PDA

View Full Version : Dragons and such

Tarliyn
25-06-2010, 02:30
So I played a game of 8th earlier and I used a carnosaur and was not impressed in the least. My steg did okay but that is because his stubborn kept him around in the fight.

I have always wanted to make a High Elf infantry list lead by a lord on a dragon with repeaters for support but after seeing my carnosaur do so poorly today I am starting to wonder if that will be possible in 8th.

What does everyone else think? Has anyone tried playing a high elf army such as the one I described using the 8th ed rules? Was the dragon worth it?

I love the model and think dragons are cool but I don't want to dump a bunch of points into something that won't preform at all.

What about other such mounts/monsters like this?

Kalandros
25-06-2010, 02:35
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=32306

Maybe of insight to you.

Tarliyn
25-06-2010, 05:38
cool that was perfect

disappointing that the post says swordmasters aren't cutting it anymore. With new plastics ones coming out I was looking forwards to fielding one of my favorite units fluff and appearance wise.

Thanks for the link

Kalandros
25-06-2010, 05:45
That's just one report out there, gotta try different unit sizes, different approaches, etc.

Tarliyn
25-06-2010, 06:20
very true I won't give up on them yet: high ws, high int, high str and 2 attacks have to be worth something lol

Kayosiv
25-06-2010, 07:27
They're still good, they just can't be fielded in units of 7-10 anymore. Their biggest hit is from the supporting attacks from the second rank.

11 strength 5 attacks is obviously way better than 6 strength 6 most of the time. But is 16 strength 5 really better than 11 strength 6? That one is a little tougher. If nothing else, white lions with their stubborn and phoenix guard with their initiative 6 are both a lot more important in 8th edition than in 7th.

Tell me what happened to your carnosaur, I'm interested as I fear mine will suffer the same fate.

Paraelix
25-06-2010, 08:07
So I played a game of 8th earlier and I used a carnosaur and was not impressed in the least. My steg did okay but that is because his stubborn kept him around in the fight.

35pt magic item in the new Common... Makes Char stubborn. Problem solvered.

Oberon
25-06-2010, 08:49
Carnosaur and dragon are both monsters,but that's about it. Dragons fly, breathe fire, attack&hit (ws and A) more often and can take more hits (wounds, toughness, save), and cost a bit more. Carnosaurs biggest downfall is its poor weaponskill, dragons don't have that disadvantage. In short: I wouldn't be too worried if the carnosaur failed you, dragons won't. Just stay clear from cannons.

HeroFox
25-06-2010, 09:11
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=32306

Maybe of insight to you.

How many cannons did the Empire guy have?

TLoS and no guess range cannons that do D6 wounds would serious wreck a Dragon's day no?

Franz_Karl
25-06-2010, 09:15
Luckily for me, I am the only Empire player in my gaming group, and there are no Dwarfs, therefore, I have little worry about a cannon destroying my dragon (Karl Franz on the Imperial Dragon). I have yet to field it, but my griffon ate some Blood Knights (keep in mind they're 400 points) for lunch last weekend. I can only imagine that a dragon would perform better