PDA

View Full Version : Proxy Russ?

apple_wood
21-06-2010, 17:31
I'm buildign a imperial guard army, but I'd like a completely original theme for it. I was going to use techno cavemen. My plan is to have the guardsmen armed with lasguns but otherwise just loin cloths and animal skins, and have them see lasguns, melta etc as gifts from the gods. (rather than the imperial recruiters who have raised this rabble)

Rather than tanks I want them to have dinosaurs. The problem comes in whereby some opponents may have issue with this. Ideally I need suitable dinosaur models to proxy russes, chimeras and sentinels. I was think raptors, tricerotops and T rex.

Do you think this is a workable solution, or do you think it's a step too far for most players to take?

Deftoneus
21-06-2010, 17:43
Sounds like fun, but you'd have to clear it with your opponent first (obviously).

I'd have no problem playing that army. The only issues I forsee would be LOS and model sizes of your dinosaurs.

Also, it would be interesting to see your justification for your dinosaurs and their 'shooting attacks' that they produce.

Hashmal
21-06-2010, 17:47
Cannons strapped to them, of course.

This sounds like a blast.

Deftoneus
21-06-2010, 17:57
Cannons strapped to them, of course.

This sounds like a blast.

Ahahhah awesome....

Off topic (sorta) but does anyone remember the cartoon "Dino-Riders". That sounds like a perfect template to use :P

Lord Damocles
21-06-2010, 17:59
Just make sure that they're more or less the right size in regards to dimensions and footprint ('This Cold One is a Chimera, LOLZ!'), and have the correct weapons modelled on them and you should be fine.

Itīs a great idea, but maybe you could save yourself some trouble by converting the tanks from Ork vehicles, for example. They would probably look primitive enough.

MajorWesJanson
21-06-2010, 20:15
Guard on Cold ones = Rough Riders
Stegadon = Chimaera
Stegadon with flamethrowers = Hellhound
Stgadon with cannons mounted on top = Artillery

Lord Inquisitor
21-06-2010, 20:24
Sounds great in a dino-riders sort of fashion. Lots of bolted on armour and the right weaponry - why not?

If you use GW models (i.e. lizardmen models as suggested) or heavily converted dinosaur models from other manufacturers (particularly toy manufacturers that aren't direct competitors to GW), mount the correct weaponry in roughly the same configuration then this should be tournament legal at most tournaments.

The trick is to be consistent - if you're going to use a stegadon as a leman russ, then don't use a stegadon for chimera as well. So if a stegadon is going to be the equivalent of a Russ, then you can use the stegadon "chassis" as the basis of all of the Russ variants, perhaps a diplodocus type model as the artillery platforms, etc.

It sounds like a really superb idea for a guard army. Insane, mind you, but superb. Rough-riders riding the new cold ones would be great, maybe even some kind of fire-breathing monster as a hellhound.

Chem-Dog
21-06-2010, 21:12
Dino-Riders (http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/guitaratomik/random/DinoRidersPoster.jpg) FTW

Anyway...I've said this before but I'm all for Proxies and "counts as" units if they're well executed.
I'll suggest a moderate alteration to the theme, do with it as you will.
The Tanks are manned by men from a different planet, the primatives worship the Tanks as gods and their crews as....erm...the God's servants.

MajorWesJanson
21-06-2010, 23:04
The trick is to be consistent - if you're going to use a stegadon as a leman russ, then don't use a stegadon for chimera as well. So if a stegadon is going to be the equivalent of a Russ, then you can use the stegadon "chassis" as the basis of all of the Russ variants, perhaps a diplodocus type model as the artillery platforms, etc.

Or you could do Stegadons with just the Howdahs as Chimaera chassis tanks, and add side armor plates that hang down and turrets for Russes. Like Stegadons trading speed for armor compared to the Chimaera hull ones.

Raditz
21-06-2010, 23:15
Cave-men and Dinosaurs? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomewhereAPalaeontologistIsCrying)

Easy E
21-06-2010, 23:16
Sounds like fun, but you'd have to clear it with your opponent first (obviously).

Of course, since it is a consensual game, people can choose to play or not play anyone for any reason. They could choose to not play my army using all stock Russes, so I theoretically have to clear it with them first if I'm going to use all stock models too.

Anyway...I've said this before but I'm all for Proxies and "counts as" units if they're well executed.

And if they don't meet your standards? Out of curiousity, what if it was just a poorly painted/constructed stock model? Would you play that over a poorly constructed "counts as" army?

Lord Inquisitor
21-06-2010, 23:23
Cave-men and Dinosaurs? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomewhereAPalaeontologistIsCrying)

No, no, no! Don't you know that linking to tv tropes is just evil (http://xkcd.com/609/)?

ehlijen
22-06-2010, 03:42
Honestly, I think you'd be better off representing this with the nid codex. Gants to represent the cavemen and the big bugs to represent the dinosaurs. That way those big dinosaurs get to chomp on their enemies and you can still give most of them guns.

And yes, Dino Riders, the show that gave us the brilliant tactic of 'send forth an unstoppable dinosaur stampede!'.

Chiron
22-06-2010, 12:54

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs?