PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen 2250 - First 8th Ed. Campaign

Sloppyjayman
23-06-2010, 12:57
My local games workshop is running an 8th Edition campaign to start learning the new rules. My goal is to have fun. I don't want to play a cheese list but I do want to run a competitive list. I also like my lists to be well rounded. All comments are appreciated.

Core: 33%

20 Saurus Warriors with Spears, Champion, Standard
20 Saurus Warriors with Spears, Champion, Standard
10 skinks with blowdarts
10 skinks with blowdarts
10 skinks with blowdarts

Special: 35%

3 Terradons
3 Stegadons

Rare: 14%

1 Salamander with extra handler
1 Salamander with extra handler
1 Razordons with extra handler
1 Razordons with extra handler

Heroes: 0%

Lords: 18%

Slann Mage
Ethereal
+1 PD per spell thing
Cupped Hand
BSB

List of Opponents:
Dark Elves
Dwarfs
Wood Elves
High Elves
Beast of Chaos X2

Pete_x
23-06-2010, 13:16
remove the razordon and double the number of salamander in each unit. Pretty sure Salamanders are much better then razordon

Agnar the Howler
23-06-2010, 13:25
I'd be tempted to drop Higher State of Consciousness in favour of the divine plaque of protection. Both High Elves and dwarves can have magical ranged attacks, which will take your Slann down fast; the other armies i'm not sure about, but a 2+ ward save against ALL (note, ALL) ranged attacks is well worth the points you pay for it.

I'm also gunna suggest finding points for focus of mystery unless you're sure you'll be able to do well by rolling for spells, you can do this by dropping a razordon (and maybe making the other razordon a sally, as their templates got a whole lot deadlier in 8th).

blackjack
23-06-2010, 16:03
I am pretty sure your rare is illegal, only 3 spechial and 2 rare at under 3k in 8th.

also doubleing up on your sallies is better in any case. with the new rules being all about big blocks you will find sallies rock.

Also you must specify the lore your mages are using in the army writeup now.

g0ddy
23-06-2010, 16:19
blackjack - youre allowed 2 of EACH rare unit.. and 3 of EACH special unit.. the old "slot" system is gone.

Im going to 2nd the suggestion on the slann... any army that can take Fire or Metal magic has access to buff spells that give units magical attacks.

~ Zilla

Vsurma
23-06-2010, 19:14
I'd be tempted to drop Higher State of Consciousness in favour of the divine plaque of protection. Both High Elves and dwarves can have magical ranged attacks, which will take your Slann down fast; the other armies i'm not sure about, but a 2+ ward save against ALL (note, ALL) ranged attacks is well worth the points you pay for it.

I'm also gunna suggest finding points for focus of mystery unless you're sure you'll be able to do well by rolling for spells, you can do this by dropping a razordon (and maybe making the other razordon a sally, as their templates got a whole lot deadlier in 8th).

Well, ethereal makes you immune to CC attacks as well.
A 2+ ward vs shooting is just that, only against shooting, at T4 4+ ward the slann dies easily in CC.

With ethereal nothing can harm it. If its flaming cannons your worried about then take the 2+ ward vs flaming item (its 5pts!)

With the bsb you can win combats with the slann :)

Agnar the Howler
23-06-2010, 19:51
Well, ethereal makes you immune to CC attacks as well.
A 2+ ward vs shooting is just that, only against shooting, at T4 4+ ward the slann dies easily in CC.

Don't let him get into CC? He shouldn't be anywhere near combat in the first place unless he's encased in a Temple Guard unit; budding chargers should be slammed with magic or intercepted by your other units. The only things I can see being a problem are Heroes/Lords, which generally come equipped with a magic weapon anyway.

Either way, i'd rather pay 30pts for a 2+ ward against all ranged attacks (not just shooting) than 50pts for immunity to all mundane attacks, just to find out that I didn't need immunityto half of those attacks because I either never experienced them or got ripped apart because I only got attacked a unit that used magical attacks.

Vsurma
23-06-2010, 20:24
Charge distances are in many cases longer, light cav get a free 12" move pre-game.. true line of sight allows flyers easy reign.

Many spells are still 24" range which tends to put you in danger.

Also since the slann is target-able with spells, it can and will take wounds from magic, eventually dropping to 1-2 wounds, at which point even a 2+ save doesn't seem that safe.

The shield does help it against magic missiles though.

Well its a trade off, safety vs ranged attacks or vs all normal non magical ones.

Fire lore gives only fire attacks so the 2+ ward vs fire for 5pts is pretty sweet there. I don't think a lot will threaten it with that item and ethereal, though they are more expensive.

I played a game at a tournament recently and I managed to get my skinks to flank charge a slann, it was ethereal so I could do no damage but flank and outnumber was enough for the win.

The same is true in 8th, flank + charge = win.
rear is worse, and this is before any wounds, even skinks are likely to put 1 wound onto a slann these days.

In my game the slann was stuck in combat for a couple of turns before his army can to save him and still they couldn't stop my rear charge form a skrox unit a turn later.

I don't think it is that hard to tie up a slann, normally the slann wants to target specific units, not just whatever is closest. It still autoloses most combats.

BSB/warbanner would help here though, frontal charging enemies would lose on the charge, flankers the following turn after a reform.

Gaargod
24-06-2010, 00:18
Slann are ridiculously tough. They only really fear being run over due to massive static combat res, getting stuck in combat versus something killy for a long time, multi-wound weapons (because eventually, something always gets through) or annoying instant death effects. Stick them in TG, and the first 2 problems go away (ish).

Even if you're running him alone, something like lore of fire is not a major issue. It takes 4 hits to cause a wound on average - if you're letting your slann get hit so many times it can be served for frogs legs, you're doing something wrong. Something like Pit of shades/penumbral/purple sun/dwellers... they're the real problem spells as they effectively say 'roll a dice. Roll badly, die'

Paraelix
24-06-2010, 02:59
remove the razordon and double the number of salamander in each unit. Pretty sure Salamanders are much better then razordon

Definitely this.

List of Opponents:
Dark Elves
Dwarfs
Wood Elves
High Elves
Beast of Chaos X2
All the armies you will be facing will likely be fielding larger units (so the no partials helps) or units that can't afford many casualties (where the -3 sv helps).

EDIT- My other thought would be to drop the Cupped Hands in favour of a Magic Carpet to give you more manouverability.

Romulus68
24-06-2010, 16:48
Since you have too many rare choices. Reduce the rare choices and pick up Temple Guard.

Take one of the Steg's (one less special) and make an EoG.
or
Take one hero with a Steg mount. (reduces special choice).

Agnar the Howler
25-06-2010, 12:26
Since you have too many rare choices. Reduce the rare choices and pick up Temple Guard.

Take one of the Steg's (one less special) and make an EoG.
or
Take one hero with a Steg mount. (reduces special choice).

His rare choices are completely legal...