PDA

View Full Version : 8th Ed Vampire Counts 2000points - Grave Guard Deathstar shall survive!

Nathangonmad
22-06-2010, 05:23
8th Ed Vampires

Vampire Lord
-Forbidden Lore
-Summon Ghouls
-Master of the black arts
-Helm of command
-Black Periapt
Total-350points

Lord points limit: Fine.

Wight King-75points
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
-Great Weapon
Total-235points

Vampire
-Infinite Hatred
-Ghoul kin
-Flayed Hauberk
-Sword of Kings
Total-200points

Heroes points limit: Fine.

10 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-88points

10 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-88points

22 Ghouls
-Ghast
Total-184points

5 Dire Wolves-40points

Corpse Cart
-Balefire
Total-100points

Compulsory Core choise points: Met.

17 Grave Guard
-Standard
-Banner of the barrows
-Seneschal
-Great Weapons
Total- 290points

Special Limitations: Fine

Black Coach-200points

4 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-225points

Rare Limitations: Fine

2000points

Tomalock
22-06-2010, 06:02
Unfortunatly the core minimum is not met. It specifically states in the 8th rulebook that any core unit that does not count towards the current limit also does not count towards your 25% minimum. Its a bummer, but thats the way it goes. You also have a lowish breakpoint for scenario 4, if you care. Might want to take another unit or two with a banner to give you a cushion.

Nathangonmad
22-06-2010, 12:39
Unfortunatly the core minimum is not met. It specifically states in the 8th rulebook that any core unit that does not count towards the current limit also does not count towards your 25% minimum. Its a bummer, but thats the way it goes. You also have a lowish breakpoint for scenario 4, if you care. Might want to take another unit or two with a banner to give you a cushion.

God damnit. Thanks for pointing this out. Guess Ill have to invest in some skeletons or something. Or maybe another combat ready sized unit of ghouls.

Ok back. Made some changes to keep with the current core rules.

Vampire Lord
-Forbidden Lore
-Summon Ghouls
-Master of the black arts
-Helm of command
-Black Periapt
Total-350points

Lord points limit: Fine.

Wight King-75points
-Battle standard bearer
-Drakenhof banner
-Great Weapon
Total-235points

Vampire
-Infinite Hatred
-Ghoul kin
-Flayed Hauberk
-Sword of Kings
Total-200points

Heroes points limit: Fine.

10 Ghouls-80points
-Ghast+8points
Total-88points

25 Ghouls-200points
-Ghast+8points
Total-208points

25 Ghouls-200points
-Ghast+8points
Total-208points

Compulsory Core choise points: Met.

17 Grave Guard
-Standard
-Banner of the barrows
-Seneschal
-Great Weapons
Total- 290points

Special Limitations: Fine

Black Coach-200points

4 Cairn Wraiths
-Tomb Banshee
Total-225points

Rare Limitations: Fine

However Im not sure about the second vampire. I've taken him for the fact he can re-roll misses and has the free ghoul move. However for a lot cheaper I can get a wightking with asf armor and sword of kings will kb on a 5+ rather than 6+. Also an extra wound + a extra toughness. However Id lose 2 WS, 2 I and the reroll to hit.

logan054
23-06-2010, 00:22
I would hardly call 17 graveguard a deathstar, even less so no their is a 10pts banner that gives flamming attacks, also why dont you have 3 units of 20 ghouls?

Paraelix
23-06-2010, 01:12
In Break Points mission... All an opponent needs to do is kill that standard and you lose. It really isn't hard to wail on a unit til it disappears >_> Not with magic the way it is...

Nathangonmad
23-06-2010, 01:19
It appears Im going to have a legthy look at the missions before I revise my list.

why dont you have 3 units of 20 ghouls?

Because one is simply a bunker for my vampire lord to stand in. The other 2 are combat units. However after hearing about these mission types I may be dropping a unit of ghouls for a decent sized skeleton unit.

Paraelix
23-06-2010, 01:33
I missed the BSB... Technically, kill 2 standards OR the General and victory. Watch out for Chaos Lords.

Lotl Botl
24-06-2010, 02:59
Also, correct me if Im wrong but 25% of 2,000 is 500 and the cap for Lords & Heroes is 25% or 500 pts and right now you have way over that invested in you characters sooo i think it illegal

Tomalock
24-06-2010, 03:34
Its 25% for Lords and 25% for Heroes for a total 50% that could be spent on characters.

Lotl Botl
25-06-2010, 05:12
well, thats kind of silly, being allowed to have up to half your force in characters. I think it makes much more sense personally for it to be 25% for both Lords and Heroes. Well whatever whats done is done...sigh

Gorak
25-06-2010, 05:23
25% for lords and heros isn't so bad, most armies can only field one tooled up lord in 2000 or a couple o cheap ones. In fact with my DoC I can only use 50pts in gifts on my thirster instead of the whole 100. Now as for the list..... where to start.....drop the drakenholf banner, overpointed and alot of fire in 8th, bump the graveguard up to 19 + a hero, ghouls........with fear taking a nerf I see why you did this but skeletons are still better imho. Kit up a vamp wit lvl 2 lord of the dead and add the helm of commandment stick him in the middle of the unit kit it out 40 men+ and you got a soild foundation to build the list on.

Zaszz
25-06-2010, 18:17
Yeah basically the Break Point mission has a set break point limit and if you drop below it you lose right on the spot. You get 1 point for each banner and 2 for your general. So the more banners you field the more damage you can take before you lose. If your Break Point is 2 then I would suggest a minimum of 3 standard, and a general, to give you plenty of breathing room. If your limit is 3 however I would suggest a minimum of 4 standard and a general and I would still be a little nervous. Then again you only get this mission 1/6th of the time so meh just make sure that if you do get it your not 1 standard away from losing the game.

Nathangonmad
25-06-2010, 22:38
Oh I get it then. Well surely whats the point taking more than my Deathstars 2 banners. Ive played a similar list since the vampire book was first released and well since then when they have died Ive already lost.

RichBlake
26-06-2010, 15:24
Oh I get it then. Well surely whats the point taking more than my Deathstars 2 banners. Ive played a similar list since the vampire book was first released and well since then when they have died Ive already lost.

The scenariop works like this:

You have 1 breakpoint for each 1000 points your army is made of. This army has 2.

You then have a fortitude score which is:

+1 for each standard
+2 for your general

Your army has a fortitude of 3.

If either the standard dies somehow or the general dies you instantly lose, though really you'll instantly lose anyway due to crumble.

There are one of two ways to run VC now:

1) Go with a level 4 vampire and use that one vampire to cast magic everywhere using two dice a time to avoid not being able to cast for the rest of the phase. Take a level 1 Vampire as back up just in case though.

or

2) Go with a level 3 vampire and lots of level 1 vampires (3/4) and continue to one dice everything but use all the other vampires as back up for the inevitable 1s and 2s you'll roll as you then stop casting magic.

(The rules work that if you fail to roll at least a three on the power dice you use you fail to cast the spell regardless of additions. If you roll less then a 3 or fail to meet the casting value you loose momentum and cannot cast any further magic).