PDA

View Full Version : Ranked skink units

101st Vostroyan
25-06-2010, 02:27
What is the viability of ranked skink units in 8th Ed.

I was thinking of using a 24 man skink unit with 3 kroxigors. The unit would run in a 6x6 formation with a banner and musician. On the charge, the unit would have a static 8 CR. The skinks should kill 1-2 T3 enemies a turn with the kroxigors killing around 4 enemies. The skinks would die easily but seem that they should beat their opponents...

If not they are a fear causing, stubborn most of the time that can flank and support my saurus...

What are your thoughts on this unit?

Pete_x
25-06-2010, 03:47
where do you get 8 static CR??? I count 5

Ramius4
25-06-2010, 04:32
where do you get 8 static CR??? I count 5

Not to mention the fact that in 8th, the maximum static CR is +4 :p

Up to 3 ranks, and +1 for banner. That's it. There's no more outnumbering. You do get a +1 for charging though, and an additional +1 if you charge downhill.

101st Vostroyan
25-06-2010, 04:48
Was saying +1 for charge, +1 for banner, +1 fo outnumber, and +5 for 5 extra ranks in a 6x6 unit...

I don't remember all of the new CR bonuses so that's why I based my ideas on information that may be skewed.

So are you saying that the units still isn't all that viable?

Ramius4
25-06-2010, 05:08
Was saying +1 for charge, +1 for banner, +1 fo outnumber, and +5 for 5 extra ranks in a 6x6 unit...

I don't remember all of the new CR bonuses so that's why I based my ideas on information that may be skewed.

So are you saying that the units still isn't all that viable?

That's not what I'm saying at all. I was just saying that you don't get all those combat bonuses that you think you do.

There is no such thing as outnumber bonus anymore. The maximum rank bonus you can get is +3. So when charging, the best you're going to get is a +5.

I've always used Skink/Krox units since they came back in the latest Lizardmen book. It was one of the things I missed most from their 5th edition book.

If you want an assessment of how they'll be different in 8th edition, here it is. Attacking in two ranks is only going to get you 2 additional Skink attacks above what you got in 7th edition, since the Kroxigors were able to fight already.

Being able to get all your attacks in with the Skinks isn't all that impressive. The Kroxigors will be striking last on the charge now, as opposed to first.

So, if anything, these units took a little bit of a hit in 8th. I'm not saying they're bad, just stating the facts.

They still have great manoueverability and movement. Kroxigors causing fear is something that will benefit you more in 8th than it did in 7th. You never had enough Kroxigors to outnumber the opponent anyways, so you're better off with a failed Ld test making the enemy WS 1 for that phase.

101st Vostroyan
25-06-2010, 05:29
From what I've read and seen, they seem to be effective flankers to help a saurus unit, but can't really hold their own in combat. I was thinking of running Tehenuain to give all my skinks hatred of skaven since my friend plays skaven and to make one skink unit unbreakable, plus having lore of beasts...

I will proxy a skink unit to see how they do but I'm a little underwhelmed with them, since in the end they're are still only T2

Ramius4
25-06-2010, 05:40
From what I've read and seen, they seem to be effective flankers to help a saurus unit, but can't really hold their own in combat. I was thinking of running Tehenuain to give all my skinks hatred of skaven since my friend plays skaven and to make one skink unit unbreakable, plus having lore of beasts...

I will proxy a skink unit to see how they do but I'm a little underwhelmed with them, since in the end they're are still only T2

Tenehuain does not give a unit his Unbreakable rule. Unbreakable characters can't even join units that are not already Unbreakable.

He's still a good character though. The only unit he can really join is a Jungle Swarm (unbreakable), or he can always ride on a Stegadon.

The Lore of Beasts is excellent, and has some things that will really help out those Skinks these days. The default spell in beasts gives a unit +1 Strength and Toughness until the start of the next magic phase. That's a good combo for Skink/Krox (or anyone really).

Paraelix
25-06-2010, 08:15
Personally... I don't plan on running Skinkk blocks unless I take Tetto.

They die far too easily, especially with the step up rules. Their only hope is magic buffs from nearby Wizards...

PurchasedPig
25-06-2010, 08:51
I love Skink blocks but unfortunately, in the new rules, I will not be taking them with attached Kroxigor. I will be using big blocks (40?) running 5 in the front rank and trailing lots of ranks for the Stubborn. When put near a Slann they become Ld 9 Cold-Blooded Stubborn with BSB re-rolls. I don't care if 10 Blood Knights charge them - they'll still have more ranks and survive long enough for a flanking Stegadon.

I think that the ability to win combat with the Skinks has fallen considerably as their mediocre stats are more of an issue simply becuase twice as many opponents hit you but I think they still have a place with every other armies large cheap ranked units for Steadfast. As a result my Kroxigor will be doing their own thing from now on in a single unit of 3 (well, once I buy two more Kroxigor anyway)

-PurchasedPig-

Memnos
25-06-2010, 08:54
I think Skink/Kroxigor units will be much more viable.

Kroxigor do the damage, Skinks have the ranks to cancel stubborn.

And unlike Saurus units, you will be able to have more ranks than most others, which means you'll have the Slann's leadership, cold blooded and most likely a reroll as well.

Vsurma
25-06-2010, 09:08
I will still use ranked units as flankers, I used to take 11 skinks and a krox, might up that to 16+krox, full com

For front skinks need lots of ranks, not so much for their own stubborn, but so they negate the enemies, that is the role I see for the skinks, having more ranks than the enemies main unit who you plan to charge with say 6 krox or something.

I wouldn't take 3 krox in said unit because then your already 6 wide, its too expensive, 2 krox is ok though.

Agnar the Howler
25-06-2010, 12:47
Only with Tetto'Eko or with a few Krox in small units. 360pts for 50 WS2 T2 cohorts and 2 kroxigors is too much for what they do.

101st Vostroyan
25-06-2010, 16:31
It seems to me that the unit is more trouble than it is worth. I could take an ancient stegadon for less points than a 24 skink, 3 krox unit.

It would be kind of fun to give a unit of skinks a skink chief a skavenpelt banner and have them with frenzy...

On the other hand, a unit of 6 Krox would be more effective I think since in a unit of those type of monsters I believe you get all your attacks from the second rank.:eek:

X1Scotch1X
25-06-2010, 16:58
I am taking an all Skink army and so far they are undefeated. You just need to take a Life Slann then those skink cohorts are stupid good. They become a giant beefy swarm that will stop anything in its tracks. With life you can make a 40 man unit with 3 Krox Toughness 6 Skinks and Toughness 8 Krox. With the ability to cast on them any unit touching them take 2d6 strenght 4 hits. Then you take your lvl 2 priest and hope to drop comet on just the enemy unit. Just put the marker 13" away from your skink unit but within range of the fighting unit. You will destroy any heavy armoured troop. All you have to do is keep them in combat long enough.

The unit is good just have to combo it properly with magic and other skink units. I know this is all theory but I do it all the time and it ruins units. And if say blood knights or khorne warriors hit the unit all the unit has to do is hold at LD 9 stubborn re roll cold blooded. Then you can use your 2 stegs to flank or support. Skinks are soooo good now just play them like a wood elf army and you can ruin any army.

Good luck man hope this helps with some ideas.:)

puckus10
07-07-2010, 20:48
wats cr???????

Naestran
07-07-2010, 22:10
CR is combat resolution. Basically it determines who wins the fight. Static CR is combat resolution you get without causing any wounds, this is usually gained by ranks and banners. You get one CR per wound, one per rank to a maximum of 3 and one if you have a standard bearer. You can win combat without killing an enemy due to static CR

Naestran
07-07-2010, 22:12
Sorry for double post but the two were unrelated

I was thinking of running a skink horde with a life slann but it just wasn't hordey enough, a slann, salamanders, usually a stegadon and some kroxigor all add up, and this is before any skinks. How did you fit in a slann with your skink horde?

puckus10
08-07-2010, 00:20
just make your slan really cheap. He is still gonna be good.