PDA

View Full Version : Plastic hobbits

spiderman5z
30-06-2010, 06:38
Who else wants gw to come out with some god damn plastic hobbits already! I wanna do my all hobbit host, but i cant because about 1k pts of hobbits come out to about 1k dollars worth of metal models... >_< so cmon gw make em plastic already!!!

ForgottenLore
30-06-2010, 07:02
There are many, many things I would want to see done in plastic first.

spiderman5z
30-06-2010, 07:05
plastic hobbits should be number one priority of all wargamers everywhere! no matter what game u play!

Poti'tius
30-06-2010, 08:28
It would be nice, they're damn good arger support but not good in CC, at least in WotR.
they are cheap in points and high shooting value, low armor and moving speed, but still: common!

Tuscuttar
30-06-2010, 13:34
I would be Annoyed, cause a while ago I blown my money on metal shirriffs, archers and militia (enough to play all the scenarios in Scouring of the Shire book). But personnally I think everything should be in plastic anyway, I don't see why not.

Shrapnelsmile
30-06-2010, 14:24
well done plastic hobbit archers would sell like hot cakes. If I could pick any one box set from GW for their next release, it would be Hobbit Archers. I just can't afford to buy them in metal, even from a discount site.

They would certainly add a nice flavor and splash of color to my Dwarf army.

HRM
30-06-2010, 17:04
But personnally I think everything should be in plastic anyway, I don't see why not.

I hate plastics; I break 'em WAY too easily.

- V -
30-06-2010, 18:32
I hate plastics; I break 'em WAY too easily.They are miniatures not toy soldiers, they are meant to be played with, as in regards of gaming, not as a 6 year old would play with a doll ;)

spiderman5z
30-06-2010, 18:38
They are miniatures not toy soldiers, they are meant to be played with, as in regards of gaming, not as a 6 year old would play with a doll ;)

in his defense lotr miniatures are pretty flimsy ive broken the swords and glaives and pikes off of several minis...

HRM
30-06-2010, 19:37
They are miniatures not toy soldiers, they are meant to be played with, as in regards of gaming, not as a 6 year old would play with a doll ;)

OK, I'll rephrase that. My cats and my 9 -month-old daughter break them too easily.

I just feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of metals. With plastics, it kinda feels like "$30 for six of THESE?" I know, I know - it could be worse.

- V -
30-06-2010, 21:05
in his defense lotr miniatures are pretty flimsy ive broken the swords and glaives and pikes off of several minis...So have I, it was meant as a bit of fun :D

spiderman5z
30-06-2010, 21:47
OK, I'll rephrase that. My cats and my 9 -month-old daughter break them too easily.

I just feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of metals. With plastics, it kinda feels like "$30 for six of THESE?" I know, I know - it could be worse.

except its more like 30 bucks for 24 or 30 bucks for... 8 metal hobbits =D

HRM
30-06-2010, 22:18
except its more like 30 bucks for 24 or 30 bucks for... 8 metal hobbits =D

I know, intellectually, that plastics are a better deal. Especially when I think how much my three companies of Outriders cost me... *shudder*

IllidanStormrage
01-07-2010, 00:53
i would love to see some plastic hobbit archers, but i really need them to come out with some high elves with shields that are plastic first!!!

jlmb_123
01-07-2010, 17:23
i think it'd be great. I remember somebody pointing out that it costs almost exactly the amount in pound sterling to buy them as it does in WotR points to field 24 of them.

edit: Just thought that I should mention these little devils. (http://www.miniature-heroes.co.uk/browse/mirliton-miniatures/halflings/view/hm002-mirliton-halfling-with-bows.html)

Whitwort Stormbringer
01-07-2010, 17:35
There are a few problems with them, from a business perspective.

Do they make a box of only one type of hobbit (i.e. archers, or sherrifs, or militia), or do they make a mixed set with some of each? WotR players and SBG players are likely to differ on this point - whereas it's nice to be able to get the same type of troops in bulk for WotR, no one needs 24 sherrifs in SBG.

How many people are actually interested in buying more than 1 box, which would presumeably have 24 hobbits?

Even if they did make some plastic hobbits, wouldn't you need so many of them that a proper army would still be expensive? It's not like they have a Balrog or Dragon to soak up some points the way goblins do.

They're just not an "army" race, and it would be silly and generally contrary to the established background to have them running around in full force (I know, it has happened in the books, but only very, very rarely and within the borders of the Shire).

Now, personally, I would love a set of plastic hobbits, but they're not at the top of my list for LotR plastics (and I doubt they're at the top of GW's list, either). That's the biggest thing, for me. I can think of at least a handful of other sets that deserve to be made first.

spiderman5z
01-07-2010, 18:13
sure they have huge pointsoakers! i mean if we talk about forgotten kingdoms as its own proper list and not just an ally then you have expenisve heroes like saruman and gandalf. And badass legendary formations like the council of wizardry or the fellowship. And tom bombadil =)

ForgottenLore
01-07-2010, 18:33
I would see a plastic hobbit kit as being more like warhammer multi part kits that you could create a wide mix of hobbit types out of.

Still, I don't see many people ever wanting more than one box of 24.

spiderman5z
01-07-2010, 21:54
u definitely need more thand 24... at 15 pts a co for the archers ud need loads of hobbits to fill up 1k pts

Hellfury
01-07-2010, 22:00
Plastic hobbits...horrible idea.

I think that Whitwort stormbringer speaks the truth of it.

- V -
01-07-2010, 22:18
Do they make a box of only one type of hobbit (i.e. archers, or sherrifs, or militia), or do they make a mixed set with some of each? WotR players and SBG players are likely to differ on this point - whereas it's nice to be able to get the same type of troops in bulk for WotR, no one needs 24 sherrifs in SBG.

How many people are actually interested in buying more than 1 box, which would presumeably have 24 hobbits? Rubbish. They make a box of 24, with a mix of the three, and in any way it would be as expensive as before, or even cheaper, and as a bonus you would get more miniatures... So clearly, that cannot be the problem.

Even if they did make some plastic hobbits, wouldn't you need so many of them that a proper army would still be expensive? It's not like they have a Balrog or Dragon to soak up some points the way goblins do. This argument goes only for WoTR as I'm not a SBG player. No, they dont have a balrog, but they have immensely expensive formations, and heroes. That could take up a lot of points.

They're just not an "army" race, and it would be silly and generally contrary to the established background to have them running around in full force (I know, it has happened in the books, but only very, very rarely and within the borders of the Shire).Have to agree on not an army race part, but they made the Ents, they arren't exactly a army race either.

Now, personally, I would love a set of plastic hobbits, but they're not at the top of my list for LotR plastics (and I doubt they're at the top of GW's list, either). That's the biggest thing, for me. I can think of at least a handful of other sets that deserve to be made first.Agree with you here, if they made them it would be nicer, but there must be other things that are in more dire need of being made plastic.

HRM
02-07-2010, 00:00
Have to agree on not an army race part, but they made the Ents, they arren't exactly a army race either.

...Which is why Forgotten Kingdoms aren't an army.

Shrapnelsmile
02-07-2010, 00:08
Even if they did make some plastic hobbits, wouldn't you need so many of them that a proper army would still be expensive? It's not like they have a Balrog or Dragon to soak up some points the way goblins do..

This would not be the intent at all, save for the rare fanatic. They must be allies anyway.
It would be immensely beneficial, as a dwarf player, to have 3 effective trays of archers which cost me only 45 points.
I would buy 3 boxes and ebay the rest to SBG players. No worries.

- V -
02-07-2010, 07:06
...Which is why Forgotten Kingdoms aren't an army. I agree completely, but even though the "army" isn't playable, that doesn't necessarily mean that they cannot have plastic sets, the ents as evidence for that.

HRM
02-07-2010, 10:27
I agree completely, but even though the "army" isn't playable, that doesn't necessarily mean that they cannot have plastic sets, the ents as evidence for that.

Point conceded.

I personally would still rather every unit have a model before re-doing ones (even though they're in metal) that we already have. For example, my army is missing Deorwine and Elfhelm; Angmar has no Werewolves.

Whitwort Stormbringer
03-07-2010, 00:40
I'm not a WotR player, so please excuse my silly questions, but based on some of the replies I'm kinda confused. Are hobbits a stand-alone army (with the exception of some very powerful heroes like The Fellowship or the Wizards), or can they only be included as allies?

If they're a stand-alone army in WotR, then at least I can see why some niche players would want a full plastic set, and maybe that would be incentive enough for GW to make them.

But if no one would be collecting more than a few company's worth of archers as allies anyways, then I just don't see it happening.

As a bit of a side-note, this thread got me to thinking that if you really wanted a more easily (and affordably) collectible hobbit army, you could always look into some 15mm miniature ranges, which might be about the right height (depending on how the manufacturer measures, foot-to-eye or foot-to-head).

spiderman5z
03-07-2010, 06:08
hobbits arent a stand alone army, but they did get a cool battlehost!

sachi
05-07-2010, 06:00
Good idea plastic hobbits great thinking