PDA

View Full Version : A pessmisits first game of 8th

Tarliyn
25-06-2010, 00:58
So I was really worried about some of the changes that were coming with 8th Edition. Well today I played my first game using the new rules and it wasn't bad. We played a 3k game, lizzies vs. skaven.
I ran an engine, a couple stegs, a carnosaur, 3 units of skinks 2 horde units for cohorts, some sallies and some chameleon sinks. He ran a pretty standard skaven list: a bell, some slaves, some clan rats, a unit of stormvermin, a hpa, some weapon teams, and 2 catapults.

LoS: I was a big opponent of true line of sight. It hasn;t really changed that much in the game. Things that would have screened targets in 7th add hard cover now. That makes most shooting ineffective against those targets, and the fact that magic can now target them is okay because....
Magic: I had originally thought that the changes to the power dice generation wouldn't be that bad, different sure, but not bad...I was wrong. I personally did not like the magic phase at all. I had my skink priest on the engine (so basically a lvl 3). I didn't get that many spells off and the ones I did get off there was an equal or better chance it would get dispelled. I got comet off once but it didn't do that much. Maybe it is just lore of heavens, but I am finding the risk is certainly not near the reward it can bring.
Templates: The change to templates was both great for my opponent and myself. This is really how templates should have worked all along.
Strike in Int Order: I was also a pretty big naysayer of this. But much to my surprise I did not hate it as much as I thought I would. It is different, not better, not worse, just different. The same can be said for...
Random Charge Range: Again this was not bad, actually much to my surprise I liked it. Sure not everyone will but the extra charge range you could get is great and tbh most of the charges in up be around the same range that they would have been in 7th.
Steadfast: I liked this, which I didn't think I would. The only thing I think I would change would be flank charges negating it.
Scouting: The change to scouting was awesome for my chameleons. They are easily now a no brainer for me.
Skirmish: The new formation didn't really change much. March and shoot is awesome.
Fight in two ranks/step up: My army didn't really take advantage of this so I am holding judgment.

Well that is most of what I can think of now. The biggest thing I was worried about with 8th was that it would change the feel of the game. It most certainly hasn't. The game still has much the same feel to it which is good. I will say though the game was much bloodier, a majority of both our armies were dead.

Paraelix
25-06-2010, 01:03
Glad you didn't hate it :D

Scouting: The change to scouting was awesome for my chameleons. They are easily now a no brainer for me.
Hell yes. I am with you here.

I have issues with the Skirmisher's movement, but only because you really need a base to keep them all lined up appropriately.

And Magic? I think Lore of Heavens is a bit lame >_> I'd give it a go with a Slann and a different Lore. That said, it is alot more balanced with casting and dispelling, although I've found your opponent will still usually throw all their dispel at 1, maybe 2 spells.

isanti13
25-06-2010, 04:05
I just got my first game of 8th edition in tonight with my Dwarfs vs Vampire counts.

2nd turn my 30 man slayer unit was able to charge..... need I say more? :D

Petey
25-06-2010, 04:43
Heavens is nowhere near as bad ass as it once was, but it has some nasty s6 missiles and it s great anti flying. It s no longer my first choice in casting but I like all the lores now, where last edition I only played heavens unless my list forced me to play something else, like dark magic or necromancy.

Stronginthearm
25-06-2010, 05:09
I just got my first game of 8th edition in tonight with my Dwarfs vs Vampire counts.

2nd turn my 30 man slayer unit was able to charge..... need I say more? :D

why are you taking a 30 man slayer unit?:confused:;) (you did ask)

Wednesday Friday Addams
25-06-2010, 05:11
Because it is 30 parts awesome?

Yrrdead
25-06-2010, 05:33
Steadfast: I liked this, which I didn't think I would. The only thing I think I would change would be flank charges negating it.

Flank charges don't negate steadfast. Take a look at the paragraph for Disruption (negate rank bonus). Steadfast is simply counting up ranks. Which is not the same thing as rank bonus.

Glad to hear other people are enjoying it.

Kalandros
25-06-2010, 05:48
Flank charges don't negate steadfast. Take a look at the paragraph for Disruption (negate rank bonus). Steadfast is simply counting up ranks. Which is not the same thing as rank bonus.

Glad to hear other people are enjoying it.
Huh thats exactly what he meant.. he said if he could, he would make it so that flank/rear charges negated Steadfast.

Tarliyn
25-06-2010, 05:55
Because it is 30 parts awesome?

A) That was awesome. I am still laughing.

Huh thats exactly what he meant.. he said if he could, he would make it so that flank/rear charges negated Steadfast.

B) Yeah that is what I meant. I like steadfast but would change it where it too gets negated with flank charges. I would also allow US10 things to negate ranks to but what do you do. (I wouldn't care if the steg got that ability taken away with the new faqs coming, I want to be able to use cav again :( )

But overall I enjoyed the game.

isanti13
25-06-2010, 06:27
why are you taking a 30 man slayer unit?:confused:;) (you did ask)

I decided to use them since I've literally been playing the exact same dwarf list for the last 2.5 years (Hammerers with shields ftw!) and decided to switch it up and use some slayers in a 30 man unit to try out the horde rule. It was pretty sweet. And, they were slayer pirates.... what's more awesome than slayer pirates? ;)

Although we only got to finish turn 3 tonight when I played, since we spent a lot of time looking up new rules and such, I can honestly say I am really excited for 8th edition. Now the only thing I need to see is all the erratas so I can decide which army to do next!

Gork or Possibly Mork
25-06-2010, 06:34
A) That was awesome. I am still laughing.

B) Yeah that is what I meant. I like steadfast but would change it where it too gets negated with flank charges. I would also allow US10 things to negate ranks to but what do you do. (I wouldn't care if the steg got that ability taken away with the new faqs coming, I want to be able to use cav again :( )

But overall I enjoyed the game.

Why would US10 negate it? I thought US was gone and the rule for being able to break ranks was you had to have two standard ranks on the flank. Meaning 5x2 or more for infantry, 4x2 or more cav, and 3x2 for monstrous infantry. So basically monsters can't do it.

Agnar the Howler
25-06-2010, 06:44
Why would US10 negate it? I thought US was gone and the rule for being able to break ranks was you had to have two standard ranks on the flank. Meaning 5x2 or more for infantry, 4x2 or more cav, and 3x2 for monstrous infantry. So basically monsters can't do it.

It is gone but he said he would allow it anyway, since one of the Steg's greatest abilities was how it could break ranks, and that got taken away, so now killing the little guy(s) on top get killed a whole lot easier.

Gork or Possibly Mork
25-06-2010, 06:50
It is gone but he said he would allow it anyway, since one of the Steg's greatest abilities was how it could break ranks, and that got taken away, so now killing the little guy(s) on top get killed a whole lot easier.

Doh! Yeah I see it now. "I would also allow"

TheSanityAssassin
25-06-2010, 06:51
I'm glad you liked it. My fears are slowly dwindling regarding 8th, though I've yet to play.

I'm still not sold on 8th ed magic though. As you said, I don't feel the risk to your army is worth the reward. That said, I'm not sure if I will have the guys to go without a caster as I had originally wanted to, at least not with my Elves. My empire on the other hand, I think will get on fine without one, given the number of men and Mortars I will have.

Tarliyn
25-06-2010, 07:10

cav get ranks for 4 models? I must have missed that. Well maybe my cav will be useable, I will have to run some numbers

Gork or Possibly Mork
25-06-2010, 07:13
cav get ranks for 4 models? I must have missed that. Well maybe my cav will be useable, I will have to run some numbers

Supposedly but Im not sure if this rumour was squashed or not and I haven't been keeping up with the rumours much so I'd like to know if it's true or not.

Shield of Freedom
25-06-2010, 07:40
My LFGS has the rule book and we've played REAL 8th edition games already. Cavalry still need to be 5 wide for a rank bonus. Only the rider in the second rank (and not the mount) may get a supporting attack.

If you guys want, I'll answer any and all questions I can about the new edition. We've played it a lot at my store already and we all love it. We all feel it greatly improved the game. After all, an edition that doesn't change the elite armies much but gives a boon to some "underpowered" books as Orcs and Goblins, etc. is good in my book.

stashman
25-06-2010, 08:22

Ok, whats new with Scouting rules?

Paraelix
25-06-2010, 08:29

No.

Scouts now set up outside 12". Can be in LoS and needn't be in cover. I place mine on the table edge IN their deployment :D

They cannot charge first turn (or if you go first, I forget which).