PDA

View Full Version : Would hamstring your army because of bad models?

Galatan
22-06-2010, 15:54
Something else than all the 8th edition talk :P .

There are bound to be lots of people who haven't taken a unit (even though it's a solid and smart choice), just because you don't like the models.

Me for example simply can't convince myself to buy some terradons. IMO they are the best unit in dealing pesky flankers/arti units next to the more unreliable charmeleon skinks, but the terradons themselves are just.....not having their best moment when it comes to the model. Sadly as a painter I find the looks of a model a lot more important than the actual usefulness (I also don't like saurus, so I tend to take a lot more skinks, which look good IMO). This is something I come across a lot in WHFB. Good useful units, but with bad looking models to represent them.

Some more examples:
Most of the high elf range (reavers, silver helms), Dark elf dark riders and warriors, the dreaded razorgor, VC fellbats (I use TK carrion birds) and the list goes on for me at least.

Sure, you can convert/find alternatives, but I can imagine that not everybody has the time or dedication for that kinda thing.

So...have you made you overall army less effective, just because you don't like certain models?

Frankly
22-06-2010, 15:59
I know T4/2 attacks thin skin meataxe Saurus are just better for their points than skinks, but I can't help playing Southlands, I just love Southlands.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
22-06-2010, 16:01
I don't atke sorcs, mostly because they're metal and not so verstile...
Also, the old Boar boys never made it, or the current hammerers(That's why I'm an Ironbreaker freak)... They just don't fit in...

Artinam
22-06-2010, 16:02
No I wouldn't I don't really like the Mounted Yeomen models but I did get them for a unit or 2.

Odin
22-06-2010, 16:02
My Wood Elf army could really do with the killing power of some Treekin and a Treeman, but I just can't bring myself to buy those models. So I'll just have to put up with bouncing off enemy heavy cavalry and monsters.

Would never buy anything as horrendous as the current chaos troll or chaos ogres.

Enigmatik1
22-06-2010, 16:04
I don't field Carrion in my armies because I hate the models. I've considered getting some WE Hawks (For that Horus feel) to use in place of them, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Galatan
22-06-2010, 16:06
I don't field Carrion in my armies because I hate the models. I've considered getting some WE Hawks (For that Horus feel) to use in place of them, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Really? I think the carrion models are great, sure not the best, but still look good.

shelfunit.
22-06-2010, 16:07
Current almost mono-pose hammerers, I hate them. Currently using miners until I can convert.

Brimweave
22-06-2010, 16:26
Current almost mono-pose hammerers, I hate them. Currently using miners until I can convert.

Yeah, I had the same issue with the hammerers models. Thier just so static looking plus the cost to buy a full unit. I'm in the middle of converting warrior models to replace the great weapon axe's heads with the one handed hammer heads. Works quite well and looks alot less static and is alot cheaper (plus, if needs be they can be used as great weapon warriors if you want ;) )

Hragnar Goreskull
22-06-2010, 16:28
I can't bring myself to buy the existing Dragon Ogres because the models are almost as old as me and I'm sure they are in the near future for WoC # wave. I would love to have them in my Throgg army, but I can't waste the money on them or the plastic black orc/cold one conversions. I'll just wait like we all do. I know when they do come out they will look just fantastic, both look and scale, cause anything is better than they are now, IMO. :skull:

Eternus
22-06-2010, 16:55
There are some units that are a sound choice but I haven't bought, not because I hate the models, but simply because I am not willing to pay out several of my well earned pounds to own them - for example, I like Chaos Trolls. I like the models and the background, but I'm not paying out 81 for a unit of six of them! At 13.50 each that's pretty steep - even a unit of 3 would set me back just over 40. That's more than I'm willing to pay for so few models, especially when my army already stands at over 3500 points.

jet_palero
22-06-2010, 17:00
I know what you mean. Its probably because I remember the old Saurus better but I can't stand the new model's heads. I also refuse to use any skull pass dwarfs as I feel they're terrible models.

Spiney Norman
22-06-2010, 17:05
Something else than all the 8th edition talk :P .

There are bound to be lots of people who haven't taken a unit (even though it's a solid and smart choice), just because you don't like the models.

yes, my army selection is primarily based on which models like, I take several substandard units in my armies because the models are awesome. Ushabti for example, which IMO are the best models in the whole warhammer range. I also refuse treekin in my wood elves because of the hideous monstrositites they sell.

The epitomy of this is my greenskin army, which doesn't include so much as a single orc, because they've actually only made one orc model that I like ever (the warboss with folded arms & eye patch).

And for the record, I love the carrion models, in fact, when I can get at my camera, i might even make it my next avatar...

Malorian
22-06-2010, 17:11
If I like a unit and don't like the models I just convert them.

Case in point, my savaye orcs with spears. Yes I could use the really old and ugly ones, or I could convert the ugly dual choppa ones, but instead I just converted regular orcs, painted on war paint to make them savage, and now they are ready for action.

(Too bad 8th will see them going into retirement...)

Tarliyn
22-06-2010, 17:17
I only use models I like but I guess I am lucky in the fact that I like pretty much the whole gw line. I don't like basically the entire vc and some others here and there: chaos ogres, rat ogres (the old metals are awesome though), chaos spawn (again the old ones are awesome), razorgore, and a few others. For the for the most part, though, I like most of what gw makes.

How can you not like the new saurus :wtf: I love those guys, including temple guard I own about 100 of them. :evilgrin:

Amnar
22-06-2010, 17:20
Dark elf spearmen.. nuff said..

tezdal
22-06-2010, 17:21
If I don't like a unit, I just buy something that looks good from another company, unless its a strange-gw only type critter, then I just do without

shelfunit.
22-06-2010, 17:31
Yeah, I had the same issue with the hammerers models. Thier just so static looking plus the cost to buy a full unit. I'm in the middle of converting warrior models to replace the great weapon axe's heads with the one handed hammer heads. Works quite well and looks alot less static and is alot cheaper (plus, if needs be they can be used as great weapon warriors if you want ;) )

Exactly the same solution I may take, unless I go for the mantic models...:)

Charistoph
22-06-2010, 18:17
I'm the oppositte, I'll field a unit of good looking models, even though they suck. I haven't fielded Vespid yet because of cost, not for any other reason.

Galatan
22-06-2010, 18:22
There are some units that are a sound choice but I haven't bought, not because I hate the models, but simply because I am not willing to pay out several of my well earned pounds to own them - for example, I like Chaos Trolls. I like the models and the background, but I'm not paying out 81 for a unit of six of them! At 13.50 each that's pretty steep - even a unit of 3 would set me back just over 40. That's more than I'm willing to pay for so few models, especially when my army already stands at over 3500 points.

So very very true. I read some people talking about taking 3x3 ogre equivalent units, but the only models in that size and plastic (which make it more affordable) are rat ogres, river trolls, minotores and normal ogres. Rat ogres I find inferior compared to other skaven special choices as for the rest....I've no idea how they are, don't play/know those armies. Chaos trolls, stone trolls, kroxigor, dragon ogres, juggernaughts, ushabti,, chaos ogres and treekin all cost an arm and a leg just to field a unit of 3 :O .

How can you not like the new saurus I love those guys, including temple guard I own about 100 of them.

It's their heads, I think it makes them look.....special in a negative kinda sense. The Temple guard are cool though. Ow and why would you need a 100 TG:wtf:.

Eternus
22-06-2010, 18:41
If I like a unit and don't like the models I just convert them.

Case in point, my savaye orcs with spears. Yes I could use the really old and ugly ones, or I could convert the ugly dual choppa ones, but instead I just converted regular orcs, painted on war paint to make them savage, and now they are ready for action.

(Too bad 8th will see them going into retirement...)

If you are a dab hand with the old snips and greenstuff, this has got to be the best solution. I did this with Dark Eldar Scourges, VC Blood Knights, Questing Knights and various other units. Easier than you think once you get clear what bits you need and what you are aiming for.

Tyranno1
22-06-2010, 20:22
I have yet to use a steed of slaanesh in my WoC army because of the lack of current model. But that will change in a few months.

Minotaurs are my best example though. As in 6th/7th edition I never used a single one until the plastic kit was released, despite the fact that minotaurs are one of my favorite mythological creatures. Yes I disliked those expensive slabs of metal that much.

logan054
22-06-2010, 20:37
Well i only use the 5th ed marauders because i cant stand the new plastic ones and thus never use them with HW+SH, in most cases if i really didnt like the model i would just convert it or use something else as it.

ColShaw
22-06-2010, 20:38
I know White Lions are good, and in 8th Ed will be even better, but High Elves with battleaxes just don't look right to me. Swordmasters and Phoenix Guard for me...

jet_palero
22-06-2010, 20:40
It's their heads, I think it makes them look.....special in a negative kinda sense. The Temple guard are cool though. Ow and why would you need a 100 TG:wtf:.

Yeah, I don't like their heads. I think the old ones that came out with the Brettonian vs Lizardmen edition just looked great. I don't care for that big bony plate they have on them now.

Malorian
22-06-2010, 20:42

For the best horde ever of course :D

(But yeah, those teeth sticking out all crazy just looks orcy and not fitting for them at all.)

Orangecoke
22-06-2010, 21:25
Yes, I wont be taking Mauraders (foot) in my new WoC army even though I hear they will be excellent if you take advantage of the horde rule. They are just way, way too stupid looking and dangit I want my army to look cool.

loveless
22-06-2010, 21:40
Dark Elf Warriors and Dark Riders stopped me from making a Dark Elf list. I haven't found a good replacement for them other than converting Glade Riders - and I've got nothing for Warriors that doesn't end up looking like Corsairs. I kept waiting for Dark Riders to come out, and now...well...still no Dark Riders.

Had GW released a new Warrior kit, I'd be sitting on a lot of Druchii right now...

Skywave
22-06-2010, 22:17
I dislike the curent Ghouls and Dire Wolves enouh that I wouldn't use them if there were no alternative.

I still don't have Carrion for my TK because I'm not thrilled by the models. I'm no bird expert but all the weird flesh on the wings look so wrong, bleh. But they are also a so-so choice (even more now) that I never bothered to find a replacement.

Arkfatalis
22-06-2010, 22:26
If I don't like the current models, I'll either convert them or buy old ones from ebay. With the sheer mass of models GW has produced over the years there will always be one that can fit any purpose. However, if GW doesn't want to sell those cool old models I'll just buy them from ebay.

Pacorko
22-06-2010, 22:37
As Mal said: whatever I don't like I convert for my armies... with the exception of DE spearmen.

Xbows I can tolerate, and left hands in spearmen units remain hidden but the huge hand on the spear will kill it for me every single time. Thus, I am Corsair-ridden, and I still have to find a nice replacement for those huge-handed spear arms.

Now, most of the High Elf models have been keeping me from getting an army for as long as the 3rd. edition came out. I find most of them limited in pose and plain ugly to look at... especially the swordmasters and, you've guessed it, the current spearmen. Don't get me started on their ponies...

Hopefully, Island of Blood will change that a bit.

mrtn
22-06-2010, 22:38
I haven't used dragon ogres even though people were swearing by them both in the BoC days and now for WoC. And I haven't found a great replacement either, so I still haven't used them.

Things I have found replacements for include marauders (beastmen), razorgors (Heresy Hellbeasts) and minotaurs (minos from Ral Partha). I should include clanrats here as well, since I started my army 1 years before the release of the 7th ed book, and refuse the old multipart plastics. My army now comprise mostly of old monopose plastic clanrats, old metals and a few of the new models.

I've also refused to buy a lot of models due to price, the new jezzails for example, I use old Marauder models instead that I found cheap.

Orangecoke
22-06-2010, 22:54
I haven't used dragon ogres even though people were swearing by them both in the BoC days and now for WoC. And I haven't found a great replacement either, so I still haven't used them.

Things I have found replacements for include marauders (beastmen), razorgors (Heresy Hellbeasts) and minotaurs (minos from Ral Partha). I should include clanrats here as well, since I started my army 1 years before the release of the 7th ed book, and refuse the old multipart plastics. My army now comprise mostly of old monopose plastic clanrats, old metals and a few of the new models.

I've also refused to buy a lot of models due to price, the new jezzails for example, I use old Marauder models instead that I found cheap.

I totally prefer the newer clanrats, but

Couldn't agree more about Dragon Ogres. Seeing what they did recently with the River trolls, imagine what a great platic set they could do today with Dragon Ogres!

zeebie
22-06-2010, 23:05
I would take good looking models over effective models anyday. Where I play , what you see is what you get, which is going to hamstring me in 8th, as I'm sure 40-50 horde formation of dwarf longbeards/warrior with greatweapons but not shields would be a useful unit but I perfer the look and feel of dwarfs with shields and handweapons so that what I will play.

I know converting is also a good option, but sometimes there is just no easy way to convert some models. If anyone knows a good Ironbreaker conversion I'm all ears.. they are so static is hurts my eyes

defunct
22-06-2010, 23:18
- Black Knights

- Common Goblins

Strike me from my own armies.

StarFyre
23-06-2010, 00:13
well, not sure if it hamstrings my army since i rarely win anyways, but i refuse to use Lizardmen cold one riders since the models are, IMHO, the most idiotic looking and pathetic sculpts that so called professional sculptors could do.

They could have the best rules ever and i would still refuse to use them.

I sold all of mine that i had.

Sanjay

Gekiganger
23-06-2010, 01:25
The whole dwarf model range is a turn off to me, their elite units don't appeal to me, the dwarf warriors are okay, but not inspiring enough to compensate. War machines I proffered before GW took all the wood out. They lack an inspiring character range too, some are okay, but none make me go 'right, I'm buying that!' as many other ranges have.

Clanrats are also the bane of my existence, the current bald / none rat-like sculpts put me off, the previous editions monkey rats are about on par. The style of the old crabrats was the one I preferred - wolfish but still definitely rats. Shame since I love warlord clan armies.

Smithpod68
23-06-2010, 02:14
I play wood elves and dislike the treekin models. Think they are too spindly.

twistinthunder
23-06-2010, 06:47
I don't play high elves because I absolutely hate the spearmen models, like wise for dark elves spearmen. I was tempted to start tomb kings but the sheer amount of metal is what puts me off, i have bad experiences with large-ish metal models.

Sadesuteku
23-06-2010, 07:06
I am not that fond of the Dark Elf Spearmen, the hands are the only problem, sadly the only alts I have found and liked are, significantly more expensive then GW's models.

Ultimate Life Form
23-06-2010, 07:21
Does not starting Beastmen because of the horrible new models count?

twistinthunder
23-06-2010, 07:23
? i don't think their new models are that ugly, when you see them in real life the new Minotaurs are actually pretty nice looking, don't know about the razorgors though, sadly.

*SQUEE*
23-06-2010, 08:12
I never take a model if i find it ugly. Sometimes this means that I end up paying 3x the cost of the existing model to convert it to something usable.

Ultimate Life Form
23-06-2010, 09:36
? i don't think their new models are that ugly, when you see them in real life the new Minotaurs are actually pretty nice looking, don't know about the razorgors though, sadly.

I've gotten used to the Minotaurs (paintjob is a huge factor here) and made peace with the Pumbagor (okay - it is utterly ridiculous but no one forces me to buy it), but sadly the various Gor subspecies that had great appeal as Beats of Chaos changed for the worse and just don't cut it anymore. With Chaos and everything else that appealed to me taken out of the army my interest quite literally died.

ftayl5
23-06-2010, 09:48
Yep I do. My VC army is outmanouvred all the time. I take plenty of wolves but they get shot up, solution? Black Knights. But i won't take them coz the models are awful.

A Pump Wagon would help out my Gobbo army alot, but I hate the new model so I dont have one...

Dr Death
23-06-2010, 11:30
While i don't really play that much so cant talk about 'tactical' hamstringing, in terms of armies and collections models are a big big deal. That said, half the models people have been talking about here i think are perfectly fine- Dark Elf warriors?! What's wrong with them, they look fantastic! The Harpies aren't mortifying either. Same applies to the High Elf range. I'll grant you that the archer page-boy haircut isn't ideal but the chunky hands on the warriors are a bit of an occupational hazard with warhammer models and are not exactly impossible to rectify (the same was true of the previous lot of clan-rats- i wonder how much better a regiment would have looked if you had just done some hand-swapping with some human models). For me the biggest problem with the High Elf models was the helmets- the dark elves got a new 'clipped down' helm but the high elves were left with the cone-head arrangement.

Similarly i cant see much wrong with the current marauders on foot. It's a fantastic kit- just a load of big, brawny barbarian types. Granted they're second fiddle in the coolness stakes to the marauder horsemen but honestly- have people lost the ability to kit-bash? One really nice feature of the Marauders is for once the hands are more or less in proportion with the muscles meaning they do look pumped- the big 'ham-fists' on dwarf model particularly really rob them of their strong look.

On the other hand there are models that really do turn you from either buying them as a unit or even as a whole army. Consistency is also an issue here; it's mortifying when an army has an inconsistent model range either because the whole look has moved on leaving one or two niggling units that you'd really love to include but are just hoping to god they will update, or, just as irritating, a couple of units start moving ahead of the pack, leaving the range split between a few fab new models and a perfectly serviceable but now outdated majority. But also there are models that are just plain bad even if they're the most recent to be released- chronology is no guarantee of quality :p

Some of the mingers that really do hack me off include: Everything with the word 'Saurus' in it from the Lizardmen (and the skinks aren't exactly a miracle of sculpting either), Grail Knights (indistinguishable from knights of the realm basically), Demonettes (why oh why did they think changing them was a good idea?) the current warrior priests and flagellants (a sadly poor update for fantastic previous models), Tiranoc Chariot horses (so so promising as replacements for the silver helm horses, if only they weren't built like greyhounds) and shadow warriors (And Juan Diaz's were in need of replacement how?), Chaos Ogres (though i am quite fond of the trolls), Plastic Rat Ogres (when CAD goes BAD), Strigoi, Crypt Ghouls (Heresy do roaring trade off the back of that one i bet), Dire wolves, bats (swarms and vampire) and black knights.

Consistency, as i said is another issue, here are some of the offenders: Bray Shamans and Tuskgor Chariots, Mounted Yeomen (well everyone else is inbred, why keep the yeomen looking normal?), Black Ark Corsairs (one step beyond the look, the Cold one knights aren't quite as bad in that regard), Dwarf Hammerers, Knightly Orders (well they're only a decade old and were fine models in their time, but nowadays, they just don't cut it), Common Goblins of all descriptions (pity, since the previous goblin design yielded some of my all time favourite models), Night Runners and to a lesser extent plague monks too, warpfire thrower and globadiers (soon to be fixed apparently), all the tomb king skellies (naturally soon to be amended), necromancers, either the new chaos knights or the old chaos warriors (quite hard to pick the superior there), chaos chariot and dragon ogres.

Dr Death

Commissar Vaughn
23-06-2010, 11:43
"So...have you made you overall army less effective, just because you don't like certain models? "

Yes, yes, tenthousand times YES, for me this game is all about the spectacle: If it doesnt look right I dont want to know. And I always try and get my stuff painted before it goes into battle (not always succesfully to be fair) and really hate the proxies...

One thing that always annoys me is the sight of a nicely laid out gaming table, with well presented scenery, one army deplyed and painted, even if not well painted, when the other player dumps down a load of plastic bases, and unridden horses, and whitemetal lumps...

They even allow games like that in GW nowadays!

AFnord
23-06-2010, 11:46
Sometimes i'm quite glad that I've been in the hobby for quite some time.
Terradons? No problem, I have the old models (although my chances of getting more terradons seem to be rather low)
Treeman? Same there, old model.
Wardancers? I built my own. And they wear decent clothes, and lacks mohawks.

Orangecoke
23-06-2010, 17:13
While i don't really play that much so cant talk about 'tactical' hamstringing, in terms of armies and collections models are a big big deal. That said, half the models people have been talking about here i think are perfectly fine- Dark Elf warriors?! What's wrong with them, they look fantastic! The Harpies aren't mortifying either. Same applies to the High Elf range. I'll grant you that the archer page-boy haircut isn't ideal but the chunky hands on the warriors are a bit of an occupational hazard with warhammer models and are not exactly impossible to rectify (the same was true of the previous lot of clan-rats- i wonder how much better a regiment would have looked if you had just done some hand-swapping with some human models). For me the biggest problem with the High Elf models was the helmets- the dark elves got a new 'clipped down' helm but the high elves were left with the cone-head arrangement.

Similarly i cant see much wrong with the current marauders on foot. It's a fantastic kit- just a load of big, brawny barbarian types. Granted they're second fiddle in the coolness stakes to the marauder horsemen but honestly- have people lost the ability to kit-bash? One really nice feature of the Marauders is for once the hands are more or less in proportion with the muscles meaning they do look pumped- the big 'ham-fists' on dwarf model particularly really rob them of their strong look.

On the other hand there are models that really do turn you from either buying them as a unit or even as a whole army. Consistency is also an issue here; it's mortifying when an army has an inconsistent model range either because the whole look has moved on leaving one or two niggling units that you'd really love to include but are just hoping to god they will update, or, just as irritating, a couple of units start moving ahead of the pack, leaving the range split between a few fab new models and a perfectly serviceable but now outdated majority. But also there are models that are just plain bad even if they're the most recent to be released- chronology is no guarantee of quality :p

Some of the mingers that really do hack me off include: Everything with the word 'Saurus' in it from the Lizardmen (and the skinks aren't exactly a miracle of sculpting either), Grail Knights (indistinguishable from knights of the realm basically), Demonettes (why oh why did they think changing them was a good idea?) the current warrior priests and flagellants (a sadly poor update for fantastic previous models), Tiranoc Chariot horses (so so promising as replacements for the silver helm horses, if only they weren't built like greyhounds) and shadow warriors (And Juan Diaz's were in need of replacement how?), Chaos Ogres (though i am quite fond of the trolls), Plastic Rat Ogres (when CAD goes BAD), Strigoi, Crypt Ghouls (Heresy do roaring trade off the back of that one i bet), Dire wolves, bats (swarms and vampire) and black knights.

Consistency, as i said is another issue, here are some of the offenders: Bray Shamans and Tuskgor Chariots, Mounted Yeomen (well everyone else is inbred, why keep the yeomen looking normal?), Black Ark Corsairs (one step beyond the look, the Cold one knights aren't quite as bad in that regard), Dwarf Hammerers, Knightly Orders (well they're only a decade old and were fine models in their time, but nowadays, they just don't cut it), Common Goblins of all descriptions (pity, since the previous goblin design yielded some of my all time favourite models), Night Runners and to a lesser extent plague monks too, warpfire thrower and globadiers (soon to be fixed apparently), all the tomb king skellies (naturally soon to be amended), necromancers, either the new chaos knights or the old chaos warriors (quite hard to pick the superior there), chaos chariot and dragon ogres.

Dr Death

I agree with a lot of your examples here (jeez the Rat Ogres are gawd awful). But I just really don't like those Marauders - they are too...chunky? The muscles are overly cartoony...I think that's my main beef with them (no pun intended). I just prefer the more natural look of the Horsemen for example. I could kit bash, but frankly I already have my hands full painting the rest of the army! :)

horror
23-06-2010, 17:27
The whole dwarf model range is a turn off to me, their elite units don't appeal to me, the dwarf warriors are okay, but not inspiring enough to compensate. War machines I proffered before GW took all the wood out. They lack an inspiring character range too, some are okay, but none make me go 'right, I'm buying that!' as many other ranges have.

Clanrats are also the bane of my existence, the current bald / none rat-like sculpts put me off, the previous editions monkey rats are about on par. The style of the old crabrats was the one I preferred - wolfish but still definitely rats. Shame since I love warlord clan armies.

The new Clanrats look exactly like ratmen should look in my opinion. I think they are the biggest sculpting improvement in terms of core infantry that I have seen since joining the hobby some 15 years ago.

A lot of the original metal models look like hairy ducks to me. I like them, but they're not really rats. The monkey rats are just horrendous. The plastic Plague Monks are ok, but I don't understand why people sometimes paint their noses black. They are not dogs. They are rats.

Gekiganger
23-06-2010, 17:33
Sometimes i'm quite glad that I've been in the hobby for quite some time.
Terradons? No problem, I have the old models (although my chances of getting more terradons seem to be rather low)
Treeman? Same there, old model.
Wardancers? I built my own. And they wear decent clothes, and lacks mohawks.

Speaking of which, I loved the old salamanders, can't stand the new ones.

The new Clanrats look exactly like ratmen should look in my opinion. I think they are the biggest sculpting improvement in terms of core infantry that I have seen since joining the hobby some 15 years ago.

A lot of the original metal models look like hairy ducks to me. I like them, but they're not really rats. The monkey rats are just horrendous. The plastic Plague Monks are ok, but I don't understand why people sometimes paint their noses black. They are not dogs. They are rats.

To each his own, attached a picture as my argument, green heads being my ideal and red being terrible, the others are so-so.

Orangecoke
23-06-2010, 17:36

Totally agree, I painted a whole army of Skaven largely based on how cool the new clanrat models were.

Galatan
23-06-2010, 18:11

Dr Death

I totally agree on the consistency issue. I find this one of the biggest issue's in WFB. The fact that some army's (mostly elves for some reason) have a few awesome and great models, but the rest is like 10 years old or so. This really does bring the whole army down I think. But most of all, I think that a good looking core is the thing that will make an army most appealing or not. Ugly looking special or rare choices you can work around with, but ugly looking core? not so much.

Although I'm surprised of you dislike of certain models. I think the new flaggies and WP's (at least the one with the 2 handed hammer) look great and are a good improvement. I also think crypt ghouls and dire wolves are pretty ok. Sure I like living wolves more than the current dead ones, but they ain't bad.

@Gekiganger: I also think the current clanrats are pretty good looking. Almost (but not totally) what I think skaven should look like. Heck it were the new clanrats that finally sparked my interest in skaven.

stuntyKing
23-06-2010, 18:22
Why does every hate on hammerers? i actually love the models, i find the uniform look makes them look elite. But of course they don't beat the ironbreakers :)

Dr Death
23-06-2010, 19:17
To each his own, attached a picture as my argument, green heads being my ideal and red being terrible, the others are so-so.

Well to each their own, personally most of those you mark out as being horrible i really love (perhaps not 'gerbil cheeks' in the front, slightly to the right). I notice a preference in the picture for the heads wearing helmets.

Although I'm surprised of you dislike of certain models. I think the new flaggies and WP's (at least the one with the 2 handed hammer) look great and are a good improvement. I also think crypt ghouls and dire wolves are pretty ok. Sure I like living wolves more than the current dead ones, but they ain't bad.

Well the Flagellants i have a particular grudge against since they supplanted the previous editions fantastic metal models. What i particularly dislike about them is just how muscle-bound they are, they're supposed to be half-starved zealots, but their arms are pumped like a marauder. There are some nice pieces on the sprue, and in terms of conversion material they are fab (chaos cultists ahoy).

As for the warrior priests, well it's a matter of preference, i just prefer the more austere looking Perry sculpts.

Dr Death

TheMav80
23-06-2010, 19:26
I hate the entire Dwarf range pretty much. Pot bellied dwarfs that wear chainmail down to their ankles are not cool.

I also don't use Terradons since the models just are not that great and they are a pain in the ass to keep together. I have 4 from the last edition that I never use and constantly fall apart.

Aluinn
23-06-2010, 19:29
For Empire, I'm not a huge fan of knightly orders, but I will take the ones I got in the battalion box sometimes. Other than that I like pretty much the whole range (with the exception of some things that are just ancient like the War Altar). But, this is why I chose the army. I do hamstring myself by not taking artillery much, but I think I'll pick some up for 8th. Cannons and, especially, mortars look pretty bland and dull, but I don't find them hideous or anything.

I think the HE range and the Beastmen were my biggest disappointments lately. The HE have no excuse to look ham-fisted and clumsy, being Elves for one thing and a relatively recent range for another. Not redoing their archers and spearmen was almost criminal. WE are the perfect example of how Elves should look to me (only ... woodsier than average), have a really stunning range, and just made the HE that followed an extreme let-down.

The Beastmen barely got any new models, and one of the "new" sets is basically a recut of an old sprue with a few minor improvements. It wasn't a bad set to begin with, but I still think the old metal Gors and Ungors looked better. This decision by GW also ensures that they'll be looking dated fairly soon in spite of being technically recent. Now I know GW is doing waves lately, so we'll probably see more Beastmen before their next book, but the Beastmen release was still bafflingly minor with only new-old 'Gors and some questionable Minotaurs as significant boxes.

At least HE can hope for some nice minis out of the new intro box. I do have high hopes for that and plan to pinch the Griffon for an Empire general if it looks nice and the rider can be removed without ruining it.

Overall, though, I think Fantasy has a great range, and like it much better than 40K, which is unfortunately chock full of boring, clunky, poorly-detailed and designed-in-1990 tanks, which are also starting to cost an arm and a leg and have been relentlessly pimped in core rules and things like Spearhead.

Gekiganger
23-06-2010, 19:37
Well to each their own, personally most of those you mark out as being horrible i really love (perhaps not 'gerbil cheeks' in the front, slightly to the right). I notice a preference in the picture for the heads wearing helmets.

Dr Death

Probably relates back to my love of the old crabrats. My main problem with the new ones is how bald many of them look, including their arms, some look like their faces have been made out of wax and then left in the sun.

I will admit paint job makes a big difference, I've seen some impressive clanrats and I'll probably still end up buying a fair few of these box sets unless the upcoming starter set pulls them off more to my liking, there will just been to be some greenstuffing going on.

tezdal
23-06-2010, 19:42
Those DE spearmen are pretty ugly IMHO, main thing that has kept me from playing Dark elves.

perplexiti
23-06-2010, 19:46
Definatly Hammerers, Although like other posters I've since started to make my own ones, although I might pick up a box of them just to put through my unit. I just don't think they look any good ranked with the others.

Spider-pope
23-06-2010, 22:32
I know what you mean. Its probably because I remember the old Saurus better but I can't stand the new model's heads.

Funnily enough i'm in a similar Lizardmen related situation. I love the look of the current version of Saurus, where previously i'd detested the way they looked like someone in a rubber suit. But i won't get a Lizardmen army because i can't stand the current Skinks, the old versions were far superior looking.

Lord Inquisitor
23-06-2010, 22:56
I personally can't think of a situation where I've had an issue with a particular model - any models I don't like I simply convert up (but then I'm something of a conversion nutter).

I find the opposite problem far more of an issue. If I've got a model or unit I love and I've spent a lot of time making it but the rules suck. I want to take them and it hurts to not put them in, say, a tournament list but I just can't have my chaos dreadnought shooting my own troops, the numpty.

yabbadabba
23-06-2010, 23:03
I dont even have that problem Lord Inquisitor as my gaming is so awful, I could lose with any combination of models :)

If I want it, I'll take it and if I don't like the models I'll convert.

Magic Karl
23-06-2010, 23:09
I have a problem with painting cavalry, so I tend to avoid them. It's not the larger surface that turns me off... I can do tanks. I've just never been able to enjoy painting a unit of cavalry, or even a single horse-mounted model.