PDA

View Full Version : Magic hat... who would you give it to?

Malorian
23-06-2010, 19:06
So with this crazy new magic item who do you think is the best character to give it to?

An ogre tyrant with mawseeker so he's stupid anyway?

Thoughts?

Ultimate Life Form
23-06-2010, 19:14
I'm thinking Oldblood as he's still fighty enough to stand his ground and stupidity is mitigated by Ld8 Coldblooded. New competition for the Slann! :evilgrin: What about your tinfoil hat order or what it was called?

Or you could just put him on Cold One if that's possible so stupidity isn't a drawback (more than it would be anyway).

Malorian
23-06-2010, 19:20
I'm thinking Oldblood as he's still fighty enough to stand his ground and stupidity is mitigated by Ld8 Coldblooded. New competition for the Slann! :evilgrin: What about your tinfoil hat order or what it was called?

You sir, are brilliant...

I am soooo going to do that :D

Ultimate Life Form
23-06-2010, 19:23
You sir, are brilliant...

I knew it all along... :shifty:

MrSatan
23-06-2010, 19:25
What does this new hat do exactly?

Malorian
23-06-2010, 19:26
You become a lvl 2 wizard of a random lore and have stupidity.

Nighthawke
23-06-2010, 19:45
isnt it also 100 points or something? :/ bit steep, cant see ill ever use it unless i give it to a night goblinboss for a laugh

Vsurma
23-06-2010, 19:55
Seeing as you get a random brb lore, I would say perhaps the most benefit from this item comes to a race that cannot access these lores.

Granted with the stupidity you will really want ld9 or better.

I am not sure it's worth paying all those points for a lord with hat just to spend a few turns each game sitting around.

Ogre tyrant seems like a fun place for sure, though I don't think it is really a serious choice for anyone. If you could choose your lore then it would be a tad nicer.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
23-06-2010, 20:23
If only you could give it to a dwarf lord...

It has to be given to goblin warboss, that would just be funny.

Nixon

Melchor
23-06-2010, 20:27
A bit offtopic but it sounds a bit like a more generic Crown of Sorcery like the one found on Azhag.

Malorian
23-06-2010, 20:31
Seeing as you get a random brb lore, I would say perhaps the most benefit from this item comes to a race that cannot access these lores.

Granted with the stupidity you will really want ld9 or better.

I am not sure it's worth paying all those points for a lord with hat just to spend a few turns each game sitting around.

Ogre tyrant seems like a fun place for sure, though I don't think it is really a serious choice for anyone. If you could choose your lore then it would be a tad nicer.

Well another thing to keep in mind is that it's going to be tougher to keep your mages safe, so having a combat lord (with good save and attacks from mundane gear) would be a solid wizard.

I mean mage hunters will have a hard time against an ogre tyrant ;)

GWItheUltimate
23-06-2010, 20:38
On a Chaos Lord,

Thus you could still benefit from the Ld9 of the Chas Lord, you can make him 1+ AS without any magic items, he still have 5 x STR 5 attaks, plus he's Level 2 from a lore you might not have access, and you can put him the Mark of Tzeentch if it still giving +1 to cast in 8 ed.

But on the other hand, WoC have the Book of Secrets that grants you a power dice and a spell from Shadow, Death or Fire for 25 pts... but the book might be less effective in 8ed too...

Oberon
23-06-2010, 20:39
Hmm, a chaos lord with a grey, pointy hat... I can see it now.

Vsurma
23-06-2010, 20:46
Well another thing to keep in mind is that it's going to be tougher to keep your mages safe, so having a combat lord (with good save and attacks from mundane gear) would be a solid wizard.

I mean mage hunters will have a hard time against an ogre tyrant ;)

Yea but it costs the amount of a lv2 wizard, meaning you could have an extra one over the hat.

Also the price also comes in the form of lost opportunity for your CC lord.

Most lords are not actually worth their extra cost over a hero character for any other reason than their increase items allowance, which you use up completely with this item.

Malorian
23-06-2010, 20:49
Yea but it costs the amount of a lv2 wizard, meaning you could have an extra one over the hat.

Yes, so it obviously for times when you don't have access to the regular lores.

Skyros
23-06-2010, 20:53
Some armies have literally no use for it.

Empire, for example, can pay 100 points for a non stupid L2 of the choice of their choosing.

But if you don't normally have access to all lores, and your mages are normally more expensive...could see use?

the random lore aspect kind of kills it for me though.

Tae
23-06-2010, 20:53
A wizarding Tomb King!

Malorian
23-06-2010, 20:59
For my orcs I'm thinking about a savage orc great shaman with the battle axe of the last waaagh and a savage orc warboss with the magic hat (fits in 25% for 2250).

Two lords that are decent fighters and spell casters.

decker_cky
23-06-2010, 21:05
Tzeentch chaos lord could be a good one for the free +1 to cast lets you have 2 tzeentch warrior/casters in an army. :)

Alltaken
23-06-2010, 21:19
A wizarding Tomb King!

On top of a MAGIC CHARIOT! Now how cool's that

Skyros
23-06-2010, 21:26
If only you could give someone both the wizard hat and the magic carpet :(

Sygerrik
23-06-2010, 21:46
Skaven warlord, purely for access to the book lores (though testing Stupidity on Ld10 is nice).

pluch87
23-06-2010, 21:52
For a laugh in a 2000pt Night Gobbo list.

Skarsnik
Night Goblin Warboss - Magic Hat

I know the low LD would be a problem, but the laughs would be worth it... maybe I'll get the Beast lore that turns a goblin into a dragon :p (that's a spell right?)

Paraelix
23-06-2010, 23:16
Worst item evar.

Kerill
23-06-2010, 23:23
I like the tomb king idea, depending on the FAQ TK might then be able to make use of all the power dice floating around in their phase.

shade3413
23-06-2010, 23:31
I think the two best options for this lovely item are a goblin warlord or a Skaven Warlord. Both are cheap and still quite fighty without any other magic gear. They get you a lvl 2 lord for generally under 200 pts and are both from armies which don't have access to the new lores at this time.

Put the skaven warlord on a bone-breaker or war litter and he can still pump out a devastating 8-9 attacks ontop of his magic. The skaven lord will also be testing stupidity at a lovely ld of 10 with a properly ranked unit, if you choose to put him in one.

Also a little gobbo or skaven with an oversized wizard hat would make an excellent conversion imo.

Nighthawke
23-06-2010, 23:37
conversion wise i think its awesome. im thinking i will just have a hat with two holes for eyes and big nose sticking out and just the feet at the bottom for a goblin warlord with it

Sygerrik
23-06-2010, 23:52
Worst item evar.

Are you serious? Book lores are amazing. It's not the best item ever, but there are situations in which I'd gladly use it.

It's terrible for Vampires and Chaos Lords and Oldbloods, but for Skaven and Empire, with cheap-as-dirt Lords, it's a pretty cool choice.

Punjoke
23-06-2010, 23:56
A wizarding Tomb King!

YES.

I'm doing it at least once just for fun.

Gekiganger
24-06-2010, 00:00
Skaven warlord.

The off chance I get to cast comet in the middle of my own battle lines, wiping out half my own army while chittering madly makes it worthwhile. I can see a converted character with a bright future just due to the madness he'll cause on the cards.

Now, do I convert it as a mad skryre warlord with augmentations, or a warlord who found a pretty trinket? :p

Edit: If memory serves I can still get him a mount too, rat-wizard on rat ogre, or mad skryre wizard on some technological terror of a mount...

I love this item.

Gaargod
24-06-2010, 00:11
For funsies? This rocks, easily up there with magic carpets (that's going to become a fricking meme around here at this rate...).

Its actually not the worst item ever either, by any means. Skaven warlords are more or less there to provide LD and a little bit of hittyness. Now, especially with the new items, there's a few viable configurations about (10 S5 attacks with some good saves? Hells yeah, even if my rat ogre has issues...), but at the end of the day a skaven warlord cannot stand up to most combat lords (or even some of the better heroes). But now he's a fairly reliable (LD10) lv2 caster giving me access to decent lores!

Its also nice if you want to run a wizard-free army, but still want +2 to dispel :D Tzeentch caster lords will rise again!

Jack of Blades
24-06-2010, 01:33
This item is an unfortunate casualty of ''it's a cool concept so we'll have to make it next to useless'', I would give it to a lord whose combat odds I don't rate highly to begin with, so pretty much Goblins. Otherwise, nope. Get rid of stupidity and let you pick the lore, then you can justify 100 points on it but now? nope.

Paraelix
24-06-2010, 02:48
Are you serious?

Yes. It costs as much as a Lvl2 does anyway and eats your entire item allowance. Not to mention that most armies without access to the BRB Lores tend to have bad Ld.

Vutall
25-06-2010, 01:08
Bretonnian Lords. I constantly run them without magic items or armor anyways, so you have a St 6 (on the charge) WS 6 A 4 I6 Ld 9 with a 2+ save and 5/6++ Ward, magical attacks (Grail Vow), Immune to Psychology (Grail Vow) as well as being a level 2 wizard for: 268pts. (It's just to bad we can't take a virtue as well!)

Sexiest_hero
25-06-2010, 01:39
Can a bloodthirster use it?

HeroFox
25-06-2010, 01:48

Can Daemons take magical items from the current BRB?

Darktan
25-06-2010, 02:20
A wizarding Tomb King!YES.

I'm doing it at least once just for fun.

just the once? i'm half considering making it a staple choice :p

Ultimate Life Form
25-06-2010, 02:24
I'd love to see a Tomb King with a big Gandalf hat. :p

Darktan
25-06-2010, 02:28
that would be Awesome, guess i could take one right off GW's gandalf model, though he's got to wait 'till after i finish 40 skeles :cries:

Lordmonkey
25-06-2010, 02:37
Ima give it to a Dark Elf Assassin, if that's allowed.

Lolspells.

Lotl Botl
25-06-2010, 04:23
i feel like its mainly their to be awesome, and thats about except in rare circumstances. Also it would be cool to right fluffly background stories for the characters, too bad you can't pick your own lore or have it only cast 80 pts because then it would definitely be viable

Amornar
25-06-2010, 04:26
Thoughts of a fluffy Minotaur army with two Doombulls, a choppy one and a casty one come to mind...... :D

Paraelix
25-06-2010, 08:22
I lie. A Goblin character who is, or is near, the bsb. He's dirt cheap anyway, and with rerolls he might actually pass a test. (165 or 155pts)

OR an Oldblood in Lizards, to give a non-Slann non-Heavens caster. And with his Ld and stats he is pretty tough.

And Dark Elf assassins are a no go. Their allowance is only 75pts, and only for Gifts of Khaine.

Memnos
25-06-2010, 08:29
Well, considering that this is basically the Crown of Nagash(With the exception of a random lore instead of Lore of Death), I would say that it would be great to give to an Orc. Can you imagine an Orc with Lore of Shadows casting the 6th spell on a group of Horde Goblins? 40 S 6 attacks with spears.

What if you gave it to a Shaman? Would they be a level 4 Shaman and a level 2 Wizard or just a Level 2 Wizard?

Ultimate Life Form
25-06-2010, 08:36
That's a very good question; depending on how it's worded you could use it to downgrade your shaman. :p

Keep in mind the Lore you get is random so you can't really base a tactic on this item. However with the new Lore choosing rules (decide before game) this might be an interesting wildcard in tournaments if my belief is right that the Lore be determined anew before each game (or else this wouldn't really make sense). Gotta carefully read these things...

Arkh
25-06-2010, 16:16
I wouldn't be surprised to see this item used for the suicide bomber strat that mages are now capable of. Charge into your opponent's biggest nastiest thing, get a bunch of attacks against it, then self destruct. I think Bretonnian Lords with the Grail Vow will be the best at it. Considering they are cheap, have a ward save, are mounted, immune to psych, and can survive long enough to potentially pull it off twice.

Malorian
25-06-2010, 17:19
I wouldn't be surprised to see this item used for the suicide bomber strat that mages are now capable of. Charge into your opponent's biggest nastiest thing, get a bunch of attacks against it, then self destruct. I think Bretonnian Lords with the Grail Vow will be the best at it. Considering they are cheap, have a ward save, are mounted, immune to psych, and can survive long enough to potentially pull it off twice.

You would have to up against something that costs a LOT of points to make that worth it...

In fact I find the whole idea of these suicidal mages completely foolish. You have to throw your mage in combat, hope for a miscast, hope for the right one, and hope you kill enough to be worth the points.

Only time I can see this being a valid tactic is when your mage gets jumped on in combat (and for some reason wasn't killed off) and so on your turn you do the suicide thing since he's doomed anyway.

Jericho
26-06-2010, 01:52

Can Daemons take magical items from the current BRB?

No. Dwarfs and Demons do not get common magic items.

My Dogs of War on the other hand ... :D

rtunian
26-06-2010, 13:17
hmm i'd put it on a black orc warboss mounted on a wyvern. oh wait!

i hope azhag gets a ring of hotek knockoff instead of the original magic hat in the next o&g book. if our most expensive special character is going to lose the one thing that makes him unique, then i say he should get something to make him worth his points instead.

Arkfatalis
26-06-2010, 16:11
What I don't get is what would happen if you gave it to a LV 4 wizard lord ? Would you get your normal spells, as well as extra ones or would you just become a lv 2 wizard ?

Tae
27-06-2010, 19:29
I'd love to see a Tomb King with a big Gandalf hat. :p

A Tomb King is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to!

teleologica
28-06-2010, 10:50
I'm quite liking the look of this guy:

Chaos Lord of Tzeentch
- Chaos Steed
- Flail (or Halberd) & Shield
- Pointy hat
- Third Eye of Tzeentch
- Conjoined Homunculus

Or alternatively for sheer silliness:
As above, but Mark Of Khorne instead of Tzeentch, and mounted on a Juggernaut.

I dread to think how you'd justify the second one in fluff terms ... maybe that he's a Blessed of Khorne who has been subverted by Tzeentch, and the stupidity is his growing insanity as the Chaos Gods attempt to woo him back.

Anyway, Tzeentch dude - he's a killy Chaos Lord, prehaps not as tough to kill as a defensive lord, but nonetheless T5 W3 1+ (2+ in melee)/6++. Casts with +3 +d3, and gets two spells, hopefully from a good lore that WoC don't usually get. Even if he doesn't get good spells, you've got a second chance to get something useful by stealing your opponent's spells.

Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion he'll end up jack of all trades and master of none. I need to try him out for a couple of games and see how it goes.

ExxonValdez
28-06-2010, 17:19
Skaven Warlord, Wizards Hat, Heavy Armour, Shield = 193.
Mount him for a 3 plus save. But thats getting expensive

Skaven Magic is crap compared to the new Lores.

A level 2 Plague Priest is 135. He's toughness 5 but other than that the stats of the Warlord are much better and you get a 4 plus 6 plus save with 3 wounds. I would entertain the idea. My grey seer keeps dying leaving me with crap magic from the engineer.

grumbaki
28-06-2010, 17:38
Hmm...general of the Empire, pointy hat, full plate, shield. 185 points.

So you get a lvl 2 wizard with WS 5, S4, T4, W3, I5, A3, Ld9. Top it all off with a 3+ AS and a 6+ WS, and he might be able to survive.