PDA

View Full Version : 2500 8th. WoC (Norse maraurder style)

agger
27-06-2010, 13:17
This is an attempt to come up with a strong marauder based WoC list, that doesn't go over the top... Hopefully it should be fun to both play and play against!

The theme is Norsca raiders, mainly wordshipping Nurlge and khorne.

Chaos Lord - 330
MoN, PoN, Chaos Runesword

Fetus the leechlord - 185

Sorcerer - 135
lvl. 2, power familiar

Exalted Hero BSB - 159
MoN, Halberd, BSB

60 Marauders with MoN - 360
Gw, Full command

60 Marauders with MoN - 360
Gw, Full Command

Warshrine - 130

30 Marauders of Khone - 210
MoK, Flails, Full command

30 Marauders of khorne - 210
MoK, Flails, Full Command

Scyla anfyngrimm - 105

10 chaos warhounds - 60
10 chaos warhounds - 60
5 chaos warhounds - 30

10 Marauder Horsemen 156
trowing axes, musician

total - 2490

- The Lord: He is horribly expensice, but should make a cool centerpeice (Gailic/Viking style shield bearers etc.), and with WS 9 and MoN most things will be strugling just to hit him. He'll go in one of the big MoN Marauder units. Does the PoN prevent him from the protection of "Look out sir", if so it's out!

- Fetus: is a bit of a wild card, cause he's basicly a wizard who won't be casting much, since his other abilities are too cool to miss by seeing him blow up... a regrenerating marauder horde with poisionues S 5 attacks and MoN is pretty sick! He'll stand next to the Lord for protection

- Sorcerer and BSB: These two goes in the other big unit of MoN Maraurders. Maybe I should stick that common 4+ wardsave on the BSB? He is pretty though, but on the other hand, It seems pretty obvious that 8th. will see a lot character sniping!

- Marauders of Nurgle: these two units should be pretty hard to break for almost everything, expecially since one of them has reg. 5+, and they are both hard to hit. a part of me says that I should go bigger, and have one 80-100 man unit and more smaller units to complement the big one... I really don't know since I haven't played against or with one of these "Hordes" yet. I fear that terrain will prevent me from being offensive, but on the other hand they just seem so hard hitting AND impossible to rout that they tempt me ;)The warshrine attempts to give the non-fetus uppowerd unit something nasty too...

- Marauders of Khorne: acts as flankers to the big units or buffers, while the flails are nice if I play them right, they do make them a one trick pony... I have to think about that some more...

- Scyla and all the rest: Warhounds provide cover, or goes down the flank with scyla and the horsemen to try and reach enemy arteliry/delay enemy flankers. Spawns really DO suck now all strike in initiative order, but I need something to represent a were (that short story about a merchant from marienburg visiting a norsca village in the last WoC army book was really cool!)

Thats about it... I'm tempted to go bigger on a single unit of MoN marauders as I mentioned earlier, making room for more fun stuff... also, to sum up my rule questions:

1. Do the palanquin of Nurgle prevent my lord from hiding in the infantry units?
2. Are cavalry allowed to fire in two ranks too?
3. I ījust brought the WoC army book a few days ago, so I'm still new to them. Can marked characters join units of other marks?

What do you think besides that?

immortal git
27-06-2010, 23:36
Right, people may correct me on this so dont take it too heavily but 60 seems like too many, im running them in 40's in a very similar list, you can take a look out sir while on a palaquin, fast cav can fire in two ranks and yes you can mix and match marks. apart from that you have nothing massive in the army, nothing to end a large target like a dragon or something ide suggest a giant of slaanesh, it will compliment the list and keep theme if you ask me.

Brady
28-06-2010, 00:18
Give the spawn mark of S and that way their suckish initiative makes no difference :)

agger
28-06-2010, 09:35
Right, people may correct me on this so dont take it too heavily but 60 seems like too many, im running them in 40's in a very similar list, you can take a look out sir while on a palaquin, fast cav can fire in two ranks and yes you can mix and match marks. apart from that you have nothing massive in the army, nothing to end a large target like a dragon or something ide suggest a giant of slaanesh, it will compliment the list and keep theme if you ask me.

I'm starting to believe you are right about the numbers... A ASF giant is mighty tempting, I'll just have to figure out how to model one :)

Give the spawn mark of S and that way their suckish initiative makes no difference :)

But also horribly expensive for what they do ;)

I'll return later with an altered list, thanks for the comments guys.

Brady
28-06-2010, 10:04
I'm starting to believe you are right about the numbers... A ASF giant is mighty tempting, I'll just have to figure out how to model one :)

But also horribly expensive for what they do ;)

I'll return later with an altered list, thanks for the comments guys.

True, but then the slaanesh spawn is still cheaper than Scyla annfringmybob

thesheriff
28-06-2010, 17:10
youve got 180 marauders, make them units of 40 instead of units of 30 and 60. this will nerf the opponenets choices. I would take 4 units of 40, and give all of them flails and MOK. This will give you slightly better initative for when you go against orcs and the like.
MOS Giants are a must in marauder armies, they give you a bit of muscle. Or even shaggoths
Wulfrik is anouther must, especially in a marauder army. Outflanking marauders?. What not to like.
and finally, in a 3k list, i would take some ogres with great weapons, for some extra strength

hope this helps

thesheriff

Zaszz
28-06-2010, 18:00
I dunno people have said you will have trouble against a dragon etc, but really I think a dragon crashing into a steadfast unit of marauders who can wound on a 6 regardless of tougness in the new edition will take down or run off most monsters. With a MoN he will be hitting on 4's with a good ws beast, so your losses shouldn't be too severe, then you attack back with two ranks, and your character, also some of your units had GW's right? I think even if he beats you 2-3 times you will eventually beat him or break him, and hold until that happens with stead fast, as you only need 1 rank to get that vs a dragon. I mean you start with a static rez of 3 ranks and a standard so he has to cause 5 wounds and you none just to win a combat. Most monsters base attacks vs MoN will probably not cause 5 and eventually his D6 thunder stomp will roll low.

Vsurma
28-06-2010, 19:01
The marauders are fine against a thirster to the front, on the flank they don't fare so well.

agger
28-06-2010, 22:25
Thanks for all the comments guys, has got me thinking.

I'll return with a modified list, but first of some considerations.

After much speculation, the giant option is not for me. I simply don't think anything without some kind of save is going to be around long enough in 8th. to be worth its' points. A unit of regular empire archers could take the giant out in one round of shooting if they got lucky... and I don't even dare to imagine the slaugther all the ekstra cannons and bolthrowers would do. All spawns are out for the same reason. the Were aspect will be represented on the war alter (or alters).

Fetus or the regular sorcerer might be going too, since they might not actually complement each other (I need to reread the magic rumor and jump around with ideas :))

The palanquin of Nurgle is a darling I might need to kill, it makes for a great conversion, but the points might be better spend elsewhere... then again, the visual aspect is important too!

Also, Flails are out. with random charge distance and steadfast all around the use of a one hit wunda weapon is vastly decreased...

immortal git
29-06-2010, 09:39
to be honest, keeping festus may be a great idea, the marauders dont last well against...anything, a unit of peasent bowmen reduced mine from 30 to eight, and what a roll it was, but then the eight killed the entire unit but the regen would be so helpfull, im considering him for my list too

thesheriff
29-06-2010, 09:51
Festus is good, I would take him anyway, especially in a naked marauder army

agger
29-06-2010, 11:36
Okay, I have made some major twists to the list, although I think it fights pretty much like the prevoius one.

Sorcerer Lord - 320
Lvl. 4, MoN, Blood Of Tzzeenebntjsj

Chaos Lord - 280
MoN, Runesword

Festus - 185

Exhalted Hero BSB
MoN, Halberd, Banner of Rage - 185

50 Marauders of Nurgle - 300
Great weapons, MoN, Full command

50 Marauders of Nurgle - 300

50 Marauders of Khorne - 300

3 Ogres - 180
MoK, Great weapons, Chaos Armour

3 x 10 Chaos Warhounds - 180

2 Warshrines - 260

- Lords: Yes it might be better to have a sorcerer with another mark, but I have come to the realisation that the Nurgle magics suits my army pretty well. It's anti armour and can give regreneration, betveen fetus and the lord I have all the spells at my disposel, and blood of T makes casting relatively safe (unless it gets FAQ which would only be fair, since it can alter miscasts far better now...). I might turn the chaos lord defensive instead of offensive, with a 4+ ward and a halberd instead of the runesword... Both lords go with a mark of nurgle unit.

- Heroes: betveen Festus and the BSB the marauder unit they join suddenly becomes very very strong! WS 4 S 5 poison attacks with frenzy is pretty nice :) Maybe defense should have been valued higher though... I don't believe the BSB bearer gets the benefir of 5+ reg?

- Troops: Warhounds screens (making MoN marauders pretty much safe from BS requiring fire...) Marauders march and fight and die in droves, but hopefully they win in the end... 3 units might be too little, but I'm afraid of going down to 40 in number...

- The rest: Warshrines try to buff up marauder units without Festus, and stay on the unit flanks to act as buffers against big monsters. Ogres acts as flankers and or buffers, or try to get to gribs with enemy cavalry. They might not be woth it at all, but I came to the realisation that I needed more diversity than different marked marauders :)

Better? worse? unfluffy? please let me know :)

theSkullduggery1
29-06-2010, 14:32
I recently played a game where I used a horde of 50 Khorne Marauders with GWs (only took a musician), they perfomed amazingly. I think 50 is a good size, as they got shot at prior to combat so they needed more than 30-40, but 60 probably would have been too many.

On the other hand, your unit has regen/buffs so yours might survive better and let you drop them to 40...I'd play a couple games each way and decide which you like better.

I've never played with Ogres so I don't know what to tell you there, I enjoy Trolls though...two saves give EotG roll, yes please! I put my BSB on a Juggy in that unit with Helm of many eyes (since the unit is already stupid) and a GW, then some type of ward save.

I'm not a fan of giving the BSB a magic banner because in this edition they are very important and yours has no defense.

immortal git
30-06-2010, 08:12
ogres are top, three with two hand weps and a MoK wiped a unit of 30 clanrats in two turns