PDA

View Full Version : 2k Karak Kadrin (8th edition query)

Trick
21-06-2010, 15:16
Hey folks. Long time 40k player, massivley inexperienced Fantasy player here.
I've been wondering lately on the new edition of the game about to come out and I've no real idea on what drastic changes are afoot. What I do know is, for a long time, I've been wanting to start a Dwarf army based on Karak Kadrin, Slayer Keep. Mostly this comes from a love of Gotrek & Felix novels - particularly Dragonslayer). I made an army list a while ago and quite liked the look of it, though due to the cost of buying loads of Slayers I've never followed through with it. I'd like to know how it would cope with the new edition from people who've experienced the new game or have knowledge of it. The first thing I notice is the percentage restrictions will probably severely hamper the theme of the army by reducing the number of Slayers.

A few things about the list...
1. The army is from Karak Kadrin so plenty of Slayers of different flavours are a must.
2. I see Karak Kadrin as a more traditional keep so few guns and cannons.
3. This is not competitive, though nor do I want it to crumble in a breeze.

Throng of Karak Kadrin

Lord
Ungrim Ironfist (Dwarf Lord); Rune of Shielding, Rune of Fortitude, Rune of Stone, Rune of the Furnace, Rune of Might, Rune of Speed
260pts

Heroes
Dragon Slayer; Master Rune Of Smiting, Rune Of Speed
125pts
Dragon Slayer; Rune Of Speed, Rune Of Striking, Rune Of Fire
70pts (Lone Ranger)
Thane; BSB, Strollaz's Rune, Great Weapon
149pts

Core
10 Karak Kadrin Cityguard (Warriors); Shields, Full Command
115pts
10 Karak Kadrin Cityguard (Warriors); Shields, Full Command
145pts
10 Karak Kadrin Cityguard (Quarrellers); Musician, Shields, Great Weapons
155pts

Special
14 Kadrin Shrine Guardians (Hammerers); Gatekeeper, Standard, Musician, Master Rune of Grungni (Joined by Ungrim & BSB)
248pts
15 Slayers; 3 Giant Slayers
210pts (Joined by Dragon Slayer)
15 Slayers; 4 Giant Slayers
225pts
20 Slayers; 4 Giant Slayers
280pts

Total: 1,992pts

Cheers

Trick

bluemage
21-06-2010, 17:26
Well I don't know how well a slayer army will do, but it seems interesting. There is a slayer army from the storm of chaos you could try running. I'm sure you can google search the pdf.

As for your list, you need 25%+ spent on core and at the moment you're a bit below that. I'd increase your 10 man units to 15 so you can still break ranks after taking some casualties. Other then that it looks okay.

Trick
21-06-2010, 21:27
Yeah I have the book, though I've never been fond of using outdated and all but unofficial rules. Was a fun looking army though!

Trick

Trick
23-06-2010, 21:06
Wouldn't mind some input on this. I know it'll be a hard army to use properly, but I think it would be good to get it to work, and not have Dwarfs relying on a gunline. I think I'll try bumping up the Warrior numbers and drop the Hammerers to get the percentages on the right track.

Any other suggestions?
Cheers,

Trick

The_Varangian
23-06-2010, 21:16
have one unit of warriors, the other upgrade to longbeard rangers with great weapons and throwing axes- i've had a unit of 10 take on 20 chaos chosen and win, they're well worth the points. it depends on the army youre facing wether you should use quarellers or thunderers. personally, if you are using an assault army, thunderers as rangers instead of the longbeards- they can use the scout rule to get easily in range, and the extra -1 for armour piercing is useful.