PDA

View Full Version : Two 8th edition lists, two concepts

Sygerrik
23-06-2010, 04:09
I play Skaven, and I'm going to have my first game of 8th edition sometime soon. I have two concepts. This first is very similar to a 7th edition list:

Lords
Grey Seer
Screaming Bell
Magic Items, 60 points' worth

Heroes
Plague Priest
Level 2
Furnace
50 points of magic items

Chieftain
BSB
15 points of magic items

Warlock Engineer
Doomrocket

Core
30 Clanrats
Spears
Doom-Flayer
Full command

20 Slaves
Musician
Slings
Total

20 Slaves
Musician
Slings

30 Stormvermin
FC
Magic Banner
Poisoned Wind Mortar

Special
30 Plague Monks
FC

Rare
Hell Pit Abomination

Doomwheel

This totals roughly 2250 points. The plan here is to anchor the line with two towers and use them as anvils for the Doomwheel and Abomination. The slaves are 10 x 2, throwing 40 sling stones per turn. This is a more grinding attrition-based list that wears enemies down with magic and war machine fire (including the Doomrocket) while peppering lighter flankers with slings, before slamming in with the Flayer, Abom and Doomwheel. I haven't set the items in stone because I haven't solidly decided on what to take (aside from the Doomrocket), I need to have a look at the items in the BRB again.

The second list is far more nontraditional, but I think is better tailored to the new 8th edition environment.

Warlord
Bonebreaker
95 points of items

Warlord
Bonebreaker
95 points of items

Chieftain
BSB
Storm Banner

Warlock Engineer
Level 2
50 points of magic items

Plague Priest
Level 2
50 points of items

30 Clanrats
Spears
Full Command
Doom-Flayer

30 Stormvermin
Full Command
Poisoned Wind Mortar

5 Rat Ogres
2 Packmasters
Skweel Gnawtooth

5 Rat Ogres
2 Packmasters

This is roughly 2000 points. In this case, the Warlords each take hefty combat gear, like the WS10 swords or the +3 Strength weapon, and some protection. Each joins a Rat Ogre block and they form the hammers. A block of five Rat Ogres with a Bonebreaker is throwing 23 S5 attacks plus whatever the Warlord's got, plus Packmaster attacks and Skweel's. And that's assuming Skweel doesn't roll +1A! They also test to avoid charging from Frenzy on Ld 8, and test Stupidity on the same once Packmasters are dead, and can reroll that if they are near to the BSB. The Plague Priest will kit out for combat as well and join the Stormvermin; with him, that block becomes fairly nasty. At I5 and throwing 12+ attacks at 6 wide, they can dish out a serious beating. The Warlock Engineer will kit out for casting, probably with a Warpstone Token and a Doomrocket. I'm going to hope for Death Frenzy to turn my Stormvermin into a blender.