PDA

View Full Version : Lascannon/meltagun firing mode?

Sen.Kerry
21-06-2010, 05:59
So one thing that has always bugged me and I haven't come across an answer is how do lascannons fire? Is it a short burst like the blaster rifles in starwars, or is it like a continuous stream that you just kind of move about? Same thing for meltaguns, is it a short burst, or does it like spew molten hot whatever like a flamethrower?

Gorbad Ironclaw
21-06-2010, 06:18
Lascannons are single shot weapons, so they are more like an anti-tank rifle. The exact rate of fire would likely depend on the make of the lascannon itself and how much power you have avaliable. An infantry version might need a little time to recharge between each shot where as a tank mounted weapon might have enough ready power to shoot several shots.

Melta-guns are a microwave weapon so they shoot a beam (kind of) but it takes a short amount of time for it to reach it's potential. Rapidly spinning it around a room for instance might make people feel uncomfortable but it's unlikely to really hurt them as the beam doesn't hit them long enough to set them on fire/evaporate them.

Sen.Kerry
21-06-2010, 06:34
Well that certainly put my mind at ease. It also makes my mock battles in my head ever more god awesome.

Ba'al Starslayer
21-06-2010, 09:29
Watch the animations in Dawn of War (Mainly Soulstorm) - The Obliterators use Lascannons and Celestians use Melta weaponry. Meltas seem like a stream of focussed heat, and Lascannons are an instantaneous blast of energy.

qsd
21-06-2010, 09:53
Multi lasers are the ones that fire in bursts/streams

Mabd
21-06-2010, 10:44
I always equated a Lascannon to the Vorlon laser from Babylon 5. I know that was ship-bourne, but a sustained beam of coherent light slicing it's way through everything kinda fit for me rather than the staccato bursts idea.

Sai-Lauren
21-06-2010, 11:02
I always equated a Lascannon to the Vorlon laser from Babylon 5. I know that was ship-bourne, but a sustained beam of coherent light slicing it's way through everything kinda fit for me rather than the staccato bursts idea.

That's the Bright/Dark Lance IMO.

Hunger
21-06-2010, 11:10
On a related note, I always picture plasma guns exactly like those in DOOM.

See this (http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/action_games/doom/plasma_rifle.jpg) if you're not sure what that looks like.

Bunnahabhain
21-06-2010, 12:38
Any practical laser weapon will fire a very short ( ie milliseconds or micro seconds long), intense burst of energy. Continuous beams are useful for tools, but absolutely useless for weapons.

Meltas don't work at all, in any way anything like the descriptions they have in GW writing. Therefore they can fire in any way you wish, as that is just as practical and realistic as any other way they could be imagined to fire.

There are long threads in the background section about both of these. You'll find there is strong agreement from all those who actually know any physics at all on both of these

ehlijen
21-06-2010, 12:48
DoW has both kinds:

Space marine vehicle lascannon seem to be the short but intense burst with a slow rate of fire kind while Guard weapon teams use the continuous rapid fire kind.

So pick whichever you want for your mental images. There is no physical realism in the 41st millenium. There's only that other thing that escapes me right now...

Hunger
21-06-2010, 13:08
...poor conceptualisation backed up with a paper thin explanation?

lot
21-06-2010, 13:24
but yet the laser Rifle is allmost 'projuceded' (SP?) as a weapon but yet the closeist thing we got to it is the laser ingravers. which has been sayed already, the las-cannon is a large or thick beem of high intensaty light that has been fired over a couple of secounds.

By doing so the laser will cut or disintergrat a target with heat that will be to high to regerster on our mondern 'thermoiters' (SP?).

sorry if this dosernt help much and sorry about my grammer and bad spelling

Godzooky
21-06-2010, 15:10
Hmmm, from the consensus of the bulk of descriptions on here I imagine a lascannon would fire in a similar way to the Spartan laser in the Halo games.

It's a b**ch if you miss. :-D

massey
21-06-2010, 16:44
Depends on which model lascannon/meltagun you're talking about. One produced on this forgeworld will be different from one produced on that forgeworld. Some will be a short burst of power, one will be a continuous beam. Pick whichever you prefer. People who talk about real physics in something like this are wasting their time.