PDA

View Full Version : Black Coach Ability

Nocculum
27-06-2010, 23:44
It has just occured to me, that aside from any forthcoming FAQ...

Will the Black Coach now potentially steal all 2d6 pool dice? :confused:

More of a general discussion than rules, although no objection to it being moved to the later on reflection.

Malorian
27-06-2010, 23:48
Yes, as it stands it can.

Gonzoyola
27-06-2010, 23:48
I saw an 8th Edition game where it seems it was settled that you roll all dice. The coaches ability draws on all pooled dice to be shared throughout the army, since no caster generates their own PD now, until an FAQ is put out, its best to play it as all dice are rolled, which can be both good and bad depending on how you look at it from the vampires perspective

Finn
28-06-2010, 00:53
Well, with as few power dice as I've been rolling (under 7 every turn except one for 3 games... :shifty:), I'm not terribly concerned. That is indeed the way it works now (excepting any that may be generated by Master of the Black Arts).

Gonzoyola
28-06-2010, 01:02
Are you suggesting that power dice generated the MotBA isn't consumed naturally? I am a VC player and I would argue that myself. Casters do not generate PD for themselves anymore, it all goes into a community pool, which will all be rolled

Finn
28-06-2010, 01:41
Until the errata comes out, I'll be playing it as a pair of dice that only he can use, as it doesn't say to add them to the power pool. Since the Black Coach only absorbs from the power pool, and those dice aren't added to the power pool, then yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

I'll grant that they probably should be rolled for, but that's not what the rules say to do. An errata on it is certainly necessary, as it's clearly a result of mismatched rules systems.

Skywave
28-06-2010, 01:52
Since the Black Coach only absorbs from the power pool.

No. The Coach absorbs every dices from the pool and dices from any wizards withing 6" of it.

Gonzoyola
28-06-2010, 01:53
Well then I would consider that your own house rule, but as the 8th edition rulebook stands now, I have seen it specifically mentioned that it says casters do NOT generate their own power dice, and as the dice generated count towards your max pool of 12, I think it is safe to say the intention is clear.

All in all, no REAL 8th edition game can be played until the FAQs come out, so until then we can all enjoy our mock ups

@skywave: Wizards do not generate their own power dice any more, so the errata will surely be just a snip of the wizards within 6" rule, The problem I have with this though is, if they just snip it, we will surely have other VC players in the same mind state as finn , and we will have one of our first topics for ruleslawyers to butt heads on

Finn
28-06-2010, 02:38
I'm simply stating that you get a minimum of 2 more dice, and only he can use them. Just because the power pool rules changed it doesn't lift the "for itself" restriction in the wording of the bloodline power. I don't think you can reasonably put forth any intended method for it to work because of the disparity in the magic systems of the separate editions. There's just how Player A plays it, how Player B plays it, how you agree with your opponent that it works, and how organizers say it works for their events.

I'm just saying that it's not possible for anybody to be wrong on this one until we have an errata, and everybody is correct - barring egregious misinterpretations of the rules.

No. The Coach absorbs every dices from the pool and dices from any wizards withing 6" of it.
I pretty much ignored that part of the rule because it doesn't matter anymore.

Omniassiah
28-06-2010, 02:54
@skywave: Wizards do not generate their own power dice any more, so the errata will surely be just a snip of the wizards within 6" rule, The problem I have with this though is, if they just snip it, we will surely have other VC players in the same mind state as finn , and we will have one of our first topics for ruleslawyers to butt heads on

Wizards do have the ability to channel spell dice now and the black coach would be restricted to dice generated that way with in 6"

Gonzoyola
28-06-2010, 03:19
Why would you say that part of the rule wouldn't apply, when you are arguing that the vampire generates the dice himself? In that case he would roll if it was within 6 inches...

On top of channeling, I believe those wizards channel those additional dice into the pool of 2d6 dont they?

Finn
28-06-2010, 03:21
It would roll for the channelled dice anyway, yes.

I would indeed play it that if he were within 6" of the coach those 2 would be rolled for, but I wouldn't have him near it so continued to ignore that part of the rule :P.

Kalandros
28-06-2010, 04:00
Doesn't matter who generates what dice, they're all pooled together.

Gonzoyola
28-06-2010, 19:46
Thus all PD in each player's phase are rolled for by the Coach's ability