

It's the fact they the front two ranks will get to fight, whereas now you'll often lose a few of your front rank and then get a couple of paltry attacks back.

The best thing about this is that luck is actually far less important. If each side only gets a few attacks (e.g. orc boyz v empire halberdiers), a bit of luck one way or another can completely tip the balance. When both sides are rolling a dozen or more attacks, the element of luck is reduced, because it's far less likely that you'll fluff all your attacks.

So against Elite infantry the cheap Core units will be able to do some damage before they die. And against other core units there will actually be a fight, rather than just a pitiful static combat resolution competition.

More or less the magic items you can now get for them. It does help them make much better in combat than before. But I might be too hasty on my judgement.

Ah, I see. Yes, there are some tempting new ones, particularly armour-piercing and re-rolling to hit banners. Fire attacks banner will make mincemeat out of Trolls, for just 10 points.

I can't say there's very many items to tempt my Chaos Lord though, aside from a decent Ward Save.

MasterSparks
21-06-2010, 17:56
I can't say there's very many items to tempt my Chaos Lord though, aside from a decent Ward Save.

Don't forget that the Helm of Many Eyes can grant him ASF which, together with his high Initiative characteristic, will let him re-roll misses in close combat against the majority of opponents. That's an improvement as well. :)

Melon-neko
21-06-2010, 18:17
Absolutely everything. I know I will be called a GW fanboy, but considering I quit fantasy 2 years ago and thought I'd never play again...

Anyway, this is the same as 40k's third edition and I find it amazingly improved in every way so far. I'm sure there will be some hiccups, i don't expect perfection, but the general streamlining and rules rewriting make me very happy. The unexpected additions of magical terrain is great and the magic system looks overall improved to me.

I was considering selling off my armies, but I decided to with for 8th edition (yes I'm patient XD) and I'm very happy I did, since my ogres look like they won't just die anymore....Although they will still get shot up a lot =( I can't wait to get some maneaters with hand guns garrisoning a building =D

Odin
21-06-2010, 18:22
Don't forget that the Helm of Many Eyes can grant him ASF which, together with his high Initiative characteristic, will let him re-roll misses in close combat against the majority of opponents. That's an improvement as well. :)

Thank you for pointing that out! :D

Odin
21-06-2010, 18:23
Anyway, this is the same as 40k's third edition

I seriously hope not!

Melon-neko
21-06-2010, 18:42
I seriously hope not!

You are allowed to. I seriously hope I am right, since that is what got me back into 40k, as second edition became unbearable for me, much like 7th edition fantasy ^_^

Vandelan
21-06-2010, 18:49
I'm excited about infantry. Being a Dark Elf player, I can see myself fielding several units I didn't use during 7th (such as Witch Elves).

I actually just picked up some Witch Elves, and I'm getting enough to make a decent sized block.

I hope they're going to end up worth it when I get to test them out.

Atropos
21-06-2010, 19:29
I actually just picked up some Witch Elves, and I'm getting enough to make a decent sized block.

I hope they're going to end up worth it when I get to test them out.

I hope so too. I'm actually getting some Executioners aswell.

Vandelan
21-06-2010, 19:58
I hope so too. I'm actually getting some Executioners aswell.

I've had a number of them for a while, but only because they're such great models. I have the feeling I'm going to play them some as well.

I still don't know if I'm going to get any more Blackguard, I only have ten and I never fielded them in the first place. The 8th rules seem to be making them a lot better, unless I'm mistaken.

Sygerrik
21-06-2010, 20:09
I'm looking forward to some nasty tarpitting. Now that a losing unit can reform if they don't break by passing a Ld check (rerollable with BSB), I can dangle my huge Bell/Furnace units' flanks, absorb the charge, then reform facing my opponent and hit him with Rat Ogres.

Oh yeah, I need to buy some Rat Ogres. They got about three times better in this edition (ranks, 21 attacks from 6 guys, stomp attack, ability to restrain charges).

chilledenuff
21-06-2010, 21:13
dusting off my dwarfs, they might now be competetive. That and Goblin hordes.