PDA

View Full Version : My new Dark Elf friends

tremulant
26-06-2010, 05:12
Hey guys! So I decided to build up a druchii force for the coming of 8th edition, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I bought the batallion (12 wars, 16 xbowmen, 5 cold one nights, 20 corsairs with 2xhand) and then I also picked up Lokhir. What should I add to my force next? I know for sure I'm going to want a hydra or two, but what at this point would be most beneficial?

Also, I went for a little bit of a unique (from what I have seen) paint scheme. I'm using light/pale blues and dark blues as primarys and using warlock pink for cloth, little details, and highlights. Are there slaaneshian DE cults at all? Because they look very slaaneshy :P

Thanks for any help guys!

Ultimate Life Form
26-06-2010, 05:15
Are there slaaneshian DE cults at all? Because they look very slaaneshy :P

You should check out the Cult of Pleasures from Storm of Chaos which is proof to me that DE are in reality covert Chaos Elves though I'm sure to be contradicted. Morathi would go really well with the theme.

Vandelan
26-06-2010, 05:22
-Stock up on blocks of warriors, make sure you field at least three blocks of 20 in most games that you can. Give them shields.

-Crossbowmen rock. Don't forget to give them shields too. It'll help them live more against missile units and not get squashed in combat considering they're not bad to begin with.

-Pick up a sorceress, it's always a good idea to get a caster.

-If you're into war machines, pick up at least one RBT, they are just great to have.

Starting off a Dark Elf army in my experience means buying a battalion or two considering how great of a deal it is. Keep it simple at first and then figure out what you want to beef up. If you want skirmishers, pick up shades. If you want fast cav, pick up some Dark Riders. Dark Elves are a very fun and versatile army.

As far as painting is concerned, just take a warrior and paint one as a test and see how it works.

willowdark
26-06-2010, 05:46
RBTs are not only great in game but they are fantastic models. Buy 3 of them.

Buy a Hydra too, sure, but if you're like me you'll want to play without it as often as not. In those cases you should go with 3 RBTs, because you can.

Seriously... DO IT! :)

Dark Riders are good, but I usually take them without RxBs. It's not that RxBs aren't good on DRs, but if you have 2 units of 5 that's 50 points, and I just don't see the real benefit when I could get one more unit of Harpies for just about that much. I'd much rather have 3 units of 5 Harpies than 2 and 2 DRs w/ RxBs. That's just me.

Either way you'll probably want to buy Glade Riders and work in those extra Corsair/Warrior bits left over from the battalion. For some reason the Warrior sprues have banner shaft on every one, which looks plenty like a real spear, so you should have more than enough to build Warriors w/ spears and have left overs for your DR.

If you do go with RxBs, which is certainly fine, use the Corsair bits.

Bottom line: Glade Riders + Battalion bits = Dark Riders.

tremulant
26-06-2010, 06:08
Thanks for the dark rider tip willowdark! I was thinking of getting dark riders but goddamn are they expensive/ugly >.< I may have to try the glade rider trick! And I was actually thinking of getting Morathi (in response to the poster whose name I cannot remember >.<)... Is she worth the points?

willowdark
26-06-2010, 06:13
For me, the biggest deterant about Morathi has always been that she's limited to Dark Magic. But that might be moot in 8th since you can't pick and choose your lore anymore. I might find myself limited to Dark Magic regardless.

But you can easily build an effective magic phase with a custom Supreme Sorceress. Hell! call her Morathi. Take a Lvl4 on Peg with Focus Familiar and Pendant. That's what I run and she was effective in 7th, and I expect even more in 8th.

The Inevitable One
26-06-2010, 07:08
Are there slaaneshian DE cults at all? Because they look very slaaneshy :P

Yes, there are Dark Elf Slaanesh cults, but there are very few. Most believe that Dark Elves have no boundaries, but they do and worshipping Slaanesh is crossing the line. Most Dark Elves though worship the Elven pantheon, focusing more Cytharai (or Underworld gods) than the Cadai (or Heaven gods).