PDA

View Full Version : 8th Wood Elves-2250

Preacher
28-06-2010, 17:33
I'm really interested to see how the Wood Elves will play come 8th. I know there's a lot of chatter about them being beaten with a nerf bat(I think some of the issues are valid, but Wood Elves adapt), but I'm ready, willing and eager to try to prove as much of it wrong as possible.

After some tweaking and thinking this is what I've come up with. All C&C is greatly welcome, as long as its constructive.

Lords

Spellweaver
- Wand of the Wych Elm

Highborn
-Alter Kindred
-Bow of Loren
-Arcane Bodkins
-Shield of Ptolos
-Light Armour
-Great Weapon

Total Lords - 544/562

Hero

Noble
-Briarsheath
-Light Armour
-Shield

Total Hereos 153/562

Core

10 Glade Guard
Musician

10 Glade Guard
Musician

20 Glade Guard
Musician

12 Dryads

12 Dryads

5 Glade Riders
Musician

Total Core 915/562

Special

10 Wardancers
Musician

10 Wardancers
Musician

3 Warhawks

Total Special 494

Rare

6 Waywatchers

Thats what I've got so far.

Spellweaver will most likely be using Lore of Life.

Turn 1 I will need to drop any and all warmachines. I have 61 arrows a turn to fire, plus the Hail of Doom. So hopefully they will not survive all that long. After war machines are gone, it will be about concentrated fire to 'soften' targets for charges with the Wardancers and Dryads with both have I 6, so they should still be getting to strike first a lot of the time.

The Alters, Warhawks, Glade Riders and Waywatchers are for War Machine hunting, mage killing, lone character killing, fast cav killing, small unit killing and general disruption.

I would love some thoughts on the list, let me know what you think.

..oh for those of you who maybe haven't read the BRB or the magic items list, the Shield of Ptolos gives a 1+ save against missile attacks. The Highborn will no doubt come under heavy fire, figured it was the best way to keep him safe and still let me have the machine gun build.

Your Mum Rang
28-06-2010, 19:11
I would worry against big units of anything as you have very little staying power. Wardancers and Dryads are much less effective this time around.

Tae
28-06-2010, 19:24
Also in 1 of the 6 missions in the BRB you'll auto-lose.

Since you get 2 points for the general then 1 for each banner, and then when you get down to 2 points you lose. You have no additional banners so are at 2 to begin with, thus will auto-lose.

However that's only a 1/6 mission and I'm sure in friendly games you could probably agree to simply re-roll it (which is a shame as I personally quite like the mission).

As to the list, as mentioned above I think you will find in 8th Ed that there are more armies that can simply shrug off your bowfire now and will be easily able to catch your units. And with VP only being awarded once the whole unit is dead (no half points) I do think you'll struggle.

Preacher
28-06-2010, 19:50
I am aware of the mission in the BRB, the list is for friendly games around the shop. I will agree though, the mission is fun, although WE in general, are hard pressed to 'compete' in that one. All of our banners will be on T3 models with no armour saves.

Well, big units of anything have been the bane of WE armies since the book was released in 6th and us WE players got through that, I agree though that it has escalated some with 8th and is a bigger challenge now, but I'm up for it.

61 arrows in the first turn, is a lot to 'shrug off', 40 or so STR 4 arrows if they wander too close isn't that bad is it? But again I do with you agree to an extent.

The Wood Elf has never been about staying power, so it will be interesting to see how they fare this time around, when it seems staying will be needed by all armies.

Tactics just have to change, since we can't really screen troops anymore its become deathly important to eliminate War Machines and missile troops ASAP.

I agree 100% that Wood Elves lost their edge with movement, considering how fast everything will be rushing our lines, but again, adaptation is needed and thats half the fun of playing this game.