PDA

View Full Version : 40K bikes, Lame or Awsome?

lowmanjason
21-06-2010, 19:00
Space Marine /Chaos Space Marine Attack Bikes, Eldar/Dark Eldar Jetbikes, Dark Eldar Skyboards… what can I say? Who knew you could ride around a battle field and shoot at somebody with a gun attached to your handlebars and still have accurate effective fire? Who knew you could charge into a group of people (who for some reason will stand still and let you), whack them with a sword or something, then stop and stay there (while still sitting on the bike, standing on your board or even setting in your sidecar) duke it out and somehow your trusty bike will give you added protection? Who knew that the more it looks like a chopper, the more badass it is? The more spikes or blades it has, the more evil it is. I can go one but I think you get the point…
So, does anyone else share my opinion that bikes and their rules in 40K are retarded? Please share your opinion. I would love to hear them one way or another.

stompy
21-06-2010, 19:20
Yeah, I've always felt this way. There's just something wrong about 'war motorcycles'. I mean, I can imagine marines using bikes for deployment/recon purposes, but riding a motorbike onto a battlefield just never sat right with me.

On the other hand, ork bikers don't irk me as much. To an ork, finding the biggest bike you can, strapping as many guns you can find to it, and pointing at the enemy probably seems like a pretty sound battle plan. Also, dark eldar jetbikes fit pretty well. In fact, come to think about it, most bikes are pretty cool, just not being ridden by space marines.

As to the usefulness of a bike in a battle, you're probably right. It's pretty easy to come off a bike on a slippery manhole cover, so riding one over bombed out buildings and through mine fields while being shot at is probably a bad idea. Especially if you have a silly little flag pole attached to the back of your bike. And a sidecar. However, this is 40k, so realism should never be taken too seriously.

On the other hand, I love guard rough riders, which are equally daft...

Finn
21-06-2010, 19:23
Convert them!

Besides that, 40K bikes's wheels are extra wide. Dunno what that would do for their stability in realism terms, it would certainly improve it but would it be enough?

Realistically, all bikes should have hit-and-run.

Lord Damocles
21-06-2010, 19:26
Hellions [Skyboards] aren't bikes.

Vedar
21-06-2010, 19:26
I didn't vote as you left no middle groud. Lame?, no they can be kinda cool. I'd say they need a bit of a rules change to be better. Maybe adding all bikes have hit and run would make them better. Bike assaults are rather strange but many things are quite strange in 40K.

Kurisu313
21-06-2010, 19:31
I love bikers, personally. I love the heavy feel of marine bikers, or the streamlined eldar jetbikes.

Running around a gun-swept battlefield with swords is a bad idea, making bikes seem marginally less ridiculous.

lowmanjason
21-06-2010, 19:44
On the other hand, ork bikers don't irk me as much. To an ork, finding the biggest bike you can, strapping as many guns you can find to it, and pointing at the enemy probably seems like a pretty sound battle plan. Also, dark eldar jetbikes fit pretty well. In fact, come to think about it, most bikes are pretty cool, just not being ridden by space marines.

Agreed this is why i left them off of my little rant. They're Orks, nothing they do has to make sense!

Hellions [Skyboards] aren't bikes.No but same concept more or less, try riding a skate board and hit a dude, see if your still riding, or a surfboard and hit a shark and see what happens!

Finn
21-06-2010, 19:45
What about a Disc of Tzeentch? ;) That's basically surfing into combat too!

lowmanjason
21-06-2010, 19:46
What about a Disc of Tzeentch? ;) That's basically surfing into combat too!

... add them to the list too!

Lord Damocles
21-06-2010, 20:01
... add them to the list too!
What about Jump Packs? (because willingly strapping rocket boosters to your back and flinging yourself out of a plane/at the enemy is *really* sensible)

...Or just about everyone with a close combat weapon?

Hunger
21-06-2010, 20:06
I never liked the design of SM and Chaos bikes, or Ork warbikes for that matter, however Eldar and Dark Eldar jetbikes are great, and the original Skorcha (is that the same one as today, or did they redo that kit?) is one of my fave models.

Perth
21-06-2010, 20:10
I can see ork bikes and I think Jetbikes are awesome and completely reasonable. SM bikes on the other hand though...

Scribe of Khorne
21-06-2010, 20:26
Yeah, ork bikers, and perhaps jetbikes I can wrap my head around. I've never owned or will own, CSM/SM type bikes though, even the ones with the side car, I just dont like them.

Chem-Dog
21-06-2010, 20:59
Chem-Dog says Awesome
They might not be the most tacticaly sound item on the battlefield in real terms, but then I doubt the USMC has an SOP for dropping a rampaging Carnifex, so real terms are largely pointless.

What about Jump Packs? (because willingly strapping rocket boosters to your back and flinging yourself out of a plane/at the enemy is *really* sensible)

No it's not sensible...it's BADASS!!!1!!
And BADASS trumps sensible EVERY time :D

Thud
21-06-2010, 21:03
One word:

Doomrider.

:cool:

Elios Harg
21-06-2010, 21:04
I'm with Chem-Dog. Because it's 40k, bikes are awesome. If I were playing a "realistic" war game, they'd be stupid, sure.

Aedes
21-06-2010, 21:06
I voted awesome--
because they are really fun in the game and among my favorite units.
BUT-- I HATE the SM/CSM bike models.
Too clumsy.
Thats why my army rides on demonic/ augmented horses.
;)

Lord Damocles
21-06-2010, 21:07
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMRIDER
:cool:
Fixed that for you.

baphomael
21-06-2010, 21:27
Ork Bikes are ridiculously awesome.

Oh, and Doomrider ;)

Mini77
21-06-2010, 21:36
Loves bikes. I use a lot of them for the Rapid-Fire, Relentless, T4(5) comination.

Maybe a -1 BS penalty plus Hit and Run USR would be better, but I like them how they are anyway.

RampagingRavener
21-06-2010, 21:47
I've always loved bikes in 40k, and I always will love them. 40k, as a whole, quite simply does not make sense and there's very little point in griping about individual points. Some bits are less sensible than others, yes - but once you start to pick at these things the entire setting begins to unravel very quickly.

And if we must introduce such irritatingly mundane things like 'realism' into 40k, then it's only really Space Marine and Chaos bikes that don't make sense. Ork and Eldar/Dark Eldar bikes mount two weapons with, in the fluff, an ungodly rate of fire and thus will cough out enough shots to overcome the inaccuracy. In the case of either flavour of Eldar, that problem is lessened further by the fact their bikes fly, so won't jiggle about like a ground-bound bike would, and the pilots have hyper-attuned senses and reaction times. That also sorts out hellions as well - what would be impossible for a mere human is entirely within the capabilities of an Eldar.

I've always thought all Bikers should come with Hit and Run as standard, though.

grotburna
21-06-2010, 21:56
Skrew Doomrider - wait 'till Wazdakka has finished his supabike :-)

On the tabletop issues of bikes: Maybe some sorta "flyer" rule with a minimum speed would catch the feel of biking ? Like:
- draw a line from the previous' turn position to the current one and
- extend to the opposite side and same distance of the model.
- place a large blast marker on that point and choose the new position from that point.
I've played racing-games on checkered paper with such a ruleset, and it worked fine :-)

LonelyPath
21-06-2010, 22:59
I love bikes in 40k, or at least my Nobz and Ravenwing do.

Sleazy
21-06-2010, 23:03
I've got my IG roughriders on customs chops, totally impractical but rule of cool baby!

Raditz
21-06-2010, 23:05
At least we're not riding wolves into battle.

Wishing
21-06-2010, 23:09
I actually think Marine bikes (and most other bike types, especially Eldar jetbikes) look really cool, in the crazy 40k over-the-top way, which is all that matters really. I do kinda wish that bikes had rules like they did in an old citadel journal article about bikes in Necromunda, where (as far as I recall) they were great for mobility and hit and run attacks but really bad for close combat, but I also understand that simple is better than complicated in a game like this.

Ozendorph
22-06-2010, 00:34
"rule of cool" trumps all. Not only are they riding into battle on motorcycles, they're doing so armed with swords, axes, and guns the size of a Ford F150 transmission. Gotta love it.

burad
22-06-2010, 00:43
Bikes are extremely cool. Or at least Ork and Eldar bikes are. SM bikes are more like 2-wheeled ATVs instead of bikes. The primary reason I built Orks was because of bikes.

Besides, we saw in a movie how awesome bikes can be on the battlefield; didn't anybody here see Megaforce?

Valtiel
22-06-2010, 00:53
I don't really like any Space Marines bikes. Always seemed.... weird. I don't think they are the best way to wage war.

Ork bikes though.... they get faster into combat... and Orks are wacky enough to do crazy things like that.

madival
22-06-2010, 01:04
My bikes run on awesome. Then again, I am necron.

Sir_Turalyon
22-06-2010, 01:05
Bikers are supposedly badasses. 40k bikers are very dependent on rule of cool, but fit rest of the setting.

But wait, 40000 bikers is like 1 000 000 points? Who can field that?

Hicks
22-06-2010, 02:07
I love bikes and I really really like bike armies. So what if they aren't realistic? Nothing in 40K makes sence, but as long as it looks badass I think it should be in the game.

I love my Saim-Hann army, a bunch of enraged and reckless elves is cool, but having them all riding on jetbikes giving them extreme mobility is wicked cool. I find that bikes offer a whole new playstyle and allow for really nice clean painting and modeling and that's what I love so much about them.

Creeping Dementia
22-06-2010, 03:26
My only Marine army is White Scars, ~45-50 bikes and 6 speeders. So I'll have to go with Awesome :evilgrin:

ehlijen
22-06-2010, 03:38
Thanks to return of the jedi, there were always going to be jetbikes in this game. Less techy bikes for the less techy races were just a logical conclusion, as far as logic works in 40k. I'm not a huge fan, but I can deal with them.

Garven Dreis
22-06-2010, 03:49
The only biker which I truly like is DOOMRIDER

Stillfrosty
22-06-2010, 03:56
40k Bikers are awesome... and personally I think there should be more of them! Smiting enemies with two close combat weapons while driving with your knees for the win!

Really what kind of question is this?

For the KHAN!!!!!!!!

e2055261
22-06-2010, 05:56
There's the rule of cool, the fantasy side of things and there's bikes. I voted lame. Ork bikers seem fine to me but just doesn't hold much water for SMs. SM bikes are over the top silly - that's why I never bought any. In any case, surely something a bit more sci-fi could have been put in place of SMs riding motor-cycles?

chromedog
22-06-2010, 06:31
I never liked the design of SM and Chaos bikes, or Ork warbikes for that matter, however Eldar and Dark Eldar jetbikes are great, and the original Skorcha (is that the same one as today, or did they redo that kit?) is one of my fave models.

Yes, it has been redesigned.

Although the plastic one has not yet been redone and is a relic of Gorkamorka, it is a redesign of the original METAL wartrakk scorcha.
The original wartrakk having a different weapon. The scorcha added the grot flamer turret and a towed fuel tank for it.

SM bikes have wheels too wide to enable them to turn.
They may go like the clappers on the straightaway, but they don't turn.

Jetbikes, though are cool.

clansman
22-06-2010, 06:32
Its just an equivalent to the fantasy battle cavalry toop choice, just like how they always have translation between the two games. marines used to get jetbikes, I mind the models, but I guess they were phased out to increase each army's individuality. It does sit rather strangely considering all those landspeeders they have in the same fortress garage... dumbass techmarines

Jonny_N
22-06-2010, 07:14
I would have thought the reason space marines use bikes is because their codex says about the use of them (or jetbikes) and as jetbikes are no longer readily avalible to them they use the next best thing, because the codex tells them to, the codex must be obeyed, OBEYED ARRGHHH!

dragonet111
22-06-2010, 07:42
I like the space marines bikes. they are as big as a small car and have bulletproof tires.

They are cool and it is the supreme rules in this universe:D.

Thoume
22-06-2010, 08:11
In a universe where they can be as big as tanks, of course they're awesome! :D

Thylacine
22-06-2010, 09:38
I never thought much of the SM bikes, I never had any trouble dealing with them in games. The things look cool and the Attack bike reminds me of the WWII German sidecar MG combination.

With the release of 5th ed I see more people using bikes and assault bikes in games, are they worth taking? Do you take them for the the cool look or are they really a worth while item to have in a list?

Mini77
22-06-2010, 09:59
Useless information for the day - My grandfather rode a bike in WWII, though of course he wasn't an assault marine, he was a despatch rider in the British army. Matchless G3 for those interested.

Wade Wilson
22-06-2010, 10:03
Samael on his crazyass Marine Jetbike for the win.

Archangel_Ruined
22-06-2010, 10:15
I think the models could stand to be a little better, the new scout bikes are a move in the right direction I suppose. They still have square profile tyres though, such a bad idea... Still, rule of cool says they're great. If you wanted something a tad more sensible then quad bikes or sand skidoos would be the way to go (and yes, they do exist with guns on them, and they are that cool). The actual feat of riding a motorcycle on the battlefield would be the least of your troubles though, it's pretty easy to keep moving on a poor surface if the bike is designed for it and you're riding with the back wheel loose anyway, it's when people start shooting at you that the whole idea gets wonky.

Hrw-Amen
22-06-2010, 11:28
Having been a biker for as long as I can remember, I have to say that I am not sure the SM bikes are practicle at all. The square tyres would really not make for good handling, but then again I guess they would be quite soft for rough terrain. I am not sure if W40K have air in them, I guess they do? Having said that with a sidecar a good square tyre is just what you need as you are not banking when cornering. So Attack bikes would be fine. Also they need to nag the Admech to reivent them some jetbikes, that would be much better, but they would have to be chunkier than Eldar ones possibly with fronts looking similar to BFG Imperial warships?

I can see them being used by scouts, spotters and the like, but not in close combat, where a solo biker would easily get pulled/fall off. It may be easier with a sidecar, but then they have heavier weapons so why would they be in cc anyway?

Alright for Orks, as they are well Orks. The new Ork bikes are much better, but I have a certain affection for the wartrack. If they redo it, I hope it just gets a new front tyre to fit with current bikes, but the overall design I like.

Jetbikes, well I guess they are/would be in the real world (At least W40K real world.) flying slightly higher off the ground and no doubt quite a bit faster. Again I can see them scouting, but also whizzing towards the enemy just above head height firing down slightly as them zoom overhead and bank round for another pass.

Why are Deffkopttas in the same bracket as jetbikes, they are totally different?

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2010, 11:55
Why is there no in between choice?

Satzaka
22-06-2010, 12:34
Fan of the ork bikes but the bikes (or jetbikes) I've got the most use out of are the good old Necron Destroyer.... those boys have won me some games they have, probably the best unit in the current codex...

Brother Loki
22-06-2010, 16:18
The SM bike is essentially based on Judge Dredd's Lawmaster, which makes them awesome.

Lord Damocles
22-06-2010, 16:57
Why is there no in between choice?
In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future there are only extremes!

Zombie Savant
22-06-2010, 17:24
I want to like bikes. It could be neat, even though I don't necessarily like the concept. However, I find the mechanics completely spoil it for me. I can suspend my disbelief for jetbikes, as the mechanics kiiinda sorta make sense there, but in what world is a bike squad, barreling down the field twice as fast as basic infantry, going to hit close combat and then just stop, and fight effectively for however many turns are necessary.

It just ruins it. At least with jetbikes I can picture them floating higher and dodging a bit, but you just can't maneuver a space marine bike like that when you're surrounded by 15 gaunts.

Also, the increase to toughness really doesn't make any sense either, I'd prefer to see them change to something a little more damaging, but have AV 9 or so instead.

lowmanjason
22-06-2010, 17:42
I've always loved bikes in 40k, and I always will love them. 40k, as a whole, quite simply does not make sense and there's very little point in griping about individual points. Some bits are less sensible than others, yes - but once you start to pick at these things the entire setting begins to unravel very quickly.

And if we must introduce such irritatingly mundane things like 'realism' into 40k, then it's only really Space Marine and Chaos bikes that don't make sense. Ork and Eldar/Dark Eldar bikes mount two weapons with, in the fluff, an ungodly rate of fire and thus will cough out enough shots to overcome the inaccuracy. In the case of either flavour of Eldar, that problem is lessened further by the fact their bikes fly, so won't jiggle about like a ground-bound bike would, and the pilots have hyper-attuned senses and reaction times. That also sorts out hellions as well - what would be impossible for a mere human is entirely within the capabilities of an Eldar.

I've always thought all Bikers should come with Hit and Run as standard, though.

then explain having a bike/ jet bike/ hellion in hand to hand combat with ANYTHING. i understand it is just a game and that reality takes a back seat to fun most of the time but there has to be a point where you have "ok, this is just stupid...". like why would my ancient robots with tecnology so advanced it nears magic have a unit with a BS2(tomb spider) when today we can fire a missle from 100s of miles away and it can guide ITSELF into a window of the building that is target lies in.

thats just my opinion though!

lowmanjason
22-06-2010, 17:58
Having been a biker for as long as I can remember, I have to say that I am not sure the SM bikes are practicle at all. The square tyres would really not make for good handling, but then again I guess they would be quite soft for rough terrain. I am not sure if W40K have air in them, I guess they do? Having said that with a sidecar a good square tyre is just what you need as you are not banking when cornering. So Attack bikes would be fine. Also they need to nag the Admech to reivent them some jetbikes, that would be much better, but they would have to be chunkier than Eldar ones possibly with fronts looking similar to BFG Imperial warships?

I can see them being used by scouts, spotters and the like, but not in close combat, where a solo biker would easily get pulled/fall off. It may be easier with a sidecar, but then they have heavier weapons so why would they be in cc anyway?

Alright for Orks, as they are well Orks. The new Ork bikes are much better, but I have a certain affection for the wartrack. If they redo it, I hope it just gets a new front tyre to fit with current bikes, but the overall design I like.

Jetbikes, well I guess they are/would be in the real world (At least W40K real world.) flying slightly higher off the ground and no doubt quite a bit faster. Again I can see them scouting, but also whizzing towards the enemy just above head height firing down slightly as them zoom overhead and bank round for another pass.

Why are Deffkopttas in the same bracket as jetbikes, they are totally different?

thats pretty much what i was getting at, but i dont know anything about deffkopttas

RampagingRavener
22-06-2010, 18:12
then explain having a bike/ jet bike/ hellion in hand to hand combat with ANYTHING. i understand it is just a game and that reality takes a back seat to fun most of the time but there has to be a point where you have "ok, this is just stupid...".

The Hellion is easy to explain. He hovers around head/torso height, darting around, using the bladed edges of the board as a weapon on of itself. He doesn't make great swooping passes in and out of the unit he's fighting, or just float static hacking with his glaive. As for the genuine bikes, it's why I think all Bikes should come with Hit and Run as standard. When I imagine bikes fighting, I see them ploughing into an enemy unit and keeping going, aiming to crush anything in their path (or tear out throats with the prow-blades if they're Reaver Jetbikes, or do whatever Guardian Jetbikes do) and bursting out the other side of the unit without stopping.

The fact that they can't do this, however, is frankly just another abstraction in a game filled to the brim with abstractions. Why does a Walker have to fight a unit it's locked in combat with, that can't possibly hurt it, instead of just striding forward and ignoring them? Why are Space Marines the only army able to willingly rout and regroup for a counter attack? Why can't Orks gleefully fire into close combat regardless of who they hit? Why is the Eldar Bright Lance, a weapon technologically far superior to almost anything the Imperium produces, ruleswise often inferior to a Lascannon? Why do the Chaos Gods suddenly lose interest in a unit of followers if the guy with the pointy stick gets killed?

like why would my ancient robots with tecnology so advanced it nears magic have a unit with a BS2(tomb spider) when today we can fire a missle from 100s of miles away and it can guide ITSELF into a window of the building that is target lies in.

Because Tomb Spyders aren't war units. Remember that most of the Necron forces in the codex are not the actual 'military' - they're the scouting forces, the guards that maintain the Tomb complexes, whatever. Tomb Spyders are maintenance units that can fight, but fighting isn't what they're designed to do. It's a large, mechanical janitor with a high-powered taser to dissuade muggers.

Why any of these things, though? Because it's a game. Because it's filled with things that don't make sense for a whole variety of reasons - whether that's simply due to 40k's unique fluff and flavour, in order to keep the rules balanced, to make sure the game plays fluidly instead of getting bogged down with dozens of fiddly rules that don't work in anything larger scale than a skirmish game, or any other number of reasons. Like the Tomb Spyder example above, or the various justifications for the assorted types of Bikes people in this thread have given, some oddities can be explained away with a bit of in-universe thinking and digging through the fluff. But really, why bother? For better or worse, 40k doesn't make rational, logical sense. It runs on Rule of Cool and what the developers and fluff writers think is the most fitting for the universe they've created. By trying to hold it up to more strict, realistic standards, personally I think you're somewhat missing the point.

But, as you yourself say; personal opinion.

thanoson
23-06-2010, 06:44
I was actually more fond of the older chaos bikes than the newer yamaha type bikes now. The ones that had the blades on the sides of their feet. Those were awesome as they looked like they couldn't fall over. They were huge thundering beast of metal.

Otterpot
23-06-2010, 06:52
ork warbikes are just great, and while I also like the sm bikes, they're ridiculous

Laughingmonk
23-06-2010, 07:19
I always imagined SM bikers fighting like dragoons, riding up, and then dismounting at the last second before assaulting. Once the fightings done, they hop back on and continue.

I love bikes. Especially large displacement cruisers. But I can't ever see their usefulness in combat (well, maybe combat against THE MAN)

jonny4by6
23-06-2010, 08:39
i voted awsome
the reason for that is i realy enjoy useing my sm biker army which has about 37 bikes in it and in game i have found them to be able to deal with most threats

Fanboy
23-06-2010, 12:50
I voted awesome.

For my BA list (1650 or 1500 points) I have either 3 attack bikes with MMs, as 3 seperate units (150 points), used for vehicle hunting, or 3 Bikes with 2 meltaguns, and vet serg with combi melta, all for 120 points, excellent for vehicle hunting. So i really like bikes.......they work well for me.

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

tsutek
23-06-2010, 13:47
Didn't vote - my option wasn't available..

I do like bikes/jetbikes in 40k. Having said that, I also think that Marines on bikes is too gay for my taste.. Just drop the bikes from the SM armies and it's all good IMO. Only give bikes for the "fluffy" armies (like Orks, DE/Eldar).

lowmanjason
23-06-2010, 16:21
I voted awesome.

For my BA list (1650 or 1500 points) I have either 3 attack bikes with MMs, as 3 seperate units (150 points), used for vehicle hunting, or 3 Bikes with 2 meltaguns, and vet serg with combi melta, all for 120 points, excellent for vehicle hunting. So i really like bikes.......they work well for me.

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

you can make rules to make anything "awsome" im really more talking about the concept of bikes in battle. if they more worked like a charging cavalry horse i could see the at least the historical signifigance at least (though not tacticaly sound in the year 40000). but as it stands now i think bike are retarded

Freak Ona Leash
23-06-2010, 17:57
Fencing with chainsaws sounds dumb too but that is a staple of the game. ;)

Bikes are awesome. 'Nuff said.

williamhm
23-06-2010, 18:02
Fencing with chainsaws sounds dumb too but that is a staple of the game. ;)

Bikes are awesome. 'Nuff said.

Agreed. It's the rule of cool man the rule of cool.

JackCrow
23-06-2010, 20:48
There once was a Black and White Space Marine on a Black and White bike... :)

Tokamak
23-06-2010, 21:07
Not including bikes would severly limit the cavalry spectrum of 40k.

Ghost-13
23-06-2010, 21:14
I voted awesome, the jetbikes are what convinced me to pick up eldar in the first place.

My brother plays raven wing, and more often then not he throws them into melee, which i can just picture as the 40k equivalent of a cavalry charge. Which is awesome.

TheOneWithNoName
23-06-2010, 22:02
The Eldar jetbikes are pretty cool, but the spess mareen bikers not so much.

gwarsh41
23-06-2010, 22:21
I think that bikes are cool, but I never use them. For space wolves the price tag has always been to high for me. Now I have marines riding wolves, Screw bikes!!!

de Selby
23-06-2010, 22:24
The space marine ones are a bit lame. They don't look great and they feel like an awkward concept (genetically engineered warrior-monk-knights in space... on motorbikes!!!). Jetbikes and ork bikes are cool though.

- draw a line from the previous' turn position to the current one and
- extend to the opposite side and same distance of the model.
- place a large blast marker on that point and choose the new position from that point.
I've played racing-games on checkered paper with such a ruleset, and it worked fine :-)

I support bringing a rule like that onto the tabletop: I've also played the pencil and paper racing game you refer to and it's a great game mechanic. I adapted it for floor racing games and it worked well.

Khorneguy
23-06-2010, 23:17
I say bikes in 40k aren't such as stupid idea. Any competant bike player knows you use speed, guns and range to whittle down the enemy, before swooping in to finish them in combat if need be. If you've done it right, you'll break through in a single turn anyway, so if you play them right, they don't just grind to a halt mid battle. Don't forget a single turn lasts about 30 seconds to a minute anyway, so it's not so much stopping, it's slowing down to the extent that you can fight.

As for being able to effectively fight from the back of one, every race that has access to them has natural abilites that would counteract the difficulties. Space Mariens, which their strength and skill are more than capable of driving the bike with one hand while swinging a chainsword or powersword with the other. Don't forget they undergo extensive training before they take to the field mounted on bikes to ensure their combat effectiveness isn't compromised

The Eldar have insanely fast reflexes that mean they can probably let go, strike and put their hands back on the bars before they lose control. And Orks quite frankly don't care. Their bikes are more like buggies anyway.

Freak Ona Leash
23-06-2010, 23:33
There once was a Black and White Space Marine on a Black and White bike... :)

I less than three you for that comment.

burad
24-06-2010, 00:08
Cavalry with an explosively tipped lance that they can thrust into the side of a vehicle and survive the experience is as far out there as bikes in melee.

TheMav80
24-06-2010, 02:24
I realize that a lot of things about 40K don't make sense from a realism point of view and the rule of cool is always in effect. That said, for me, bikers are just a step too far. It breaks my suspension of disbelief.

If they were changed to some sort of light vehicle, I think I could like it better.

Xyrex
24-06-2010, 03:03
Fluff: no, no fricken bikes for marines, it's retarded.
Rules: make no sense.
Tactics: bikes can be effective if you know how to use them.

Personally, I don't like bikes too much, even though I'm a DA fan. It simply doesn't make sense to me why a 7 foot tall marine in power aror would ever even touch a bike, to me they seem more like a sit in the tank or drop pod people, and not the "WOOHOO!!!! *crash* OH MY EMPEROR" sort of people. And even in 38,000 years from now bikes would be completely useless. Apparently machine guns tend to leave bikes without riders for some strange reason.

Cheexsta
24-06-2010, 04:00
I like 40k bikes. Their over-the-top feel fits 40k perfectly.

In Batman: The Dark Knight, Batman's bike reminded me a lot of a SM bike. Giant wheels, weapons attached to it, a little awkward but still apparently functional.

As for assaults, I imagine the bikers themselves would either disembark before engaging the enemy in assault (think Homeric charioteers - they rode chariots into battle but disembarked to actually attack the enemy, though this might just be a misunderstanding by Homer about how a chariot actually worked...), or they might even just encircle the melee, lashing out with their weapons every now and then (sort of like a Cantabrian circle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantabrian_circle), except with the enemy in the middle of the formation). Maybe they even charge into the middle of the enemy formation, like the (light?!) cavalry in Lord of the Rings, and circle around for another pass after they come out the other side.

It's too easy to think of miniatures being static figures, but I like to imagine quite a bit of movement happening.

Xyrex
24-06-2010, 04:54
Except he fell off of it and almost died.

Cheexsta
24-06-2010, 11:47
The Joker counts as dangerous terrain.

gwarsh41
24-06-2010, 16:31
Batman rolled a 1, but his invul saved him.
(Commissioner Gordon counts as a ++4)

Dark Aly
24-06-2010, 17:23
apart from one vanilla marine army (and now deathwing) my other armies are ravenwing, mech eldar plus bikes, white scars and contemplating ork biker army. so essentially- unless it's made of or got bikes in it i'm unlikely to play it.

it's not that i don't like other armies it's just that fast vehicles and bikes always get my attention. too much mad max i think.

innerwolf
24-06-2010, 17:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXWh3dNQkw4

Enough said ;p

fwacho
28-06-2010, 02:56
I play raven wing yes... I love bikes

Damage,Inc.
28-06-2010, 06:37
I love bikers, personally. I love the heavy feel of marine bikers.

How very telling... but who am I to judge whom others find companionship with? :P

Scythe
28-06-2010, 09:10
Eldar jetbikes and Ork bikes are ok, space marine bikes just... aren't.... Those have no place on the battlefield.

On the other hand, they are not as bad as a certain marines riding large wolves to battle...:wtf:

MegaPope
28-06-2010, 09:19
Bikes still make sense in SM/CSM armies - they're long range recon troops and/or close fire support for assault squads/raptors (although Chaos bikes, being extra spiky, also serve as the equivalent of raiding fast cavalry as well).

lowmanjason
28-06-2010, 22:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXWh3dNQkw4

Enough said ;p

:wtf:wow... worst example ever, the tanks just sat around moving their turrets back and forth. so was a lame vote?