PDA

View Full Version : Will they redo army book magic?

HeroFox
21-06-2010, 19:17
So.. I'm looking through my High magic right now and Flames of the Phoenix will need a dice roll of 7+ to cast with a Lv.4 Wizard..

Think they'll redo all the book lores to make them on par with the lores in the 8th Ed. rulebook?

Or do you think they'll just raise casting values?

Or will they do nothing?

EldarWonderland
21-06-2010, 19:21
All of those and none of those :)

Not long to wait now though.

Emeraldw
21-06-2010, 19:25
Unlikely to see the Army book lores change. However, I believe most people will use the Army book lores in the mean time. Those spells are very nice and destructive. Lore of life has an invocation spell for non undead and a +3 (!) Toughness spell.

I don't see myself using the High Elf lore over the choice of the basic 8 lores, especially with passive bonuses.

bluemage
21-06-2010, 19:43
Well a number of the spells don't seem that powerful compared with the new spells, so leaving them at their current casting costs seems like it would be balanced. I don't think they'll be changed, but my GW super secret inside source (magic 8 ball) says to try again later. :D

On a serious note, I really feel that the GW really does use a magic 8 ball for some decisions. :rolleyes:

bluesystem
21-06-2010, 20:27
Well a number of the spells don't seem that powerful compared with the new spells, so leaving them at their current casting costs seems like it would be balanced. I don't think they'll be changed, but my GW super secret inside source (magic 8 ball) says to try again later. :D

On a serious note, I really feel that the GW really does use a magic 8 ball for some decisions. :rolleyes:

You would think by now you'd realize that they roll a d6.

a 6 is usually a really good decision, and 1's....

I'll let you figure out what those are yourself.

Stronginthearm
21-06-2010, 20:32
Works Like this
1: Make horrible Descision that will make them little to no money and Pi$$ off customers
2:Make Bad descision which still makes them money but annoys consumers
3: Do nothing (yes thats the 3)
4: Make Desicision that makes marginal sense but doesnt make much money
5: make good descision that makes money and makes us happy
6: redo from start minus one to all roles except a natural 6

Razhem
21-06-2010, 20:55
I wouldn't discount the armybook lores completely. There are a lot of nasty spells that became a lot easier to cast and still have potent effects, a plague with a roll of a 9 is pretty damn huge and a lord of change with two heads is throwing his nuke of the apocolypse on a 6+ It isn't as massively destructive as -d3 toughness on an enemy unit or an ini check for all models or insta dead, but it is more secure. Hell, I would probably go level 4 with a book lore and a level 2 with a core book lore, first cast the easy spells with the level 4 and then throw all the dice left at one of the big hitters with the level 2, since you can have him miscast and not suffer it as much.

But yeah, they definitely should be errated, if only to adjust spell cast difficulties.

Dokushin
21-06-2010, 21:18
Did we ever get straight on how RiP spells are handled? As in, are we going to be able to dispel Flames of the Phoenix after it's in progress?

7+ FotP that doesn't tie up the caster (due to new RiP rules) will be huge, regardless.

HeroFox
21-06-2010, 21:26
Did we ever get straight on how RiP spells are handled? As in, are we going to be able to dispel Flames of the Phoenix after it's in progress?

7+ FotP that doesn't tie up the caster (due to new RiP rules) will be huge, regardless.

Yes, you can still dispel after the Flames go off on your turn just like it is in 7th. You can spend PD to dispel it or scroll it if you so wish.

Yes, 7+ Flames will be huge for me as a High Elf player. Not to mention 8+ and your magic item is gone via Vaul's Unmaking will be amazing. The best thing about that is that now that nothing in metal does that, HE are the only army that can negate magic items via a spell.

Nocculum
21-06-2010, 21:27
Certain spells in the Army books need errata and effects changing, as some are redundant now. Movement based spells or those which allow movement through X terrain over Y become unworthy of having dice thrown at them.

They'd need an errata to ensure that Spell 1 of each lore can be taken multiple times too, otherwise staples such as Tree Singing will be weakened and Wood Elves already have a hard time it appears.

Change spells? Likely not.

Errata?

I am 100% certain of it.

Charistoph
21-06-2010, 21:38
Yes Army Book spells will change. At the latest, they will change when they get a new book.

Rumors about errata change every day, though.

Sparowl
21-06-2010, 21:53
You can spend PD to dispel it or scroll it if you so wish.

Scrolls can't get rid of RiP spells once they cast anymore. You can only use Dispel scrolls when the spell is being cast. So you'll have to use dice to get rid of them.

Xyon
22-06-2010, 03:39
Well, I figure, they're releasing pdf errata's for each army book right? THey could redo each specific lore with those pdf's. So I dont see why they couldent make changes, I just think it may be too much of a good thing if they do it, so we should not expect it.