PDA

View Full Version : beastmen 8th ed, viable build?

mightygnoblar
25-06-2010, 22:11
okay here is my first attempt at a beast list for the new edition, it seems to me that despite being designed for the new edition beasts have come off relatively badly in that unlike a lot of older armies they have no real boosts that werent counted (and therefore pointed) for when the book was written..hopefully this will ease off over time, assuming that GW can follow the same design philosophy for more tha two army books :rolleyes:y

anyhow i still think this list can work

Great Bray-Shaman (Lore of Beasts)
Level 4
Additional Hand Weapon
Many Limbed Fiend
Jagged Dagger
Uncanny Senses
Total 279

Wargor
Battle Standard Bearer
Heavy Armour
Gnarled Hide
Enchanted Shield
Total 134

Bray-Shaman 75 (Lore of the Wild)

Bray-Shaman 75 (Lore of the Wild)

Ungor w/spears
40 Ungor
Full Command
Total 255

Ungor w/spears
30 Ungor
Full Command
Total 195

Ungor w/spears
30 Ungor
Full Command
Total 195

Gor w/additional hand weapons
30 Gor
Full Command
Total 265

Bestigor
20 Bestigor
Standard
Total 252

Now this leaves me with exactly 275 left
for this either could either go straight out and buy a Ghorgon, or i could get infanty support, which do you reckon would be better?

Total 2000

so there is the list, block heavy i know but i think it has the speed and numbers to work, any questions on why ive taken certain things feel free to ask, c&c is very welcome

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
25-06-2010, 23:29
hmmm...ghorgons are good now that your enemy wont be running away, so i would definitely take one, that and frenzy is now much easier to deal with.

tbh, im not a great fan of bestigors, too many points for what they do imho, ud probably be better with a couple of units of centigors, or maybe a unit of minos or razorgors.

that said, im still getting my head around 8th edition, but minos are still looking very good with both impact hits and stomp,

just my thoughts and opinions, take from it what you will, but i think gor blocks will be very good next edition, particularly with lore of beast buffs, perhaps even good enough to eliminate the need for bestigors :D

LevDaddy
25-06-2010, 23:38
You have solid meat and potatoes in there but I think you need a little variety, with the remaining 275 you can get any combination of Razorgors to take over a flank, Harpies to harass the enemy from the flank or the rear and take out war machines, or perhaps some chariots for combo charges and more flank power.

Also, I don't know if I'd go 2 level one Shamans in this list, all you're really getting is one more spell for the points of the 2nd one. Perhaps pay for the 2nd level on one and throw in a scroll. Or better yet ditch one and find a few extra points to get a unit or two of Ungor Raiders and keep one in ambush.

Just a few thoughts from someone who has never played Beastmen but loves the book and is planning on starting them soon, enjoy!

mightygnoblar
26-06-2010, 11:56
the idea behind the twon shamans is for both of them to take the basic spell on the lore of the wild and us it to throw the army down the opponents throats as fast as possible, this is assuming that the default spell counts as a signature spell mind you. However yes it may be too much of points cost to do it, if so i can drop the second shaman, make the other level 2 and but him on the lore of beasts as well.

she i may be the only person who thinks minotaurs have been worsened this edition, yes on paper they are more powerful, however i think the stepping up rule will make small squads far too fragile to field and a squad of 6 (for the rank) is really expensive, same goes for razorgor and centigors I2 really makes them seem terrible now.

Romulus68
26-06-2010, 13:54
Not knowing the beasts all to well. What is the Great Bray's leadership?

It looks like you could squeeze points wise (Lord 25%) a 2nd lord in to have a General with higher leadership.

I too feel like you are missing something in the heavy hitter/cannon magnet range. If you plan to win with your blocks of infantry then take something big and scary to draw attention while your blocks shoot across the board.

mightygnoblar
26-06-2010, 14:53
the great bray is Ld 8 which isnt bad, as it stands id have 221 points for a beastlord, however this would mean cutting units to get him, i really want the battle standard as they let you re-roll all leadership checks now...which includes primal fury.

In the big department i have the ghorgon who will draw a lot of fire, the bestigors will be my main heavy hitter, they have improved a fair bit now as they dont have to worry about their front rank dieing before they attack so much

Romulus68
26-06-2010, 15:17
the great bray is Ld 8 which isnt bad, as it stands id have 221 points for a beastlord, however this would mean cutting units to get him, i really want the battle standard as they let you re-roll all leadership checks now...which includes primal fury.

In the big department i have the ghorgon who will draw a lot of fire, the bestigors will be my main heavy hitter, they have improved a fair bit now as they dont have to worry about their front rank dieing before they attack so much

If you take 3 level 2 Shamans you will have every Beast spell as they can't be duplicated. Then you can get better Leadership with the Lord General as an 8 for your army leaves me worried.

One Shaman will have the Transformation spell and it won't be the level 4. If you have the 4, 1 , 1 then you will have all Beast spells, but the level 4 could end up with it. That would mean your main caster wouldn't be able to cast if u got the spell off. With 3 level 2's you spread the spells evenly meaning if u get the spell off u only lose 2 spell choices versus 4. Get a high roll on Power dice, throw out some mid level spells to draw dispel dice then hit with Transformation spell at the end.

mightygnoblar
27-06-2010, 16:23
i really dont think that the extra point of leadership will be that big of a deal for the points involved to be honest, i may only be Ld8 but some decent spreading round of characters will see this across the whole army, and will the re-roll from the battle standard and the abillity to deploy all of my units deep if need be for the stubborn i am not too worried.

The main reason for the lore of beasts if the unit buffs, the transformation is just a nice bonus in my oppinon....i think i would like to keep the level four for the added bonus to cast and dispell...but i am considering dropping one wizard and uping the othe to level two on beast for more buffs

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
29-06-2010, 23:41
actually, i think minos are looking to recieve quite a big boost. With them being one of the few monstrous infantry that have a decent weapon skill and okay initiative they should fair fairly well. What you arent considering is that the average point game is likely to go up to 2500-3000 points, so units of 6 are looking to be more affordable.

also, i would definitely take one of the rule book lores, the lore of wild still looks pretty poor tbh. Lore of shadows or beast should work well, or even a combination, i've used shadows heavily, although admitedly with WoC but the debuffs work alot better than ud expect, the first spell also helps alot vs gunlines and high weapon skill, high initiative opponents, it annoys high elf players when they lose their rerolls.

also, the transformation spell is possibly one of THE riskiest spells in the game. someone might let you cast the spell, you charge, win combat, the unit you charged is stubborn. Next turn they dispel it, you have a shaman stuck in combat with a whole unit, so, i would look at it like you are at the moment, a nice bonus, but the lore is more for buffing

i will agree centigors are worse, and so are razorgors, however, razorgors at least have a good toughness and lots of wounds, so they should be able to pull through, dunno if they get stomp attacks, be a bit wierd if they didnt.