PDA

View Full Version : How to select the best army to my play style in 8th?

sim1killa
29-06-2010, 01:05
I was considering getting back into war hammer after almost 2 full editions away from the game. I once played dwarfs, but long sold them back during 6th edition.
I am considering started one of four armies. either empire, warriors of chaos, dwarfs, and skaven. All for different reasons.
empire
Pro's- large plastic model selection. balanced core and "warmachines" I love war machines.
Con's Great swords men are ungodly expensive and I don't want to create a cheese fest gun line.
Warriors of Chaos
Pro's- beast core choices, good special character choices
Con's very low model count army and limited shooting and only 1 warmachine which looking at the new rules may be ok, but a rare choice.
dwarf's
Pro's- 8th edition have really helped this army a lot. I love this armies core choices as well as its warmachines. They seem on the rise and no one plays them at my gaming club atm.
Con's- Slow. I got dislike the slow almost snails pace they have at times. I also don't want to run a gun line.
Skaven
Pro's- I love doom wheels. My favorite model in the game. If I played them I would always run 2 of them. I think it is just the coolest thing since sliced bread.
Con's The only reason I am considering this army is because that one model. I really don't want to paint 200-400 rats

I just wanted some input from experienced gamers who have an idea of what Sim

Nubl0
29-06-2010, 01:11
Haha you have the same problem with skaven as me...

Anyway the way I see it is do whatever you like the most, are you a competative or just wanna have fun? I can imagine empire being pretty fun, and I'm sure somone will direct you to a an online retailer where the Greatswords wont cost you an arm and a leg.

I myself will be starting an orc army... damn them trolls are pretty, well as pretty as a troll can be anyway :P.

~PrometheuS~
29-06-2010, 01:23
Choose an elite skaven list lol, Take storm vermin as core, and go for things like rat orges, and plague censor bearers as specails, points will add up quick, and your troop count be below 200 :p

Oh and gaint rats a easy as to paint, you can do 100 in no time at all

Asensur
29-06-2010, 01:39
Well, you have the advance in 8th edition that everybody needs to remade their strategies. I suggest you to take those 4 armies and try to make some 1000pts list at your wish.

Looking at your post, I can see you don't like gunlines (due to the static strategy of the army) and hordes (due to lazy painting). Don't worry, it seems in 8th every approach seems powerful at its way. Horde rule, 2 line shoots rule, super pwning magic rules, 2 line monster attacks rule, etc.

If I were you, I would remade a Dwarf army without gunlines. You could get some surprises with the new charge movements.

SilasOfTheLambs
29-06-2010, 05:49
I vote empire. I love empire because they are so flexible. Whatever sort of army you want to create, you can probably do it. I happen to run cav-heavy, which means I have to adjust a bit to the new rules >_<

Skaven are currently a very powerful army under the new rules, so if you want to compete, out of those three choices I recommend the rat boys.

Voss
29-06-2010, 06:16
I was considering getting back into war hammer after almost 2 full editions away from the game. I once played dwarfs, but long sold them back during 6th edition.
I am considering started one of four armies. either empire, warriors of chaos, dwarfs, and skaven. All for different reasons.
empire
Pro's- large plastic model selection. balanced core and "warmachines" I love war machines.
Con's Great swords men are ungodly expensive and I don't want to create a cheese fest gun line.

For the latter, don't. There are plenty of other options in the empire book. As to the greatswords, take something else instead- more halberdiers, or spearmen or knights. Greatswords get slightly better in that they will attack back now, but they still aren't amazing troops. These don't strike me as cons so much as preferences.

Warriors of Chaos
Pro's- beast core choices, good special character choices
Con's very low model count army and limited shooting and only 1 warmachine which looking at the new rules may be ok, but a rare choice.

Not much you can do about limited warmachines, but the chaos army does not have to be low model count. Marauders are ridiculously cheap for their stats and equipment (and can be quite nasty with the right mark), and can easily push the model count upwards. 100 marauders with flails or great weapons clock in at 500 points (80 with command and a good mark). And thats honestly a serious start for model count considerations- and you still have a large chunk of the army to choose!

dwarf's
Pro's- 8th edition have really helped this army a lot. I love this armies core choices as well as its warmachines. They seem on the rise and no one plays them at my gaming club atm.
Con's- Slow. I got dislike the slow almost snails pace they have at times. I also don't want to run a gun line.

Somewhat slow. But they charge only slightly slower than normal infantry now, and they have a few tricks to mitigate or cope with that fact. I'd take a look at a couple of the banner runes particularly.

Skaven
Pro's- I love doom wheels. My favorite model in the game. If I played them I would always run 2 of them. I think it is just the coolest thing since sliced bread.
Con's The only reason I am considering this army is because that one model. I really don't want to paint 200-400 rats

One model definitely isn't a reason to take up an army, though they do have a lot of other fun toys. And even 200 skaven is a bit excessive for an army in the 2000 point range. You _might_ hit it at 3000, but there are quite a few things you can spend those points on besides more clanrats or slaves.

Tenken
29-06-2010, 06:30
Yeah dwarves aren't actually all that slow. With the new charge distance they went from 6" to an average of 10", that's over a 50% increase! Also several of the banners can help mitigate your slowness (one gives you a move at the game start, and there's a banner that reduces enemy charges by d6, that's gunna be really good). Plus they have a few tricks, miners, rangers, and gyrocopters can all surprise your enemy. Only fault with dwarves is no magic, magic got a huge change in the new edition and the new lores are AWESOME! Poor dwarves are really missing out here. Oh also all their special infantry is practically mooted by longbeards now.

I'd say go with empire though. They have a bit of everything, and you can still take ogres as DoW (always fun). They have a nice magic item list, infantry that can (but doesn't need to) benefit from the horde rules. Cheap heavily armored knights. Great warmachines. And decent cheap characters. Overall a solid package of an army (kinda wish I had started them), and they arguably got the biggest boosts from 8th ed.

Gonzoyola
29-06-2010, 06:52
My chip is in with everyone else, if your only problem with Dwarfs is that they're slow, thats out the window, granted its a perfect situation but you could see Ironbreakers charging 15 inches, and this sounds like it could be a better edition for Dwarfs in the sense that TLoS is going to be so much nicer for shooting around your dwarf blocks that you get into combat.

Darnok
29-06-2010, 08:41
I'd say go for Empire. They seem to me to suit your taste best.

They have a varied model range, so you won't get bored with the models side. They suit your idea of play style, with being "good in everything, master in none". They have warmachines. The Goldswords can be made by using the models in the batallion and converting 10+ models from other sources.

As for the Doom Wheel: why not just get one and paint it for the showcase? There is absolutely no reason at all to start an army for every model/unit you like...