PDA

View Full Version : A very basic 8th ed. question

Penitent Engine
29-06-2010, 09:08
My mate and I were wondering about this today (and I'll use my new O&G as an example):
Is it better to have two hordes, or four twenty-strong units?

E.g., would I be better off with 40 Orcs and 40 Night Goblins or 2x20 Orcs and 2x20 Night Goblins?
(Pretend fanatics don't exist :) )

Tenken
29-06-2010, 09:16
Probably the larger units. People already field goblins in units of 30-40 anyway, a unit of 20 goblins is just a speed bump for your opponent. For the orcs it's more debatable. I'd say try a few games out each way, and see what works better for you. I don't think there's going to be a clear case of "you must have this unit this size," it's more what you can work with.

ghostline
29-06-2010, 09:18
Depends on what your facing. The way it is now is that tends to favor larger units. But if your facing a gunline army with lots of area effect weapons, id go with multiple smaller units.

Odin
29-06-2010, 12:54
Early days, but I'd suggest the best option might be to have some hordes and some smaller units. Units with HW and shield for example (especially S3 A1 troops) are still probably best fielded 5-wide and with plenty of ranks, to make best use of steadfast. Units which have more killy weapons are probably better fielded in hordes to make the most of their killing power.

For example, my new WoC list which I intend to try out as soon as I have the rulebook includes two units of Marauder infantry - one 40-man unit (4 ranks of 10) with the Mark of Khorne and Great Weapons, and one 25-man unit (5 ranks of 5) with shields and light armour (Mark of Tzeentch would be good on these guys, but mine are painted as Undivided). Both units will want to be within range of my battle standard, obviously.

The horde will hopefully win combats by killing people, even though they'll take plenty of casualties themselves (Khorne doesn't care from whence the blood flows, after all). The other unit is a more effective anvil unit, hopefully having enough ranks to keep them steadfast against most enemy units, and the shield skeeping them alive long enough for my knights to crash into the enemy's flank.

bluemage
29-06-2010, 17:12
I agree with odin. Run a unit of not as a horde but with lots of ranks to act as your anvil. Then take a somewhat killy unit of act as a hammer. GW made the hammer and anvil tactic very easy to pull off now and available to just about every army.