PDA

View Full Version : Iron Within Evilbeetle's Project Log

evilbeetles
25-02-2006, 02:04
Hi Everyone,

Well, I am starting my second Iron Warriors army and thought this would be a great place to share my progress!

My focus with this project is to create an all around solid force of 2000 points that is fun to play and to play against (no 9 Obliterators here;) )

Attached is some pieces from where I am right now, which is 8 man CSM squad and a 7 man squad with infiltrate (inspired by Storm of Iron). Also attached is my Chaos Lt (he is the one with the red skin!)

So please enjoy and feel welcome to offer any and all thoughts on my progress:)

evilbeetles
25-02-2006, 02:10
ARG! When I tried to edit my post because I could not veiw my pic, they did appear in my first post....Maybe my over-protective Virus scan will not let me veiw them. Please let me know if you all can see them...

Thanks

Never mind they are there, sorry about this post, please disgregard.

AventineCrusader
25-02-2006, 06:18
Nice looking IW. They're dark yet well highlighted. The lieutenant conversion is simple and well executed. What does your list look like?

Crusader:D

ExoCowboy
25-02-2006, 07:21
Looking great, I am eagerly following your progress.

Your style of painting IW is nice change from the usual, more sloppy look they use to have (which may be because people who usually take IW take it because their list is a bit broken, and thus they are those who might not
want to enjoy event the other parts of the hobby.

evilbeetles
25-02-2006, 11:47
Nice looking IW. They're dark yet well highlighted. The lieutenant conversion is simple and well executed. What does your list look like?

My list is kinda funny in the respect that I recieved a bunch of Chaos stuff in trade from a Star Wars Collection:D ! So this is what I got:

-2 more squads of CSM
-Basalisk
-Predator (which I should be able to post today)
-1 box of Havocs which I am going to work into the fore mentioned 2 CSM squads to fill them out to 10 guys per squad.
-2 obliterators (I plan on using copper piping to represent their gun barrels because I can not stand those little wee bits that GW gives you, as the are very hard to pin)
-Dreadnaught

The one thing that I do plan on doing for the list is to use all 4 heavy supports and just because I am a fan of Dreads, that might just be choise #4.

I do not have much a points total vs what I own so far as I was to amped to just start building again, but when I post my predator I should have some thing for finalized then:)

evilbeetles
25-02-2006, 21:47
Well here is my Predator. The model started with a base coat of a bolt gun metal, tin bitz, and brown ing base coat (no dry brush). Once the base coat dried I washed the tank with a mix of cat. green, g. earth, yellow ink, and a drop of matte medium. When that wash dried I stippled the model with the base coat. Next I washed the model with a very thinned mix of g. earth, b. bone, brown ink, and 1 drop o' matte medium. As with the last wash I stippled the model again with the base coat. IMO this created a beet un-kept look. With the unkept look in mind I do most of the important guns in a rust theme. From my view point I think as long as the gun(s) work, rust or not, the IW are happy. As with pre-heresy times I see the IW constantly on "duty" with not much time to polish the wares! Well I have a dread to work on but my clippers broke:wtf: , so I have to run out and buy a pair so hope fully the Dread is up tomorrow.

FearFrost
25-02-2006, 21:50
Yet another really nice IW army...I might almost start respecting em if this keeps up!!

I kid, I kid. Very nice, I like your fleshtones a lot, too. The metal isnt just slapped on boltgun metal...well done.

The pred is solid, I love the striping.

Brian

evilbeetles
27-02-2006, 22:59
Update:

Well I have hit a slight snag. When I was building my Dread I was having some trouble making his legs attach to his feet (no more metal Dreads for me thanks). So I finally got everything OK and let him sit for 24 hours before priming. 24 hours passed, model primed. I start to paint and I feel a slight give in it's lower body, so I give it a little nudge and he pops right off from the feet! Arg! So to get him together it took some more pinning and I believe all to be well.

Anyway here is the list as I march towards my first 1000 points. I hope to have pics soon.

HQ- Chaos LT w/MoUD, lightning claws, infiltrate, and demonic aura.

Troop- Squad 1- MoUD, 1x H. Bolter, Asp. Champ. w/P.pistol & P.weapon

Troop- Squad 2- MoUD, frags, infiltrate, 1x meltagun, Asp. Champ. w/P.fist.

Troop- Squad 3- MoUD, 1x Lasconnon, 1x Plasma gun, ASP Champ. w/ P.pistol, P.weapon, and bionics.

Elite- 2 Oblits

Heavy- Pred. w/twin linked lascaonnon, side sponson h.bolters.

Heavy- Dread w/ Plasma cannon

total 1007 points

I have shown pics of the Pred, members of Squad 1 & 2, Chaos Lt..

Thanks for the views and comments so far:skull:

The Dragon Reborn
28-02-2006, 06:28
very solid pred, I really like your skintones and how well the metal is painted

good luck with that pesky dread and I hope to see it up soon

KayvaanShrike
28-02-2006, 14:22
Those look cool, not all bright and shiny metal like most IW armies I have seen, but dull, but you can still tell they are metal etc. Very nice, hope you whip that dread into its place soon!

Deadite
28-02-2006, 15:09
Very smooth metals, great skin tones. One of the better IW armies I've seen. Not nearly as gawdy as some all-metallic armies.

evilbeetles
03-03-2006, 00:56
Man, what a delay I ran into this week. Anyway, as an update, my Dread was very fixable. He is almost done and I will post him as soon as he is totally done (hopefully tomorrow!). Thanks again to all that have commented and/or viewed!

evilbeetles
04-03-2006, 01:12
Hello Everyone,

Well, a little late (by my schedule) here is my Dread. For some years now I have been buying good guy dreads and making them bad guy dreads, so this time aroun I thought I would buy my first CSM Dread in many years. Long story short, I not sure I like the CSM Dread..... Not sure why, but maybe for my next one I will go back to what jives best with me.

Anyway here he is.

Next is another CSM Squad :chrome: .

evilbeetles
07-03-2006, 22:20
Well I took a couple days off from painting and just played games of 40k with the small band of IW guys I have so far. After a much needed eyeball break I was inspired to work on my Demon Prince. I chose to use Bel'lakor (sp?) and I decided to go out of my comfort zone and attempt some conversion/green stuff work. Over all I am pleased with the out come. I just need to shore up some gaps and I can begin painting this fellow. In the meantime I plan I finishing a half done squad of 8 troops as I wait for green stuff to fully cure and glue to set.:)

AventineCrusader
08-03-2006, 01:17
I really like the choice of DP, although its unfortunate he doesn't have more armour. Is that a kai gun? Simple yet effective conversion. Where'd that gun come from? Can't wait to see him painted.

evilbeetles
08-03-2006, 23:26
I really like the choice of DP, although its unfortunate he doesn't have more armour. Is that a kai gun? Simple yet effective conversion. Where'd that gun come from? Can't wait to see him painted.

Hello Friend,

The skin on this fella is going to be painted with metallics similar, but my own brand, to that of the Deciever. If I was doing any other legion than IW I would go with more armour. Yes, that is a Kai gun. The piece is from the Battle of McCragge which I think this is some kind of "power core" for the downed craft. The bottom of this cylinder looked to me like an undrilled assault cannon in the making. Although the Kai is supposed to look like a big ol' bolter I decided to let my imagination flow a bit. The cord that plugs in to his body from the gun is a "barrowed" spring thing from work. The center is hollow whick allow a pin to run right through it that works for stability and a solid pin all in one go.:)

Thanks again for the kind words:cool:

AventineCrusader
08-03-2006, 23:38
Thought I recognized the piece, just couldn't place it, awesome. The mettalic skin tones should look sweet, no armour won't be a problem. You can interpret the kai gun however you want without WYSIWYG problems becuase its a daemon weapon:D . Look forward to seeing more of your army.

Crusader

Warboss Garfang
09-03-2006, 03:26
Awesome daemon prince, very good choice of model, and I think just about anyone familiar with Chaos wargear will immediately think it's a Kai gun(I did, anyway). Can't wait to see him painted.

spongebob103
09-03-2006, 10:15
I like it alot how did you paint your silver, it a very subtle tone.

evilbeetles
09-03-2006, 11:19
I like it alot how did you paint your silver, it a very subtle tone.

Aside from the predator, the troops and Dread were painted with a base coat of boltgun/tin bitz/brown ink (this base coat is painted, not dry brushed). From there I wash them with a mix of black ink/brown ink/a sot of beatial brown/and a drop of matte medium. Once the wash is dry I stipple the base coat on key light catching areas of the model to give the dirty yet metal feel. For large models like the Pred please see the post on the first page for that mix:)

tzeentchgiant
09-03-2006, 17:04
Lovely gold, very cool overall.

The DP prince though, I'm blown away, I love it, so simple, yet astounding, perfection.

I would love to add those pictures to my sig, if you'd like to add your username to the bottom of them then I can update it very soon - only so everyone knows who made it :).

TG

evilbeetles
10-03-2006, 01:26
Lovely gold, very cool overall.

The DP prince though, I'm blown away, I love it, so simple, yet astounding, perfection.

I would love to add those pictures to my sig, if you'd like to add your username to the bottom of them then I can update it very soon - only so everyone knows who made it :).

TG

I swear there is some "thing" in this universe that everytime something cool is offered to me something goes wrong. Allow my to explain. tzeentchgiant kindly offered to add my DP pic to his sig and was very honorable to ask me to attach my user name. So I was like "Cool!". So I add text to my pic and for some reason I am now unable to upload this pic. Something about the added text is some how causing problems. Unfortunatly, there is a huge gap between my brush skill and computer skill lol.

So if anyone has a suggestion for me to remedy this please PM me so we do not clog up the thread. This would be very much appriciated:cool:

In the meantime, if you like tzeentchgiant please feel free to add my pic to the sig. At least we will know where it came from;) .

tzeentchgiant
10-03-2006, 15:56
I'll add your name myself in PS.

You'll have to work hard to find them though, they'll be hidden away.

TG

EDIT: Wasn't there a second picture?

EDIT 2: A little URL shuffling and I found it :).

EDIT 3: Added :).

Zakhero
10-03-2006, 19:06
Nice job man. Not only do those look great you whooped me our last game. MY Black Templars will be back. O did u finsh ur demon yet? I cant wait to c it.

tzeentchgiant
10-03-2006, 19:10
Welcome to the forums Zakhero :), just a friendly heads up - watch that grammar, it should all be in good plain English, no txt talk or anything like that.

Aside from that welcome, hope you have a good time posting here.

(The point of this message was to tell evilbeetles to check out the "w" of own and the "d" of random.)

TG

Sigma
10-03-2006, 20:41
Wow. Very, very impressive! I really like the smooth style of painting you've got going on, and it's actually a style I try to adhere to myself. I don't like my models to have a gritty or obviously one layer of paint look to them....and I can tell neither do you;)

Seriously, amazing work.

Oh, and your Daemon Prince is looking great! Surprisingly, that's the first one I've personally seen that has been based of of Be'lakor. I'm sure it's been done, but....wow. I'm a little jealous.

Zakhero
10-03-2006, 23:08
Welcome to the forums Zakhero :), just a friendly heads up - watch that grammar, it should all be in good plain English, no txt talk or anything like that.

Aside from that welcome, hope you have a good time posting here.

(The point of this message was to tell evilbeetles to check out the "w" of own and the "d" of random.)

TG
Sorry about that. I cant spell if my life depended on it. Thanks for welcome. Good job EB

Zakhero
10-03-2006, 23:11
Oh and I seriously willl dread fighting that monster of a deamon Evil. Like always great work. Keep it up.

evilbeetles
12-03-2006, 16:52
Hey everyone,

Well before I start my Demon Prince today I had to finish up a CSM squad. So, here are a couple of the more "stand out" guys from my 3rd 8 man squad. Well, now it is off to paint the DP.:chrome:

athamas
12-03-2006, 16:57
thats some very nice... rusty painting..

i think thats the best word for it! Looks Great!

Zakhero
12-03-2006, 18:15
Awesome guys. I love the rust!

Insane Psychopath
12-03-2006, 21:42
I like the darker Silver look you got. Thought one thing use metal Iron Warriors shoulder pads (if you not) they are great & help in the long run, I alway use them on ever single IW model I make (who a Marine)

Keep it up & look forward to seeing more of the Iron Men.

IP

evilbeetles
16-03-2006, 01:03
Well my demon prince is all done! Man, was that a job and a half! Anyway I am pleased with the metalic skin and the overall blend of organic and metal "elements" that make up this bad fella. I used several thin washes of various color to achieve most of the skin. As you will see the broad areas are a dirty metal look and the under arm and softer areas are shaded with a dirty megenta wash/blend. I look forward to testing this guy on the battlefield soon!

Zakhero
16-03-2006, 16:47
Awesome job EB!!!! Looks great i love the skin. Keep it up

tzeentchgiant
16-03-2006, 22:44
:eek:, Cheers for the PM, I'll be updating my sig soon methinks.

(BTW, I photoshopped the text on to the originals, seems odd it isn't working for you :confused:)

Very cool.

TG