PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Tyranid-related Birthday present

Crimson Reaver
30-06-2010, 08:45
I'm helping my friend's girlfriend in getting him a Tyranid army as a Birthday present, we're going to purchase it and paint it for him as a surprise :)

The thing it, I know absolutely nada about the new Tyranids, and I know that our local metagame hasn't gone bonkers for mech. So essentially I need to work out what we can get him to cover the following issues:

The list must be viable at 2000pts, without having to massively loadout on wargear etc. All options must be things that come on the sprue that we can add.
The list must contain a decent mix of units, but should have a fair share of bigger bugs.
He already has all the Genestealers he could ever use, so the army should be Genestealer-free, he can add those in later if he wants.
The overall army should be able to give a good account of itself in a scrap, he won't be taking it to a GT so it should be competitive but fun. The local group plays pretty much everything, save for Dark Eldar :p
Anything in the list must have a model that we can buy, no conversions please. Also, any special characters must have an appropriate model, so we couldn't have the Doom for instance as there is no model in the range for it.
It has to cost no more than 300, and preferably less.
Recommendations on UK-based online retailers able to offer a discount would also be appreciated.
No Forgeworld stuff.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, it's a big project so it may well warrant a project log once we get all the stuff together :D

The True Mooseman
30-06-2010, 10:48
Don't know about the army, but for UK retailers you can't do much better than Wayland Games: http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/
Not only is there a roughly 20% discount on all GW stuff (about as good as it gets on the internet) but, if everything is in stock, they are exceptionally fast; my last order arrived in under 24 hours, using standard First Class post.

Finnith
30-06-2010, 10:48
Id suggest Maelstrom Games for your online purchases. Think they have a 15% sale on atm and postage is free.

As for nids I recently helped a fried get his army together for the latest dex, have only played with it once but against it lots. Its unbelievably easy to convert some of the units without models. Especially things like the doom and tyranid prime. Tevigons and tyrannofex' are abit more fiddly but are alot of fun to do.

Something like:

Hive Tyrant with a Tyrant Guard - magnetize the weapon load outs so you have lots of options.
If you want warriors the take a Prime with bonesword, lashwhip, deathspitter and regeneration. He adds so much to the squad absorbing instant death hits for the warriors, regenerating them and increasing their stats. Its very easy to convert him from a warrior.

2-3 Hive guard - These guys are great
2 Zoanthropes - Nice anti tank
(3rd elite slot is pretty much up for grabs but I would always suggest the above 2 as a minimum)

5 Warriors - Deathspitters and a venom cannon (not that great but the models look good and you get 5 + prime from 2 boxes)
I would suggest a tevigon or 2 with the associated termagants after that then filling up on stealers or hormagaunts however if you dont want to convert then buy lots of hormagaunts and field them in units of 20 as well as outflanking stealers.

Gargoyles add some extra speed but arnt scoring so its a choice between them and hormagaunts. They also add something slightly different to the mix.

A trygon or 2 are pretty much a must have since the models are great and the rules are pretty good. Make them primes if you have the points and need the synapse.

Crimson Reaver
30-06-2010, 11:12
I know he's a fan of the Carnifex, how do they work in the new book now? I understand they're not an optimal choice, but we both love the old model from 2nd Edition, the one that looked like it wanted a hug :D

If we added a 'Fex, what do they tend to be kitted out with, and are they easy to magnetise?

Finnith
30-06-2010, 16:47
The current fex model is very easy to magnatise.

In this book they do alright and in an MC heavy environment where they go down in priority to things like tyrants, tevigons and trygons so the screamer killer (scything talons and bio-plasma) build can work fine charging over the table or even in a drop pod. Duel devourers also look good in a pod as you can tear tanks to bits in side/rear armour, charge the guys inside or mush a heavy tank by charging it.

genestealer_baldric
30-06-2010, 17:25
the carnifex is a mighty beast that has fallen very low its still a great looking model though. most fexs i know are being converted into either trevigons which are almost manditory now but as there is no offical model the caridfex seems to be main base model to convert.

the battle force is quite good start, genrally list it seems to be

HQ- Trevigon (converted carnifex) or hive tyrant

Ellites - zonthropes are amazing in the new codex, a converted zonthrope makes a good doom of malitie (sp) (almost manditory in the new codex) and fill the rest with hive guard

Troops- Genestealers and broodlord are great as well as hormagaunts with toxin sacks

heavy - tyrgons, and tranofexs are the main choices it seems

Fast attack - its a close call between gargoyles and ravaners both are good choices

LonelyPath
30-06-2010, 17:26
I'd definately add a Trygon Prime and a Mawloc to the list, they're great units and wonderful to look at on the table. Units of 3 Hive Guard and Zoanthropes work wonders also in the anti-tank role (and anti-everything with the high strength, good AP weapons).

As for the Carnifex, I prefer to keep them as shooty models now, they suffer in CC under the nex codex. Instead I have my Trygon and Stealers for assault.

Edit - try Dark Sphere for a online retailer, they have 25% off all their Games Workshop stock if you byu online and I've never had to wait more than 3 working days for delivery (and that was when ordering them after hours). As for my most recent order, I ordered a IG Battleforce from them on Monday and it arrived this morning.

de Selby
30-06-2010, 21:10
Working from models that already exist, no converting:

HQ tyrant

Troops hormagaunts with toxin sacs (because genestealers are out and termagants are only good with a tervigon) plus warriors. Everyone likes bonesword warriors but if you're not converting I guess these will have to be shooty.

Fast attack I like gargoyles as harrassment units, they are nice models and give you a real swarm feel. Other people like raveners but they are expensive.

Elites he'll thank you for Hive Guard and Zoanthropes

Heavy Support by all means take a fex for the model but the most effective is probably a shooty variant (all devourers is quite good still) and you may not like the look of that. You could take all three varieties of trygon to fill out your choices.

You could get all of this from Dark Sphere for less than 300 I think.

WH40KAj
30-06-2010, 23:15
I'd buy him marines, cos that's where it's at...Tyranids aren't going to hold his attention for long, as the metagame WILL mech up to counter him. Seen it all before with so many players.

Crimson Reaver
01-07-2010, 10:38
I know he's got some of the old Bugs Bunny warriors with Boneswords, if I was to think about converting them, how would I go about it?

Zoanthropes seems to be a must, along with the Trygon/Mawloc or two, Hive Guard and Warriors, Hive Tyrant for the HQ and a 'Fex because he likes them :)

Any thoughts on stuff like Deathleaper or the Red Terror?

Crimson Reaver
01-07-2010, 10:42
I'd buy him marines, cos that's where it's at...Tyranids aren't going to hold his attention for long, as the metagame WILL mech up to counter him. Seen it all before with so many players.

The big difference in our group is that the rest of us don't have someone willing to buy and paint a load of tanks for them :D My long-suffering other half would be a mite cheesed off if I went and got another 6 Razorbacks, not that I've ever been tempted to do such a thing :angel:

genestealer_baldric
01-07-2010, 11:41
I know he's got some of the old Bugs Bunny warriors with Boneswords, if I was to think about converting them, how would I go about it?

Zoanthropes seems to be a must, along with the Trygon/Mawloc or two, Hive Guard and Warriors, Hive Tyrant for the HQ and a 'Fex because he likes them :)

Any thoughts on stuff like Deathleaper or the Red Terror?

deathleaper is in the codex and works well against physic foes combined with shadow in the warp Sm libarians physic testing on 3d6 at Ld 7 is funny

red terror isnt in the new codex but could be used a as a ravner

ReveredChaplainDrake
01-07-2010, 14:34
red terror isnt in the new codex but could be used a as a ravner
The Red Terror is basically a Mawloc when you think about it. As for the model, a fancy... scything... Ravener.

The no-conversion thing is going to sting a bit, but it's actually rather interesting. I've been trying to design a Jaws-proof Tyranid list that includes no I1 models, and thus no Tervigons, Tyrannos, or Carnifexes. (Hive Guard are a necessary evil though. But once they pop open Rhinos, they can just go ahead and die.) I've been thinking about heavy use of Hormagaunts and Tyranid Warriors, as without Tervigons, Termegants just aren't as good. I'm thinking of a Swarmlord to lead the whole thing.

Don't worry about not including Genestealers. Not that they aren't competitive, but they just aren't quite as useful as some other stuff.

de Selby
01-07-2010, 15:35

If you mean converting the old models, there's no need! Just play old-school and field them as-is. :D

If you mean making new boneswords for new warriors, then basically you need to start from the scything talon arms and do something like this:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/01/40k-hobby-converting-warriors-with.html

Note that there are no left-handed deathspitters so you'll need to adapt his method if you're doing twin boneswords.