PDA

View Full Version : New Starter - Which Army Are You Keeping?

Souleater
23-06-2010, 14:35
Simple really, if you are buying the new starter are you going to keep one or both armies?

Sygerrik
23-06-2010, 14:53
Gonna give HE to my girlfriend. She likes pretty armies, maybe this'll finally get her to play instead of just paint.

Not that I mind having a paint assistant, especially one that's so much better than me...

BigbyWolf
23-06-2010, 14:54
None of the above. I'll just end up binning them like the ones I got from my last starter set. Only really want the wee book and extra dice/ templates anyway.

Hunter13
23-06-2010, 14:54
I'm just getting into fantasy with HE so those are definitely keepers, and I like the skaven for painting and possibly a second army. If I buy a second box then I'll probably trade/sell the skaven there. Too early to tell though.

Hrogoff the Destructor
23-06-2010, 14:55
Just the High Elves. My main rival gets the Skaven.

Rabid Bunny 666
23-06-2010, 14:58
None of the above. I'll just end up binning them like the ones I got from my last starter set. Only really want the wee book and extra dice/ templates anyway.

Really? I'd gladly take the Skaven off you if you're just going to bin them, seems like a waste to me.

As you can see from above, Skaven. I plan on buying two boxes (depending on the final price) and either selling the High Elves or swapping them for Skaven from another box, which would let me get a massive amount of the buggers to use.

grumbaki
23-06-2010, 15:02
Probably high elves, if I get the box. Then I hope to trade the skaven for more elves. And perhaps with some old skaven models I have lying around (old doomwheel, plague priest, old deathmaster snitch, warpfire thrower, assassin, 2 chieftains and some metal gutter runners and plague priests) I can trade for a second batch of high elves. With two boxes of them, I might actually have the start for a good army.

RanaldLoec
23-06-2010, 15:09
Ebay for the skaven I may keep the high elves but my wood elves get a bit grumpy around other elves

indytims
23-06-2010, 15:10
I'll be buying a couple boxes, mainly to bulk-up my Skaven army, and to get myself one of the mini-rulebooks.

I'll sell the high-elves to friends/locals/ebay.

Lars Porsenna
23-06-2010, 15:20
Already made a deal with a friend to exchange parts. I have been collecting HE since 4th Edition (really 3rd, since I bought 2 "ready-made" regiments of not-Melniboneans when GW would stuff 16 metal figures into a clamshell blister -- I still have those figures somewhere), so the choice is natural for me. He collects skaven, and the deal has been made...

Damon.

loveless
23-06-2010, 15:22
I'll probably keep the entirety of one box, may split another to get more Skaven. It depends on the sculpts and such.

Pacorko
23-06-2010, 15:34
Loveless, Bigbywolf, Indytims: if and when you decide to part with the respective High Elves in your split boxes, please let me know.

I'll take them for a fair price.

Me, I'm keeping both armies as I already play Skaven and one can never have enough servants, and will finally start with High Elves... unless they be awful models--which means they would basically be the same as they are now. Mind, I do believe that to be highly unlikely an occurance.

twistinthunder
23-06-2010, 15:36
if i like the look of the high elves included i may grab a box or two and trade out the skaven though i may try to get someone in my family to actually play aswell so i can make an excuse to build a board.

Souleater
23-06-2010, 15:56
I myself will be keeping Skaven. Loved the concept of the army but not the models until the new ones.

High Elves...bleugh...concept and models. Although they might be useful for Zombies in an undead Dark Elf army :D

Pacorko
23-06-2010, 15:59
As above: if you have no luck converting anyone into WHFB, then I'll take your Skaven, twistinthunder! Im just a PM away and I'm saving money for the September Crunch.

Agnar the Howler
23-06-2010, 16:02
If anything, i'll only get it for the rulebook and the re-sale value of the models so i can get some money back. I'll likely flog the sprues locally as I can't be arsed with postage etc.

chilledenuff
23-06-2010, 16:29
I'll keep both, skaven because they are cool, high elves so that there are less of the models out there to face me :D

tezdal
23-06-2010, 16:30
Neither, I'm not buying it, but I might pick up some discount Skull passes if I see em.

langolas
23-06-2010, 16:31
If I get the boxed set it will be strictly for the rule book. Depending on cost I'll probably just see about picking up the rulebook on Ebay. If I do pick it up I'll sell/trade both forces to other players looking to bolster existing forces.

Alathir
23-06-2010, 16:42
I've been playing High Elves for three years and started Skaven just as the new book came out. This new starter set is a dream come true for me and it will be perfect to bulk out both my existing armies. I plan on buying two of the things!

bluemage
23-06-2010, 16:51
The starter set is such a cheap way of starting or expanding armies, I'll buy two of them to start. Maybe more if my friends just want to the rule books. If you do the math, its around $300 dollars of models if you buy them with the regiment boxes.

Makoto00
23-06-2010, 16:54
HE will be my first fantasy army. I will probably trade someone the skaven for more HE.

matticusmaximus
23-06-2010, 16:57
I've been playing skaven since the dawn of 6th and my friend recently started an HE army, so I think we'll go 50/50 on two boxes, so we each get a mini-book and a solid set of reinforcements

Galatan
23-06-2010, 16:58
Even though I have no idea what the skaven content will be (and it seems they haven't been mentioned either AFAIK) I'll probably trade the HE with somebody in my club. Also if the box is a good deal and the skaven sculpts look really good, I'll probably buy another box.

jullevi
23-06-2010, 17:27
I will probable buy one box and keep all the contents. I have no interest in starting or playing neither of the armies but I might paint some of the models just for fun. I already have too many army projects in the pipeline.

Ultimate Life Form
23-06-2010, 17:44
Both. :cheese:

Anvilbrow
23-06-2010, 19:49
Both. And I'll be getting at least two starter sets, maybe three...

Odin
23-06-2010, 19:56
Neither. All I want is the rulebook, will put the rest on eBay. Or I'll try and buy the book on eBay.

madden
23-06-2010, 21:44
Both and I'll get 2 and trade one lot of skaven as I just finished a 2500pt skaven army but as said more slaves are always welcome and the elves will be a change as my only"good" army is dwarfs so a new and fragile one will be a challenge, so all in all looking good but expencive September.

Halelel
24-06-2010, 03:34
It depends on the models, but I think they will probably be decent and better than the Skull Pass ones.

Personally, I'll be buying one starter box for the rule book, models, and whatnot. Than I'll buy or trade for a pair of Skaven sets seperately. That will give a solid starting core, a couple of warmachines, and special units. Heck, even the rat ogres will be useful in 8th edition it seems.

The High Elf starter seems decent, but I don't think it is good value to get multiple sets of. I could see using more seaguard and swordmasters, but the additional griffon and reavers would probably go to waste.

Anvilbrow
24-06-2010, 06:20
An extra unit of reavers isn't useful? For me, yes. And the extra griffon will become a mount for my Empire General (hopefully with very little conversion work necessary).

someone2040
24-06-2010, 06:26
High Elves are likely to be kept. Especially since there's not a lot of them to paint, and they're sure to be pretty.
Skaven maybe they'll sit around, maybe I'll sell them off. None of the models in the starter interest me as I'd only want to do an Eshin themed Skaven army.

Vsurma
24-06-2010, 06:41
Where is the option for neither?

I am just getting the rulebook

HeroFox
24-06-2010, 06:44
Will be splitting 4 boxes with a bunch of rats :P

dragonet111
24-06-2010, 06:46
Well I think for me it's not if but when. I want the books and none of the armies. We are going to buy it with my friends and share everything:D.
The High Elf for a friend who wants to upgrade his army.
The skavens as a starter army for another one, and the books for.

Desert Rain
24-06-2010, 08:10
I'll keep the High Elves since they are the army that I play. I'll try to sell or trade away the Skaven models.

Symrivven
24-06-2010, 08:18
I'm actually only interested in the a5 rule book, the 40k one works so well.

I don't see much use for skaven and He when I play DE VC and lizardman.
Btw at some point there was a rumour that there would be several starter sets, I'm guessing it has been debunked by now, can someone confirm that?

Vampiric16
24-06-2010, 10:38
I may keep the forces to paint up for fun as I did with the Dwarfs from the last set, or I might use them for conversions. I'm sure my night gobbos can make use of any bolt throwers or skaven contraptions included in the box :)

hwd
24-06-2010, 11:36
New answer: Neither!

I intend to buy the starter set and sell of all the models. Really i'm just after the mini-rulebook so I can have a rule set that I can carry without screwing up my back...

darkstar
24-06-2010, 11:38
Probably the Hight Elves, although that depends. I already have high elves, but I'm waiting to see if the average game size increases.

harthag12
24-06-2010, 11:45
Both, likely buying 3 boxes to flesh out my HE and start a skaven.

Crovax20
24-06-2010, 12:10
There is a remote chance I will hold onto the high elves. But I am pretty sure I will be selling both of em and just keep the other contents.