PDA

View Full Version : So... Parry?

Thoras
27-06-2010, 20:36
From the rumor round up on 8th,

Parry

* The hand weapon & shield combination grants a 6+ Ward Save in combat against infantry units to the front only. It provides no benefit if you are attacked in the flank or rear and does not work against impact hits and Stomp/ Thunderous Stomp attacks. This replaces the +1 to Armour Save gained by fighting with HW & shield. Units with stupidity or Frenzy may not Parry.

As ward saves do not stack normally, you won't get any benefit from Parry if you already have a better ward save.

It is not a second ward save (afaik).
It is not a ward save ontop of an armour save (afaik)
It does not stack (afaik).

So just to confirm, can you use an armour save and then the ward save as per how ward saves and armour saves run at the moment?

Oberon
27-06-2010, 20:39
You can. It's either armour save+ward, or armour save+regen, not for example regen+ward.

stashman
27-06-2010, 21:15
My Savage Orcs with Bows and Shields are made with love only :D

Oberon
27-06-2010, 21:17
One could ask what for they have their shields though, as they already have a ward from their warpaint? Parry-ward doesn't improve the ward you might already have... I think.

Coldblood666
27-06-2010, 21:19
What I dont get is that I hear that the parry ward is not stackable. But then in the newest White Dwarf when they are talking about the 3k Chaos Warrior army list with the picture of part of the army it says that the mark of Tzeentch stacks to make it a 5+ parry. What gives? Whats the truth of this matter?

Oberon
27-06-2010, 21:26
MoT improves a ward save if you already have one, and gives you one if you don't. Parry gives you a ward save, but doesn't improve the one you might already have. So the logic goes: first you get your parry-ward, then MoT improves it. :)

Coldblood666
27-06-2010, 21:34
Weird. Yea the exact words on page 49 of the White Dwarf are "Mark of Tzeentch combines rather ingeniously with the parry save from their hand weapon and shield to give them a 5+ ward save in combat".

stashman
27-06-2010, 21:35
One could ask what for they have their shields though, as they already have a ward from their warpaint? Parry-ward doesn't improve the ward you might already have... I think.

My savage with shields was made for 7th ed, when hw+shield gave 5+ armoursave :)

Tae
27-06-2010, 22:08
What I dont get is that I hear that the parry ward is not stackable. But then in the newest White Dwarf when they are talking about the 3k Chaos Warrior army list with the picture of part of the army it says that the mark of Tzeentch stacks to make it a 5+ parry. What gives? Whats the truth of this matter?

MoT improves a ward save if you already have one, and gives you one if you don't. Parry gives you a ward save, but doesn't improve the one you might already have. So the logic goes: first you get your parry-ward, then MoT improves it. :)

Weird. Yea the exact words on page 49 of the White Dwarf are "Mark of Tzeentch combines rather ingeniously with the parry save from their hand weapon and shield to give them a 5+ ward save in combat".

Also remember this is White Dwarf, which should be considered to be on a par with Wikipedia for reliability of information (though in this case they actually got it right!)

Coldblood666
27-06-2010, 22:32
So what do you guys think? Are Chaos Warriors with shields and MoT worth it? Or would you go wit a.h.w? lol I have to assemble 24 of them but I'm having trouble deciding how to equip them.

Tae
27-06-2010, 22:40
I'm personally going with Halberds and MoS, but that's because it fits the theme.

Honestly virtally every set out of Warriors has its advantages and disadvantages, it depends what you want to do with them really. Though if you are giving them MoT I would almost certainly give them shields, as they're not there to be uber choppy.

Harwammer
28-06-2010, 08:12
My savage with shields was made for 7th ed, when hw+shield gave 5+ armoursave :)
In 8th frenzied troops don't get to use parry and you still get the basic shield save in combat so your savage orcs aren't missing out too badly.

To address the other issue I read a lot of the rule book and it seems parry is a 6+ ward in frontal combat. There is no reason MoTz wouldn't stack (as per MoTz's rules).