Skaven
Grey Seer- ward save
Assassin- Terrifying Mask of Eee! (causes terror), tail attack, frenzy sword
50 or so Clanrats- spears/shields, full command (10x5), Plague Mortar
30 Night Runners- 2 Hand Weapons, Throwing Stars, Slings, Warp Grinder
4 Rat Ogres- one upgraded to Master bred, 1 normal beastmaster and Skweel
Plague Claw Catapult

Spells-
I decided to randomize my Lore, and got all of Fire for the Slann. Skaven got Withering, Vermintide, Plague and Skitterleap. He swapped Skitterleap for The Dreaded 13th!

We had a very basic table setup. 1 hill in a corner each, one forest either side in the middle.

We deployed-
PCC PWMortar
Rogres Clanrats w/Seer

forest forest

Skinks Temple Guard Saurus Skinks Sallies
w/Slann w/SVet

For deploying Scouts, I won the roll and deployed outside 12" on the flank of the Clanrats. He opted to deploy his Assassin in his zone, about 2" off my Chameleons. There was much swearing.

Turn rolloff- Lizardmen Turn 1.
Army moves up and keeps out of Rogre charge range, but in for 24" spells on most targets. Chameleons jump around the side of the assassin hoping to prevent charge (but then we discovered we couldn't find if lone characters had an arc of charge :S)

Magic- 10 dice for me, 5 for him. Slann chucked 4 dice +1 for rumination into the scaled up Fireball for the catapult... And with much roaring and summoning of power... Rolled a total of 12 on 5 dice, +4 for his Lvl only made 16... The spell needed 18. Magic phase over. Wtf.

Shooting- Only the Chameleons were in, so they shot 12 full shots into the Assassin's face. Hit ONCE, no wound.

(it is also important to note that at this time my opponent remembered his tunnel marker he had to place during deployment... and placed it directly behind my inf regiments :/)

Skaven Turn 1-
A similar shuffling about to get into max charge ranges to try and draw but not give the charge. Assassin charged Chameleons.

Magic- 9 dice for him, 5 for me. My opponent grabs 5 dice and shouts out 'THE DREADED THIRTEENTH!'... and rolls less than the casting value. Magic Phase over. Wtf.

Shooting- A plagueclaw shot misses my saurus and kills 5 skinks. The mortar smack on target and drops 4 Saurus.

Combat- Assassin rolls up 5 odd attacks, rerolling misses... And kills 2 of 6 Chameleons. The remaining 4 beat him to death with the butts of their blowpipes. (5+ to hit, 5+ to wound, 4+ ward :D)

L Turn 2-
Skink units move into range for shooting, Chameleons line up shots on the Mortar, Salamanders line up some sweet shots down the flank of the Clanrat unit (Note- as there is no FAQ, we are playing straight by army book rules... Therefore my Sallies have skirmishers and may march + shoot :D). Saurus attempt a chage and fail.

Magic- Fire cage is stopped. Flaming Sword goes off on Saurus. Fiery Bolts claims a few Clanrats.

Shooting- 2 Salamander shots wipe out over half the Clanrats :D. Skinks drop a Rogre and the normal beastmaster. Mortar goes down to blowdarts.

No combat.

Skaven Turn 2-
Tunnelers arrive behind my regiments. Rogres charge front of Temple Guard, Night Runners charge the rear. Clanrats charge the front of Saurus, Warpgrinder charge the rear.

Magic- He rolls 6 power dice. Chucks 5 at Withering on my Temple Guard and rolls IF. I can't stop the spell, and it isn't a RIP so it is completely unstoppable now ;-; His Seer takes a S6 hit and loses D6 power dice (he has 1 remaining).

Shooting- Catapult takes 5 skinks from the other unit.

Combat- Clanrat champ declares challenge and dies 3 times to my I10 Scar Vet. He drops 1 or 2 saurus, and I wipe out about 10. Both units flee, I chase and destroy the Seer's unit.

Rogres + Night Runners both beat me for I, and tear my unit to bits. However, still about 9 or so models + Slann. Stubborn Ld10 with rerolls using 3D6 :D I go nowhere.

L Turn 3- Saurus move around to set up rear charge on Rogres. Skinks all run over to Catapult.

Magic- Flaming Sword stopped on temple guard. Fiery Cloak goes off and so does Fire Cage. Another Rogre dies and 8 or so Night Runners.

Shooting- Catapult falls to massed poison.

Combat- I get wailed on some more but hang in there.

Skaven Turn 3-
No moving, magic or shooting.

Combat- Kills off the remaining Temple Guard... At the end of combat, Slann is on 1 wound and flees, and is caught by Skweel (who by this time is the only model left in his unit). Night Runners hold to avoid Fire Caging.

Lizard Turn 4-
Saurus charge Night Runners. All skinks and Salamanders move up to rain death on Skweel.

No magic.

Skweel dies horribly to shooting.

Combat- Scar Vet again destroys a champ in Challenge. Unit takes one or two casualties but slaps the Night Runners and breaks them.

Game over.

Afterthoughts.
It was heaps fun and much more brutal than 7th Ed was. Being able to fight regardless of your front rank being wiped out really makes units like Saurus great. Also, fighting 2 horde formations... God I hate those things... But just showed how much damage Salamanders and templates could do.

Magic, what the hell? 2 of the greatest wizards in WFB and they both chumped their first spells. >_>

And how bout those Chameleons :D

Thanks for reading

Once Bitten
23-06-2010, 01:15
Thanks for the report. I was curious how 8th edition rules (especially magic) would make the game. It sounds good, so far. :)

TheSanityAssassin
23-06-2010, 02:22
Kinda shocked the big casters didn't nuke themselves...all in all a good read though.

SevenSins
23-06-2010, 06:43
nice rep, looking forward to getting my grubby mittens on the new rules
That assassin was amusing, gets shot by a cloud of darts and salamander fire, and then gets beaten to death by skinks haha

Heimagoblin
23-06-2010, 06:51
Cool report but 2 things that are bothering me.
1) I'm fairly sure warmachines are now immune to poison.
2)Why did everyone try yo cast there biggest spell first?

Once Bitten
23-06-2010, 11:51
Because once you fail to cast a spell, the magic phase is over for that caster. If there is a big spell you want to cast, you'd better try it first.

Paraelix
23-06-2010, 13:19
Cool report but 2 things that are bothering me.
1) I'm fairly sure warmachines are now immune to poison.
2)Why did everyone try yo cast there biggest spell first?

1) We're still slowly pawing our way through the rules... We spent 10 minutes looking for Arc of Sight for Lone Characters and found nothing >_> So sometimes we just ran with it.

2) I threw 4 dice at it out of 11, and it was an attempt to draw dispel... I actually wanted to get other spells off but had to make the threat credible.

Malorian
23-06-2010, 13:47
I was really looknig forward to seeing that clanrat horde in action but those salamanders made quick work of it.

It's really looking like those temple guard blocks are going to be going down a lot faster than before now that they are forced to use halberds, so with than and the change to look out sir temple guard might be the wrong place to keep slann (better to stay away and be ethereal).

Also though it was crazy that he charged your spear saurus. Bad move and he paid for it.

Thanks for the report :)

Paraelix
23-06-2010, 14:05
Also though it was crazy that he charged your spear saurus. Bad move and he paid for it.

It was a game purely for fun and to test out the rules... Most of the game here and the new one posted involved a "Why don't we try this?" approach.

Spinocus
24-06-2010, 15:41
I was really looknig forward to seeing that clanrat horde in action but those salamanders made quick work of it.

It's really looking like those temple guard blocks are going to be going down a lot faster than before now that they are forced to use halberds, so with than and the change to look out sir temple guard might be the wrong place to keep slann (better to stay away and be ethereal).

Yeah but keep in mind the TG got nailed with an IF cast of Wither before combat began, taking them down to T3. Any Dwarf will tell you there's a world of difference between T3 and T4... ;)

Those T3 TG were also hit in the rear by Night Runners and a Skweel boosted unit of Rat Ogres, that's nothing to sneeze at in 8th. Skweel makes any Giant Rat or Rat Ogre unit he joins a force to be reckoned with (as if ROs were bad enough in 8th). I wonder if Paraelix remembers what mutation Skweel gave those ROs for the battle; Extra attacks, Poison attacks or Regen? Regen would make those ROs a serious problem for any elite troops.

I can't believe Paraelix's opponent took 30 Night Runners and no Slaves! 20-25 Night Runners is enough. Trading in 10 Night Runners could have gotten him a unit of 20-25 Slaves w/Musician and change left over for other stuff. The extra bodies would have been invaluable in this battle.

Paraelix, thanks for the Batrep!

Paraelix
24-06-2010, 20:06
The Rat Ogres has Regen, but I was using a 10pt banner on the TG which granted Flaming attacks :D

And my opponent didn't take slaves because he was using only models he had, it was a mishmash of his old skaven army (Throt and Skweel Rogres list) and his new one (more Horde-ish), AND he changed his list to include a Seer at the last second when he found out I had a Slann. Plus, purely a fun, learning the rules game.