PDA

View Full Version : 8th Edition Army Composition Clarification Please

chilledenuff
27-06-2010, 08:46
I've not read the 8th edition BRB yet (I've preordered it though :)) and I'm all excited about 8th. I wish to make army lists but before I can I need to clarify the breakdown.
Now I've read lots of topics about the changes and I think this is correct

Percentage based now, 25% on characters but I'm not sure of the hero/lord split
At least 1 core unit
Percentages for special/rare (but I'm not sure about amounts) and you can't have more than 3 of any choice (which still is affected by 2 for 1 (ie gobbo bolt throwers)
In addition to this army books still trump rulebook when it comes to 0-1 etc

Can anyone clarify so i can start writing lists to use as soon as I get the book?

Many thanks if you can, but please don't break forum rules about posting rules:angel:. You can PM me if you think replying will.

Kalandros
27-06-2010, 08:50
Its simple really:

Ignore all slots. Special choices can be duplicated up to 3 times (max 3 empire cannons), Rare choices can be duplicated twice (max 2 war hydras) this is for games up to 2999 pts. Starting at 3000 pts this restriction doubles up for 6 & 4.

On top of that:

25% Lords & their Mounts (hero dragon counts for Lord points)
25% Heroes & their mounts

25% MINIMUM Core that COUNT as core.
Assassins, Corpse Carts, Dire Wolves, Chaos Warhounds, etc do NOT count toward the minimum 25%

50% Maximum Specials
25% Maximum Rares

And of course you are limited to a total of all these categories for 100%~

Ultimate Life Form
27-06-2010, 08:51
Er, no. Most of this is wrong I'm afraid.

- You must have at least 3 non-character units in your army.
- You may not have more than 3 times the same special and 2 times the same rare in normal sized games.

- At least 25% of your points total must be spent on Core.
- You may take up to 25% Lords.
- You may take up to 25% Heroes.
- You may take up to 50% Special.
- You may take up to 25% Rare.

That's all as far as I can tell.

chilledenuff
27-06-2010, 08:54
Cool, thank you very much, have some kudos !
One question remains, the 25% for lords and the 25% for heroes, does that mean I can potentially spend 50% on characters?

Kalandros
27-06-2010, 08:56
Yes, limited to 50% Characters but can't mix leftover points from Lords into Heroes and vice versa~

chilledenuff
27-06-2010, 09:01
again, many thanks.. I think we can probably all ignore this thread from now on.

bazragh elfburna
27-06-2010, 09:31
I was under the impression that it was 25% for all characters in total if its, 25% for lords and 25% for heroes then Vampires just became insanely powerfull??

Ultimate Life Form
27-06-2010, 09:35
Not really as they're still more limited than they were in 7th.

Commisar
27-06-2010, 14:32
I have some questions.

I play Empire.

IF I have a single Unit of Flagellents and a Warrior Preist, do the Flagelents come out of my core or my rare allowance?

Do Huntsmen, who have the rule that they dont count as a mandatory core choice, still count towards my core percentage?

Do detachments count there point toward the percentages?

Do they count toward there own unit type (IE core) or there perents unit type (which could be special)

Skywave
27-06-2010, 19:35
I have some questions.

I play Empire.

IF I have a single Unit of Flagellents and a Warrior Preist, do the Flagelents come out of my core or my rare allowance?

Do Huntsmen, who have the rule that they dont count as a mandatory core choice, still count towards my core percentage?

Do detachments count there point toward the percentages?

Do they count toward there own unit type (IE core) or there perents unit type (which could be special)

One unit of Flagellants count as core if there's a Priest, thus count for the core %.

Huntsmen do count as core, don't know where you see they don't ? :confused:

Detachments are said to not count for minimum core, so for now (until the faq/errata) they would not count toward the % of core. They are still core unit so don't take special % either.

WGMelchior
27-06-2010, 19:38
The warrior priest allows you to take one unit of Flaggies as either Rare or Core. If you pick them as Core they become a proper Core unit and counts towards your minimum. It's always best to pick Core for Flaggies since there's no max for that.

Commisar
27-06-2010, 19:39
Huntsmen do count as core, don't know where you see they don't ? :confused:

Whoops.

I was somehow sure that was a rule. But now I look in the book, it isnt, so. Ignore me.

Cheers for the other answers though. Makes it easyer to fit a 30 strong unit of Flail waveing nutcases in the list if they are keeping there status as core.