PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Battle Reporters (8th Edition)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:18
Battle of the Battle Reporters

Goal:

To ensure Warseer is the best place to go for high quality battle reports while at the same time giving their writers a challenge.

How it works:

Each month there will be a call for a battle report using a set scenario. All participants then seek out to play a game using that scenario and post the report. The report will be graded and then added to the list of battle reports.

This list of battle reports will sort the reports first by the armies used and then by the grade.

The idea is that in the end this thread will be the place to go to allow readers to quickly find high quality reports for the armies they are interested in.

Grades:

Battle reports are best when they have the following things: (in order of importance)

Visual: Either pictures, diagrams, or video.
Insight: Personal thought and reflection.
Clarity: Is clear and easy to follow.

Grade A has all of these elements.
Grade B has no visual.
Grade C has no insight.
Grade D lacks clarity.
Grade F isn't even worth reading.

There will be times when a report doesn't fit perfectly into this scheme (has pictures but nothing else) and these will be graded on a case by case basis.

These can also be given a + or - depending on if it has fluff and/or negative attitude. If fluff is added then a grade will go to a + (C -> C+), but if the report is written with a negative attitude then the grade will go to a - (C -> C-). In the case it has both the grade will be unchanged.

Example of a negastive battle report: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253352

Reports submitted late suffer no negastives to their mark. New battle reporters are always incouraged to join and if you see an old scenario you like then go for it!

Hall of Fame:

Once you submit even one report you are entered into the Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame contains your name and the number of reports you have submitted.

The more you submit the higher on the list you go.

FAQ:

Q: When does this start?

A: July 10th when 8th edition comes out.

Q: How do I sign up?

A: Simply submit a report.

Q: Does it matter if in the report I am one of the players or if it's written as a spectator?

A: No.

Q: Do I have to win?

A: No.

Q: Who gives the grades?

A: I will.

Q: Who makes up the scenarios?

A: I will but feel free to make suggestions.

Q: Does the point size effect the grade?

A: Only if insanely small.

Q: Can we include links?

A: Links will only be accepted if they are to another Warseer thread, a video hosting site like YouTube, or a picture hosting site like Photobucket.

Q: Can a submit more than one report per scenario?

A: Yes. The more the better.

Q: Can i use reports I made before?

A: If you some how happened to have played a given scenario in the past then why not. Fresh reports are always a better read though.

Q: Can I update the report later on to get a better grade?

A: No. Once a grade is given it is final (due to me not wanting to have to go back over reports over and over), although feel free to update it if you wish.

Q: What happens if I miss a month? (or more...)

A: Nothing. Just jump in again whenever you can.

Q: Will this be an ongoing yearly event?

A: This particular thread will be for 8th reports only. A new one will be created for 9th.

Q: Can I join late in the event?

A: Please do! Join in whenever you want!

Q: Why are you doing this?

A: I have my reasons.

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:19
Hall of Fame

Don Zeko (1)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:19
Scenarios

July 2010: Race for the new rules!

Place the 8th edition rule book in the center of the board (other terrain is up to you), this book can be claimed, and moved, by any infantry unit that has at least 2 ranks and isn't in combat by simple moving into base to base with it. Once an infantry unit has claimed the book they may then move the book back on following turns, as long as no enemy infantry units with at least 2 ranks are also claiming it, moving like they would normally (basically dragging the book with them). If the book ends up in one player's deployment zone at the end of the game then they are declared the winner, any other result is a tie.

August 2010: Tower Rush

Setup terrain as normal and then place a tower in the left side of each player's deployment zone such that it is 12 inches from either board edge. Then roll off to pick sides as normal with the person who picked their side placing the first unit.

Units may be deployed anywhere as long as they are more than 6 inches from the center line, and only 30 models may be placed in the towers (10 if they are monsterous infantry).

First turn is rolled off as normal (+1 to the person who finished deploying first).

The first player to have one of their own units in the opponent's tower (not just assaulting it) wins, and game will continue until this happens (unlimited turns).

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:21
Beastmen

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:21
Bretonnian Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:22
Deamons of Chaos Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:22
Dark Elve Reports

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4819022&postcount=32 (A) (Don Zeko)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:23
Dwarf Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:24
Empire Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:24
High Elve Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:25
Lizardmen Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:25
Ogre Kingdom Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:26
Orc and Goblin Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:27
Skaven Reports

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4819022&postcount=32 (A) (Don Zeko)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:27
Tomb King Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:28
Vampire Count Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:28
Warriors of Chaos Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:29
Wood Elve Reports

(to be updated)

Malorian
22-06-2010, 16:31
Other Reports (like chaos dwarfs)

(to be updated)

GuyLeCheval
22-06-2010, 16:42
Yay, no more special characters to be used! Finally I can use my own theme-list.

Toshiro
22-06-2010, 21:01
Sweet =) This will be great =)

Dungeon_Lawyer
23-06-2010, 08:34
Mal this is awsome-Its great that you took lessons from your first attempt at a mass comunitybased batrep thread and made streamlines to the concept to make it better-You really give alot to the community---

Might I suggest that for a few months the "scenarios" be the ones from the BRB?

Malorian
23-06-2010, 14:49
Might I suggest that for a few months the "scenarios" be the ones from the BRB?

I'm addictd to making things interesting ;)

Seabo
23-06-2010, 19:14
I'm addictd to making things interesting ;)

Thats the understatement of the year....
:angel:

goodz
23-06-2010, 20:05
:) hyperlinks to armies will be nice!

Malorian
23-06-2010, 21:28
:) hyperlinks to armies will be nice!

Should be no need with them in the first page of posts.

So all people need to do is scroll down to the army of interest :)

Don Zeko
25-06-2010, 03:28
Just to be clear, is the July round supposed to use the 8th or 7th edition rules? If it's the 8th edition rules, how will we consult the rulebook while fighting over it?

Malorian
25-06-2010, 13:10
You use 8th edition rules.

How do you look up rules then?
1) Two players = two rule books
2) If you need to check somthing then pick up the book, check it, and put it back.

Malorian
12-07-2010, 17:47
Ok, this is open now.

Have fun fighting over the new rules :)

eagletsi1
12-07-2010, 20:00
I should be Playing a game this Friday I will try and take pictures for the report and post it here.

Mal the only issue I have with this is my Ogre's who will be playing the High Elves, don't have a unit of 20 models, at best they might have 6. Knoblars could have 20 easily, but are saying 40mm units cannot move the book?

I think you should change it to say and unit of 2 ranks, and drop count of models like the rules do or maybe add a special rules for 40mm units to move the book.

thanks,

Malorian
12-07-2010, 20:56
I should be Playing a game this Friday I will try and take pictures for the report and post it here.

Mal the only issue I have with this is my Ogre's who will be playing the High Elves, don't have a unit of 20 models, at best they might have 6. Knoblars could have 20 easily, but are saying 40mm units cannot move the book?

I think you should change it to say and unit of 2 ranks, and drop count of models like the rules do or maybe add a special rules for 40mm units to move the book.

thanks,

Fair enough. I've changed it to needing 2 ranks.

Don Zeko
14-07-2010, 02:36
Ok, my report for July is done. Here are the links; they've also been cross-posted to my battle reports thread.

Batreps Battle July: Skaven vs. Dark Elves
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg7xZ8JK3Qs
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXvlbDI_Rlc

Malorian
14-07-2010, 14:47
Awesome :)

Thanks for breaking the ice Don Zeko :)

hawo0313
15-07-2010, 11:35
wonderful thread mal once again your wonderful organisation skills bring more enjoyment to warseer (like the AoD) seriously how do you have time??

Malorian
15-07-2010, 15:12
wonderful thread mal once again your wonderful organisation skills bring more enjoyment to warseer (like the AoD) seriously how do you have time??

The trick is to be overly-awesome ;)

Or a nerd with no life...

One of the two :p

eagletsi1
15-07-2010, 18:06
Mal,

I have tried to make a 2,000 pt army with 2 ranks of ogre's. It's nearly impossible as to have 2 ranks for moving the book. It costs me about 9 bulls (Core unit, with command) 500 pts for my core. And it's very likely though shooting that one or two of my ogres in the back rank may die, thus losing the ability to carry the book.

Is there any other rule we could use for it. Like 40mm models only need 1 rank, but everyone else needs two.

Let me know,

Malorian
15-07-2010, 19:02
Mal,

I have tried to make a 2,000 pt army with 2 ranks of ogre's. It's nearly impossible as to have 2 ranks for moving the book. It costs me about 9 bulls (Core unit, with command) 500 pts for my core. And it's very likely though shooting that one or two of my ogres in the back rank may die, thus losing the ability to carry the book.

Is there any other rule we could use for it. Like 40mm models only need 1 rank, but everyone else needs two.

Let me know,

I think the main thing to do here is to work it out with your opponent.

The scenarios I give are to make the game different and interesting, not to hurt a certain build (usually :shifty:), so you and your opponent should figure out what needs to happen to make the game competitive and fun and then go from there.

I'm sure we'll enjoy the report no matter what you decide :D

(If you want an offical 'you must do this' answer, then you should add some gnoblars to your list ;))

eagletsi1
15-07-2010, 19:20
I've got two units of Gnoblars 40 strong, but when I was talking to my opponent. He was saying how all he has to do is focus on them, and then I won't be able to move the book.

I understand what your saying though. I will try and get him to allow 40mm bases to use 1 rank and still move the book.

Thanks,

w3rm
16-07-2010, 00:26
Ok I really want to try and do this. I'll see what I can do.

Malorian
20-07-2010, 22:13
August scenario is up:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4755755&postcount=3

eagletsi1
20-07-2010, 22:35
Ok. I missed the first one. Went to the store and my opponent never showed up.

So I will try and get this one in.

Gabacho Mk.II
20-07-2010, 22:36
I am very glad to finally see various scenarios coming into the game.

This, for me, brings joy to my gaming heart. :)

Malorian, you have toooooooooo much time on your hands!!! :D

Peril
03-08-2010, 18:19
Imma give this a go this month.

Malorian
03-08-2010, 18:31
Good to have you join Peril :)

Djekar
06-08-2010, 17:09
I should be able to complete the tower scenario this month. The challange? We need another tower! Modelling - HOOOOO!