PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Pt List - 1st 8th Ed Game

2nd Lt Feen
21-06-2010, 04:23
Hello All,

I've put together a quick 8th edition list after skimming the book and watching a few test games last week. I'd like to field this one for fun this week when I play fantasy and any tips you guys can give would be much appreciated. Keep in mind we're making the switch to 8th edition now because the local store has the rulebook.

Lord -
Lord on Barded Warhorse, Heartwood Lance

Heroes-
Army Standard Bearer on Barded Warhorse, Virtue of Empathy
Damsel, Dispel Scroll

Core-
30x Men at Arms w/ Command
10x Bowmen, Standard, Braziers
10x Bowmen, Standard, Braziers (these two units will be ranked 5x2 and behind stakes)
8x Knights of the Realm, Command
5x Knights Errant, Command

Comes out to 997 points

The 30 strong M@A will be the tarpit unit while the KotR and Knights Errant will be for flanking. I'm worried I'm light on knights and that I should drop the Lord. What do you guys think?

fishofury
21-06-2010, 18:41
Hello, first of all I'd like to start off asking what you mean by any tips we can give you? Do you want to know what could be done to change the list to make it more competitive? Or do you want tips on how to best play with the models you have?

I'll give you advice based on making the army more competitive to play against since I have more experience playing against Bretonnia rather than with it.

Lord -
Lord on Barded Warhorse, Heartwood Lance

I would definitely keep the lord but I would loose the heartwood lance re-rolls to wound are slightly wasted on Str6 attacks unless there against monsters in which case I would be sticking the lord with a big unit of knights of the realm anyway which should be enough. You could take the re-roll virtue which would be efficient for his 4 attacks but for the cost I think I have a better idea.

Ultimately I would just give him one of the new talismans that gives him re-roll to failed armour saves plus the new enchanted shield both from the 8th edition book. This will run you about 30pts if my sources are correct and provide your general with a little more survivability while keeping him cheap.

Heroes-
Army Standard Bearer on Barded Warhorse, Virtue of Empathy
Damsel, Dispel Scroll

I would loose the damsel with the dispel scroll, as she is lv1 she wont be able to cast anything in the magic phase at 1000pts. She wont influence your dispel dice from what I understand and will only give +1 to dispel. Also the dispel scroll is probably only going to be a must have if your up against someone who is pumping out spells that will really cripple you and those are usually hard to cast. Which means if he is able to get them off being able to dispel it once probably isn't going to help a great deal for the other 5 turns. Especially when she will set you back 95pts, just my opinion anyway.

As for the paladin standard bearer I would drop the virtue of empathy and take the new magic banner that gives your whole unit the ability to re-roll failed rolls to hit in combat.

Core-
30x Men at Arms w/ Command
10x Bowmen, Standard, Braziers
10x Bowmen, Standard, Braziers (these two units will be ranked 5x2 and behind stakes)
8x Knights of the Realm, Command
5x Knights Errant, Command

The men at arms looks good but I would probably drop both units of bowmen they wont do a lot of damage and at this points cost you could get a pair of trebuchets which with the new no guess rules and Str 5 large template will leave the bowmen dead in the dust for the amount of damage these warmachines can put out. And it will only cost you 30pts more than those two bowmen units anyway. Also I would drop the 5 knights errant to free up some points and instead replace with with a cheap 2nd unit of men at arms but drop both champions from those units since its a waste of points for quite an expensive and weak champion.

The list I would run would look something like this.

bretonnian lord /w lance + barded warhorse + re-roll armour saves (talisman) + enchanted shield (+2 armour save)

paladin /w battle standard + barded warhorse + re-roll to hit for unit (banner)

30x Men at Arms w/ standard bearer + musician
22x Men at Arms w/ standard bearer + musician

8x Knights of the Realm /w Full command + new magic banner (+1 movement)

2x Trebuchets

Comes out to 997 points the same as your other list.

The difference is your lord has a 1+ re-roll armour save but no magic attack and he will go with the unit of knights of the realm with the battle standard bearer taking the unit up to 10 strong. You will be able to break ranks with +2 rank bonus with every model in the unit getting re-rolls to hit in every round of combat (lord + paladin included) and the unit will get +1 movement since its harder to get the charge off for cavalry these days.

The two men at arms units should serve as decent tarpit units and the two trebutchets should put out a lot of hurt against enemy units. :)

Hope this was of help to you. Let me know how it goes if you try it.

fishy