PDA

View Full Version : Templates - GW cheeky moneygrab!

soots
22-06-2010, 05:00
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=10500132a

Anyone notice anything special about the fancy templates?

Theyre not round!

They have little flames/spikes coming out of them. The pedantic players will obviously take advantage of this (i can see another possible 2 hits per spike).

Have to invest in them!

BlutGeist
22-06-2010, 05:36
You measure from the inside of the circles....

Coldblood666
22-06-2010, 05:50
Those new templates are dumb imo and cater to the "compulsive shopper". Ill stick with my hardy basic ones.

twistinthunder
22-06-2010, 06:23
have you noticed! it has a clearly defined circle and the video they made shows clearly that you figure out hows hit from the inside.

Skywave
22-06-2010, 06:29
Sometime images are accompanied by text, wich, while can be seen as optional, can contain usefull information, like this:

The sun device comprises both a small and large template and even has the central holes for specific targeting. You use the inside of the circle to define the area that has been hit.

Urgat
22-06-2010, 08:20
Been reading the rules underneath that, look at the diagram where they explain how you decide between front/flank/rear charges... how is the one on the left difficult to decide on? It's obviously a rear charge, there's 3 goblin warriors on the valid rear charge angle, and only two on the flank charge one :/ It's not any different than the wolves in the bottom right corner :confused:

Eternus
22-06-2010, 08:50
They're collectibles, nothing more. If I was just starting out and had no templates already, I would buy them, but as I have 2 sets, I won't be bothering. Nor will I be bothering with the special Skull Dice, or the Combat Resolution Tracker or the Magic Spell Cards. Though nice, I'm not spending another 20-25 all told to buy stuff I don't need on top of the cost of an expensive new Rulebook.

slayerofmen
22-06-2010, 09:13
says at the bottom of the product description

"You use the inside of the circle to define the area that has been hit."

abuse value = 0

silks
22-06-2010, 09:44
Anyone notice anything special about the fancy templates?

Yes - they are gorgeous and I'll be getting some

Ultimate Life Form
22-06-2010, 09:45
says at the bottom of the product description

"You use the inside of the circle to define the area that has been hit."

abuse value = 0

If you always carry a computer with internet access with you to prove it to the abusive players.

minionboy
22-06-2010, 09:48
Been reading the rules underneath that, look at the diagram where they explain how you decide between front/flank/rear charges... how is the one on the left difficult to decide on? It's obviously a rear charge, there's 3 goblin warriors on the valid rear charge angle, and only two on the flank charge one :/ It's not any different than the wolves in the bottom right corner :confused:

That took me a minute to get at first, but actually in the new rules, you use the front rank only for determining relative position. As the front rank of that unit has one model bisected diagonally, then two on either side, it is unclear which direction the unit charges from.

"If a charging unit straddles two zones, then the unit is considered to be in the zone where the majority of the models in its front rank are. If there is no clear majority, roll a dice."

You can actually read that in the rules above the image if you squint.

Tommygun
22-06-2010, 09:50
Those new templates are dumb imo and cater to the "compulsive shopper". Ill stick with my hardy basic ones.

But I am a dumb compulsive shopper.

I want them. They're shinny. Are they compatible with 40k templates?

Scythe
22-06-2010, 09:57
If you always carry a computer with internet access with you to prove it to the abusive players.

At least you carry a heavy 500 page hardcover rulebook with you to smash some abusive players heads.

theorox
22-06-2010, 09:58
Are they compatible with 40k templates?

MAYBE! :0

Theo :chrome:

yeancientone
22-06-2010, 10:00
You don't have to buy them! I think they're pretty.

Urgat
22-06-2010, 10:19
That took me a minute to get at first, but actually in the new rules, you use the front rank only for determining relative position. As the front rank of that unit has one model bisected diagonally, then two on either side, it is unclear which direction the unit charges from.

"If a charging unit straddles two zones, then the unit is considered to be in the zone where the majority of the models in its front rank are. If there is no clear majority, roll a dice."

You can actually read that in the rules above the image if you squint.

Yeah but if you look at the pic, the goblins in the first rank are clearly 2 on the flank, 3 on the rear. The doted line goes right beetwen model 2 and model 3 corners. It is exactly the same case as with the bottom-most wolves.

edit: oh, wait, I see, you have to take into account the whole base, not just the front of the base. Was it like that already? I've always only used the front of the front rank for such purposes, and since the people I've played all did the same, it never occured to me I might have been doing it wrong (though imho my way is simpler).

Odin
22-06-2010, 12:23

Possibly... I've bought them though, because I always found that the effect of a battlefield is somewhat ruined by incongruous things like bright orange templates and dice.

I suspect the gold paint will wear off within a week though.

Jedi152
22-06-2010, 12:25
It'll make an awesome shuriken!

Chiron
22-06-2010, 13:15

But you can borrow the template and stab them with it...?

Solar_Eclipse
22-06-2010, 13:40
I think the new Brass stuff that GW came out with is incredibly awesome. Its useful for keep ing track of some things, but mainly it has some incredible theme to it!

I would buy them in a heartbeat if i had money.

Pawn of Decay
22-06-2010, 13:53
But you can borrow the template and stab them with it...?

That would certainly be an entertaining way to prove a point...

Odin
22-06-2010, 13:54
I think the new Brass stuff that GW came out with is incredibly awesome. Its useful for keep ing track of some things, but mainly it has some incredible theme to it!

I would buy them in a heartbeat if i had money.

That might explain why you haven't got money!

Voss
22-06-2010, 14:00
I think the new Brass stuff that GW came out with is incredibly awesome..

They're plastic, not brass.

slayerofmen
22-06-2010, 15:23
you don't have to carry a computer around, your opponent and you can....oh i don't know come to an agreement before the game starts...........

"hey i bought those crazy templates"
"oh yeah they look odd, how do you work out hits and so forth?"
"i was thinking using the inside inside edge of the circle, as it's the same diameter as a normal template is that okay?"
"don't see why not, as long as its consistent"

then they game, lolz are had drinks are drunk, foods consumed

p.s, also consider if someone is that anal about it that they can't see logic or reason (players choice) do as stated above and stab them in the eye with it, it's very simple

pregame 30second discussion with opponent = good idea

loveless
22-06-2010, 15:28
You shouldn't even need to come to an agreement...their use is obvious. Anyone who's used "multi-style" templates before will have no issue using these.

I mean, good Lord...there's a big circle with a little circle inside of it, and an additional teardrop template.

But, people never fail to surprise me...hell, someone today was talking about heading to Milwaukee, West Consin :rolleyes:

UberBeast
22-06-2010, 16:28
I'm more interested in those figures at the bottom of the page. The regimental mascot looks great!

Chiron
22-06-2010, 16:32
Then away to News and Rumour discussion forum with ye and let us hear no more about them in this thread!

decker_cky
22-06-2010, 22:20
I was planning on using the regimental mascot as my 3" template.

Malorian
22-06-2010, 22:24
I have 2 sets of templates already... no need for 'pretty' ones.