PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Beastmen 3000 pts 8th ed. list

powellnf
28-06-2010, 21:47
Let me know what you think, picked up the beastmen army book yesterday, gave it a whirl- I wanted a competitive ambush-heavy list with a good fluffy feel to it as well. Let me know what you think:

Beastlord (249)
-Two Hand Weapons, Heavy Armor, Axes of Khorgor, Horn of the Great Hunt

Wargor (151)
-Heavy Armor, BSB, Manbane Standard, Shield

Great Bray-Shaman (275)
-Lvl 3 Wizard (Lore of Beasts), 2 Dispell Scrolls, Stone of Spite

20 Gors (175)
-Additional Hand Weapons, Standard Bearer, Musician

20 Gors (175)

20 Gors (175)
-Shields, Standard Bearer, Musician

20 Gors (175)

10 Ungor raiders (69)
-Short Bows, Musician, Halfhorn

10 Ungor raiders (69)

20 Ungors (135)
-Spears, Shields, Full Command

20 Ungors (135)

7 x 5 Warhounds (30 each)

6 Minotaurs (354)
-Additional Hand Weapons

6 Minotaurs (378)
-Great Weapons

Ghorgon (275)

Total Points: 3000
Total Models: 191 Models

The idea is to plop the BSB and lord into the two Gor units with shields, and to use the 35 warhounds, 10 of the ungor raiders, and 20 of the ungor spearmen to screen them and my ghorgon as I march across the table spouting magic from my bray-shaman.
I will then keep 20 spearmen, 10 raiders, and 40 gors with 2x hand weapons ready to ambush, which can pose a huge threat to the opponent with multiple charges into the side/rear of his units and general annoyance with short bows at range.
The 2 big units of minotaurs and the ghorgon work their way up the sides of the table, protecting my flanks until everything hits close combat, at which point mayhem ensues (especially if my ambush rolls go well!).

powellnf
30-06-2010, 05:03
Just realized that in 8th ed. you can't take 2 dispell scrolls...list updated:

Beastlord (252)
-Two Hand Weapons, Heavy Armor, Shield, Axes of Khorgor, Horn of the Great Hunt

Wargor (155)
-Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, BSB, Manbane Standard, Shield

Great Bray-Shaman (279)
-Lvl 3 Wizard (Lore of Beasts), Two Hand Weapons, 1 Dispell Scroll, Stone of Spite

2x 20 Gors (175 x 2)

2x 19 Gors (167 x 2)

2x 10 Ungor raiders (69 x 2)

2x 20 Ungors (135 x 2)

8x 5 Warhounds (30 x 8)

6 Minotaurs (354)
-Additional Hand Weapons

6 Minotaurs (378)
-Great Weapons

Ghorgon (275)

Total Points: 3000
Total Models: 194 Models

DarkTyrany22
30-06-2010, 08:14
You do realize that as is you'd have to ambush the HW+S Gors because they are less numerically than the 2HW Gors, right? Also, why not a level 4 Great Bray? You can't beat more spell choice and another chance at additional PD.

I'm sure there is a better setup for your Beastlord, although I don't have the book in front of me atm... but off the bat I'd say 2HW is pointless with the Axes of Khorgor on him as well. More feedback on this point later.

Edit: Back for more. =P

If you're going to use 20 of the Ungor spears for screening, why give them full command? There's really no point to it.

As for your Beastlord's equipment, Axes of Khorgor are a terrible choice for him. He will probably get hatred from Primal Fury anyways and there are better ways to get more attacks. Also, with the way bound spells work in 8th I'd drop the Horn as well. Give him the Ramhorn Helm, Stonecrushcer Mace, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armor and Shield. That's a 1+ armor save that gives you extra attacks when you pass the save along with a whopping S8 attack. You could also go with Brass Cleaver/Steel Claws + Gouge Tusks, or perhaps try one of the common magic item weapons. But your Beastlord as is is definitely far from competitive.

I'd also try and make your BSB a Gorebull rather than a Wargor. They're much better both offensively and defensively.

powellnf
01-07-2010, 14:09
Ah, very good points- ones that were brought up on another forum as well regarding the beastlord and gor units, as well as the command upgrades on the ungors. Here's my revised list, although in order to get greater numbers I've nerfed my great bray and made him a standard bray, elsewise the points wouldn't fit:

Beastlord (249)
-Heavy Armor, Shield, Stonecrusher Mace, Ramhorn Helm, Gnarled Hide

Wargor (155)
-Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, BSB, Manbane Standard, Shield

Bray-Shaman (160)
-Lvl 2 Wizard (Lore of Beasts), 1 Dispell Scroll, Stone of Spite

2x 25 Gors (215 x 2)

2x 29 Gors (247 x 2)

2x 10 Ungor raiders (60 x 2)
-Short Bows

30 Ungors (189)
-Spears, Shields, Musician, Standard

27 Ungors (171)
-Spears, Shields, Musician, Standard

6 Minotaurs (364)
-Additional Hand Weapons, Musician

6 Minotaurs (388)
-Great Weapons, Musician

Ghorgon (275)

Total Points: 2995
Total Models: 201 Models

LaurentleBete
01-07-2010, 23:43
I think in 8th edition, bigger is better size wize for your units. It's better to have fewer, bigger units then lots of smaller ones. Kind of a kick in the teeth if you want ambush heavy though. A trick I can't wait to try is a horde of 50 ungor spearmen, with a wargor BSB leading them with the Beast Banner. If you get off the Lore of Beasts signature spell on them, thats a helluva lot of strength 5 attacks, most likely with hatred too.

I'd probably try to squeeze in another bray shaman too, all the more tries to cast that all important signature spell. Not quite sure where you'll find the points though.

Lotl Botl
02-07-2010, 20:35
arguably the best part of your army is your big gribbly monsters in the rare section of your book, and I've noticed you only have 1 in 3,000 pt army. so i recommend you add some big lumbering behemoths to your list, but then again if you consider the monsters not fluffy or fitting for an ambush army ignore this completely (fluff > competitiveness in my book) so whatever floats your boat

popisdead
02-07-2010, 20:40
going this heavy on Gors I dont' know why you haven't taken Khazrak.

Also Axes of Khorgor + hatred at LD 9 with a re-roll are moot, you've bought items that do no benefit to you.

sounds like you should start small with beasts and learn the army more. It's all about combo charges.

unit + support charger