PDA

View Full Version : First 8ed Game with Ogres

Cpt. Drill
22-06-2010, 23:16
I just played my first eighth edition game with my old Ogre army. It was a 2000pts game againt Orcs and Gobbos.

I took

Tyrant

2x Butchers

2x 6 bulls with standards
1x 8 Iron guts
1x 8 Trappers

2x 2 leadbelchers
1x Scrap launcher

1x gorger

He had (hmmm....I kind of remember)

Lord
lv3 Shaman
BSB
2x 30 Orcs
2x 30 Goblins
2x 5 spider riders
1x Chariot
2x Spear Chukkers
1x Giant

8th ed
We just played a pitched battle so we could learn the rules rather than bothering with a scenario. I really enjoyed the new rules, the random chargers and stubborn ranked infantry were much more entertaining. Very little of his army actually ran away (Apart from his giant) it was nice to see them dying in combat rather than just removing big blocks of inf to panic.

The new magic was strange... It is nice but as niether of us really were playing magic heavy armies it didnt effect it to much. My butchers that were with the bulls got stuck in combats for alot of the game and didnt have much of a chance to cast spells.

Ogres in 8th ed
Ogres really get a big boost in 8th ed. I played ogres alot when they first came out and basically ran with MSU's all over the place to an average degree of success. This time I just put all my ogres into units together and it worked really nicely. My 6 Ogre bulls units went toe to toe with 30 strong orc units and consistantly won the combat by a few each time. The Orcs managed to hold thanks to their ranked stubborn and the BSB. Although the ogres weaken after every round of combat they can really dish out some pain. Two ranks is definatly the way to go. Six is the new Three

My 8strong Ironguts with the tyrant in tow fought his main 30 strong Orc blob featuring a BSB and his warboss. Iron guts rule in big units as they double their potential attacks from the previous versions and getting to stomp they can amass quite a combat res. Striking last can be upsetting but when you have 8 ogres losing one isnt as bad as it was when you only had 3 ogres to win a fight.

The Gut Magic changes are strange in the new one. No longer can you really cast spells on 1 dice as you risk ending a butchers magic phase on a fail. In turn I found I was really getting off more spells as when you have alot of power dice you are more willing to throw 2-3 dice at a 3+ spell (Maybe as I only had three units I really needed to cast on instead of nine made a differece too).

Overall 8th ed is great! I wont actively avoide playing Brets now like I did before as ogres losing was a foregone conclusion. I think my warhammer passion has been revived by 8th ed. I loved everything I have seen so far.

Toshiro
22-06-2010, 23:24
Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to get a 8th ed game in myself! :D

Urgat
22-06-2010, 23:30
Sounds good. My poor ogres need some love.

AMChiker
22-06-2010, 23:43
This sounds like great news for ogres :D
Did you win the battle? and if so, by how much? I'm going to play my first 8th ed game with ogres tomarrow, so any tips or tactics you found useful so far with 8th ed?

Seth the Dark
23-06-2010, 00:16
Sounds great! I would love to see more Ogre armies out there!

Cpt. Drill
23-06-2010, 00:17
I did win the game!

I pobably had about 1500Vp's inlcuding killing his general (With my general HA!) and 5 standards. I cant have lost more than 500pts of ogres, Just my leadbelchers really and a couple from combat.

Tactics wise.... I dont know. Before I played MSU ogres but this time having some actual combat capable units I basically just pointed them at his blocks of infantry and he couldnt really dodge them (Or didnt want to) then I charged or got charged.

What army are you fighting?

AMChiker
23-06-2010, 01:06
I'm gonna be fighting skaven with 2 plague furnaces, and maybe an abomination.
I havn't been able to beat em yet, but maybe with the positive changes for ogres in 8th, I'll be at less of a disadvantage.

TheSanityAssassin
23-06-2010, 05:42
Definitely sounds good for the big grey lads. I'm actually quite scared of a unit of 8 Ironguts now, that will dish out an absurd amount of pain!

Ultimate Life Form
23-06-2010, 05:44
I hate Ogres but I'm glad to hear they got such a massive boost as no one deserves an unplayable army.

LeSquide
23-06-2010, 06:10
I hate Ogres but I'm glad to hear they got such a massive boost as no one deserves an unplayable army.

Why do you hate ogres?

Punjoke
23-06-2010, 06:21
8th Edition has got me sort of interested in Ogre Kingdoms, I have to admit. I'm really tempted to start them up, but they're so expensive for the amount of models that you get that it's putting me off.

Gorak
23-06-2010, 07:13
8th Edition has got me sort of interested in Ogre Kingdoms, I have to admit. I'm really tempted to start them up, but they're so expensive for the amount of models that you get that it's putting me off.

not true! You can have a very good 2000pt army with two battlions and a tyrant model( personal for butcher I made them from the plastics, chop an ear off, add a cleaver for a hand extra meaty bitz and bam!) Glad to hear the maw finaly getting it's just deserts!

minionboy
23-06-2010, 07:16

Ogre battalion contains 38 models for $90.

Beastman battalion contains 40 models for $90.

I wouldn't say that's so bad really.

Ultimate Life Form
23-06-2010, 07:16
Why do you hate ogres?

Stupid fat cavemen were never to my liking; I try avoiding the type.

Gorak
23-06-2010, 07:25
you don't have to take them to dinner......oh wait YOU ARE DINNER! All joking aside I love the ogres and will be doing one for my "good" army.(and to ally with my WoC and DoC)

minionboy
23-06-2010, 07:32
you don't have to take them to dinner......oh wait YOU ARE DINNER! All joking aside I love the ogres and will be doing one for my "good" army.(and to ally with my WoC and DoC)

I personally think they're less good and more hungry. They'll eat just about anything/anyone that looks tasty.

shelfunit.
23-06-2010, 07:47
not true! You can have a very good 2000pt army with two battlions and a tyrant model( personal for butcher I made them from the plastics, chop an ear off, add a cleaver for a hand extra meaty bitz and bam!) Glad to hear the maw finaly getting it's just deserts!

Ogre battalion contains 38 models for $90.

Beastman battalion contains 40 models for $90.

I wouldn't say that's so bad really.

This. I was going to say Ogres are about the best value for money army you can buy (until they get repackaged and cost twice as much...). I read some where that buying iron guts is the way forward - you get the same as the bull set + a load of extras to build the iron guts at the same price?

Punjoke
23-06-2010, 07:47
Wow, you know what? I honestly completely forgot that battalions existed while I was pricing a potential army. I feel like an idiot, but thanks, I think I'll get a small OK army started next month!

Only problem is, I don't really care for gnoblars...

darkstar
23-06-2010, 09:49
This. I was going to say Ogres are about the best value for money army you can buy (until they get repackaged and cost twice as much...). I read some where that buying iron guts is the way forward - you get the same as the bull set + a load of extras to build the iron guts at the same price?
Not really. The bulls kit has six ogres, the ironguts have four. Wait a minute, that means you get a decent unit in a box of Bulls. Hmmm.

CrownAxe
23-06-2010, 09:57

Your losing two ogres for the bitz spruees to make Iron Guts

minionboy
23-06-2010, 10:22
Wow, you know what? I honestly completely forgot that battalions existed while I was pricing a potential army. I feel like an idiot, but thanks, I think I'll get a small OK army started next month!

Only problem is, I don't really care for gnoblars...

I'd get 2 Battalions and assemble them like this:

2x6 Bulls
2x6 Ironguts
2x2 Lead Belchers

If you give them full command, your gut sprue can cover a full unit of 6. So with this set up, you're basically sacrificing 4 Leadbelchers for 4 more Ironguts. You will also have an untouched Leadbelcher sprue left over, so if you wanted, you could pick up 1 more box of Bulls, assemble 4 as lead belchers and convert 2 to butchers!

If you do all that and get a tyrant, you're already over a 2k point army!

Farseer Ethilanwe
23-06-2010, 10:43
8th ed is awesome :)
I have played 3 games so far, 2 games at 1500 pts running my list as:
The masque
Herald of Slaanesh
Herald of Khorne
10 Bloodletters
10 Daemonettes
10 Plaguebearers
5 Seekers
6 Flesh Hounds
6 Flamers

and 1000pts:
The masque
Herald of slaanesh
10 Bloodletters
10 Daemonettes
6 Flamers
6 Flesh hounds

my first game at 1500pts against empire (he had a level 4 wizard with lore of beasts) and i massacred him in 4 turns, but we both had a great time learning the new rules and he managed to turn his level 4 wizard managed to turn himself in to a fire dragon using the lore of beasts who rampaged around the board for 3 turns until i dispelled his fire dragon thing and killed his mage, turned out as i killed his whole army in 5 turns and managed to lose very little :)

second game was at 1000pts against the same guys beasts of chaos (with a unit of 6 minotaurs and 2 minotaur characters and a few units of ungor raiders) i massacred him again, but in only 4 turns this time, i love daemonettes with a herald in them, asf and higher initiative is amazing :)

third game was at 1500pts again, against warriors of chaos (2 units of 12 warriors, one with great weapons, one with halberds and one unit of warriors with hand weapon shield, 3 characters, lord of chaos, sorcerer and a combat hero) i massacred him in 6 turns... his lord did incredibly well, killing off all my flamers, all my plaguebearers and the masque in only 3 turns of combat :( but i destroyed his whole army for the loss of them and half of my flesh hounds.

So, all in all daemons at 8th ed are amazingly disgusting and even cheesier than they were before :)
8th edition has turned from what i thought when i heard rumours was awful into a really good re incarnation of the game, and im not just saying that because im winning, all my opponents had really good fun with the new rules and we all have had a taste of what its like to play them :)

Cheers
Matt

shelfunit.
23-06-2010, 11:12
Not really. The bulls kit has six ogres, the ironguts have four. Wait a minute, that means you get a decent unit in a box of Bulls. Hmmm.

Your losing two ogres for the bitz spruees to make Iron Guts

Dagnam it! Thought it sonded too good to be true...

biadetic
23-06-2010, 11:16
Dont care for gnoblars? I think they've got a great role now. With magic being so crazy, you should deffo be taking the Runemaw Banner. And what better to re-direct that awesome spell targeted at your tyrants unit to, than a nice block of gnoblars trailing behind :P

Of course you'll have to figure how to keep with the runemaw banner unit... but alas....i dont know what else to say :P

Phelix
23-06-2010, 11:18
Now I get to pick up my ogres again since 6th edition! huzzah!

WarmbloodedLizard
23-06-2010, 17:44
you can build extremely cheap ogre armies from just Bulls, BfSP Goblins and some bits :D