PDA

View Full Version : WOOO blood angels!!

SonofSanguinis
30-06-2010, 11:45
Ok First off, i am a complete noob, haven't got a single miniature to my name and no game experience xD thats all about to change, in two to three working days the beginnings of my blood angels army will be here, consisting of the space marine battle force, a Death company (Which i intend to have as an assault squad) and chapter master Gabriel Seth (just cause he looks cool) now, i know of the 40k background cause my friend lent me his books, and i sided with
Blood Angels 1 cause they look cool and 2 because they are everything i want from a force, they're mobile, fast, and with the right amount of back up fire power, can devastate quite easily (or so I've been told) xD, now i don't have a codex yet, a foolish move, to be honest didn't think it that important, until my mate told me all the special rules of my force and points values were in it, to which i promptly replied "WTF? Points??"
I would really appreciate any tactical advice but also advice in general for playing and expanding my army :)

PaulmanMN
30-06-2010, 11:59
You would have been better off with Space Wolves, more cost effective and in game they are much more effective.

But BA are cool, no doubt about it.

Death Company ROCK, but they are MONDO spendy points wise.

Sanguinary Guard are darn near a "Must Have"..

Shadow Lord
30-06-2010, 12:13
Don't fall in the "the more points the better the unit" trap...start with basic stuff like troops, transports, a commander and some firepower. Then start gaming...ALOT! :D And then you can start by using all the fun and shiny stuff your new Codex will offer you. And don't be put off by people who will state that you "must" use that or that another of your personal choices is "bad"...it's your army, your choices and as long as it is fun for you, the rest don't matter!! ;)

Welcome to 40K btw:-) :p

bork da basher
30-06-2010, 14:19
your just starting out play with what you like the look of best. my suggestion is assemble what you've got and play alot of small games, get used to the army and you'll be able to decide what is best for it's next step.

i play blood angels and find them competant all round with some very uber powerful builds in there too. don't listen to people who say you should have taken space wolves you shouldn't blood angels are perfectly good as they are. i went for an all deepstriking uber combat army and it works very well. my only advice about picking units is assault termies with a sanguinary priest in a redeemer is as good as it gets...pricey but they chew through stuff like no ones business.

forget winning for now just have some fun, it can take new gamers months or even years to be good enough to win some games so take it all as a learning curve and learn to play your army and play against other armies.

welcome to 40k, have a blast.

dreamwarder
30-06-2010, 14:27
Major tip -

Don't believe everything you hear on the internet about uberbuilds etc. Every army has a wide selection of units that are useful in their own way. Play games and learn what suits you best, otherwise you may find yourself shelling out a lot of cash to build an army from a list someone else posted and claimed was ub3rl33t, only to find you can't make it work for you.

Contrary to what some would have you believe, there are many ways of building a competitive army for every codex.

That being said, for blood angels their strengths seem to be being able to field a lot of vehicles with a front AV of 13 or greater, and having a lot of hardcore assault troops with the "feel no pain" special rule - both good themes for a BA (or successor chapter) army.

Since you've got Seth, have you considered painitng your guys up as Flesh Tearers?

Shas'o Kais
30-06-2010, 14:29
Welcome to the hobby, blood angels have good choices that you can experiment with and find your favorite way to play your army. Remember that because you find one way to play that is powerful, doesn't mean it will be the most fun, so experiment with other choices before you go all Mech or DC or Sanguinary Guard.

Wolf Lord Balrog
30-06-2010, 16:05
Be prepared to add greenstuff fur cloaks to your models and call them Blood Wolves. You'll regret this decision! :D

SonofSanguinis
30-06-2010, 16:18
Cheers guys thnx for advice :D i'll post a thread as soon as i get the models, have them assembled and come up with an army list :)

BY THE BLOOD OF SANGUINIS!

LonelyPath
30-06-2010, 17:12
Welcome to 40k, I hope you enjoy the game as much as we do :)

It sounds like you have a nice array of models for your inital force, but remember to buy Assault Squads as 10 men units, they last alot longer on the table (not to mention packing more punch). Also remember it's YOUR ARMY, not anyone elses. It's true many people will offer advice, but you don't have to do what they tell you, if you like a model or the look of a unit, use it. If I listened to everyone out there my Grey Knights (Daemonhunters) wouldn't have seen a table in 3 years and my Dark Angels would be using the standard Space Marine codex, lol.

Also, Blood Angels are alot of fun and those fast vehicles, brilliant! I plan to rebuild an old army of mine using the codex myself once I've finished my current army project :)

Lothlanathorian
30-06-2010, 19:56
First, I would recommend that you don't take any advice anyone gives you. When you build your force, you build them how you want to. By what you think you will like. The recommendation that you start off with a couple Troops, a Commander and maybe an extra unit or two, are the best ideas.

With what you have ordered, I would suggest that you not use the Death Company box to make Death Company. Combine the bits from it with the Tactical Squad, Assault Squad and Combat Squad you get in your Battle Force. Build yourself two 10 Man Tactical Squads (as you will have enough parts to do so with the Tac Squad, Combat Squad and Death Compant box), a 5 Man Assault Squad and your Scout Squad. Use Gabriel Seth as your HQ and give a Rhino to your Tactical Squad so you can have a vehicle.

This set up will give you 4 Troops choices to make a good core to build the rest of your army around. You can use it to play a few intro games with your friend to test the water and see what you like about your army and how you would prefer to expand from there and, at the end of the day, a good core to start with is a good thing.

Also, the reason I say not to use the Death Company box for Death Company is because that box is the only way to get certain Blood Angels specific Special Weapons. Blood Angels are the only army with Hand Flamers and Infernus Pistols, both of which there are two of in the Death Company box and that is the only way to get them. Those items can be used by a large number of units in the Blood Angels army, so you will be needing 'Death Company' bitz to put on the rest of your army, anyways.

I, too, am currently building a Blood Angels army, but I am making a successor Chapter with a color scheme and history of my own creation. So, welcome, Son of Sanguinius, to 40K and unending war. May your games be glorious and your dice roll true!

sigur
30-06-2010, 20:29
First, I would recommend that you don't take any advice anyone gives you. When you build your force, you build them how you want to. By what you think you will like. The recommendation that you start off with a couple Troops, a Commander and maybe an extra unit or two, are the best ideas.

Best advice someone could give you for starting out. Explore the game yourself, don't employ too much internet wisdom and be patient. And of course remember, if you're good at a tactical tabletop game (= win a lot) right from the start, there's something wrong with it.

Again, be patient. Don't rush things, don't buy too much stuff at once. The miniatures you bought for now will give you loads of options to play around with, just enough for a beginner. Buy the codex, read it, buy a rulebook, read it, learn it. Build your miniatures, prime them, paint them. Play games. Learn. THEN, after all that is one, just then, get more miniatures. Building an army is not done in two weeks. In my experience, it takes a year at least.

Lothlanathorian
30-06-2010, 21:21
What the squirrel said.

Fear Itself
30-06-2010, 21:39
The main points I was going to mention have been covered; so I'll just say welcome to 40K. I hope you enjoy the game as much as we all do.

Kalishnikov-47
30-06-2010, 21:43
What the squirrel said.

He's a Thunder Squirrel :D

I hope you have the same nostalgia and euphoric feelings when you play Blood Angels as I did first starting out in 04'. They were my all time favorites, noble, powerful, and wise. I chose the boys in red because unlike any other other army I felt a connection from day one when I read their fluff. The altruism they possess and the hardships they endure made them the Chapter of choice for me. So having said that I welcome you to the ranks of the Blood Angels, and I hope you enjoy 40k and most importantly having fun.

kaimarion
30-06-2010, 21:47
The only advise I can give you is get a pair of side-clippers and a knife before you start building your models, that way you will be able to build your models without them having any moldlines or bits of sprue(frame) still attached to them which will make them still look nice even without any paint.

Another thing to remember is when you're building plastic models don't go overboard with the glue, if you do put too much on you either remove it straight away or leave it to set then remove it with a knife/file later. You will also probably want to pick up a can of spray paint so you are not left base coating your miniatures with a brush as it can be a complete pain especially when you have got a lot of minis to paint lol. When you're spray painting shake the can well and don't spray too close to the miniatures or things could end badly.

Take your time with your miniatures there's no reason to rush them as you will only regret it later, I know I did :p.

Hope this helped :).

rodfarruguia
30-06-2010, 22:02
Cheers guys thnx for advice :D i'll post a thread as soon as i get the models, have them assembled and come up with an army list :)

BY THE BLOOD OF SANGUINIS!

cool mini or not has a great painting guide for noobs to download. look at the work in progress threads here for ideas.
Dont take advice on army builds early on , find out what you like by playing it. proxy anything you want to try out....i went from a gun line , to bikes , to rhinos , finally settled on all out assault.

Gensuke626
01-07-2010, 01:47

I'd ignore this.

I've run Sanguinary Guard several times. I've had them die to Plasma Fire and broken ankles more often than making it into combat. I find them to be overcosted and underwhelming unless you run a Pure SG force.

But this is also coming from someone who also plays orks and uses Meganobz and Tankbusta Boyz to great effect...and thinks Lootaz are incredibly overrated.

Fanboy
01-07-2010, 08:38

No they are not. I have played with them several times, and they have yet to impress me, would rather take a 10 man assualt squad, and split into combat units, far more useful.......

Yours Thankfully

Fanboy

lash machine
01-07-2010, 09:11
I'm using all my left over marines to build a blood Angels army with and whilst I have been using space wolves recently I would not say straight away that wolves are definetly better. There are different aspects and strenghts in the blood angel codex and whilst if you wanted to make your army space wolfy it would be less cost effeicient there are lots of different options and abilities for the army.

My only observation so far is that Wolves are probabaly better at 1500 point where at 1750 the playing field is levelled between the two.

__ALEX__
01-07-2010, 10:34
Promoting theft and piracy isn't acceptable.

it is however a good idea to study the rules of your intended army before investing in them, WH40k is not a cheap hobby and assuming you already have a copy of the rules then getting set up with an army with a codex, battleforce and couple of other boxes/blisters will set you back 100-150 GBP depending what you get. not an investment I'd take lightly, although everyone has their own financial circumstances.

if things like rules, background and play style matter to you then I would pop down to your local GW and have a good look through their 'store copy' of the BA codex (or read a friend's or ask an established player) and make your own mind up whether they're the army for you or not.

if on the other hand, you like an army simply because of how it paints/models/looks on the table (you may for example, just really like the colour red!) then the rules don't matter as much, fill your boots with what you like the look of! :)

Netfreakk
01-07-2010, 14:21
all i want to say since most of the things have been covered is...

when modeling try use the correct weapons. When I first started I did whatever I thought looked cool, but quickly found myself ripping all the special weapons I initially did to put bolters on tactical marines as they were only able to take 1 per unit. etc etc..

But that's only if you want things to represent what you're fielding, if you don't care about that kind of stuff, then ignore me.

sigur
01-07-2010, 14:30
@__ALEX__: What Lothlanathorian was referring to is that suggesting to undertake illegal actions like downloading copyrighted material from shady sources is against the forums rules. By the way, please use proper capitalization when composing postings. :) Apart from that, ALEX is right.

@Netfreakk: True. That's why I strongly suggest reading and understanding the rules before putting together his miniatures. I still have my first two tanks sitting around with one heavy flamer and one multimelta sponson each. ;) Please use proper capitalization when posting on Warseer.

herostoaces
01-07-2010, 14:40
Lots of good advice was posted. Really get the rules down first. Play alot of 500 pts battles with the table halfed in size. With the size being smaller you'll see more of all the turns actions. If your friends play and they know the rules take the time to watch, ask why or how things work and follow the game reading the rules as they play to see how they work on the table. I played Blood Angels as my first army. Good choice on that. Just rember to have fun and ask question. When I was getting in to the game I went to the local store and found out their game night for warhammer 40,000. I went and watched till I got how the game worked. The older gamers should help out in your area. Then I'd put the models to gether so I knew I had what I needed or wanted to play with. With models try to go with the thinking if you want to try out a unit you can proxy with models you have or a toy that is about the same size. Don't run out and just start buying stuff it will end up costing alot to learn. I think you get what a proxy is due to you writing that your death company would be normal assault marines.

MystheDevourer
01-07-2010, 15:58
Welcome to 40k, I hope you enjoy the game as much as we do :)

It sounds like you have a nice array of models for your inital force, but remember to buy Assault Squads as 10 men units, they last alot longer on the table (not to mention packing more punch). Also remember it's YOUR ARMY, not anyone elses. It's true many people will offer advice, but you don't have to do what they tell you, if you like a model or the look of a unit, use it. If I listened to everyone out there my Grey Knights (Daemonhunters) wouldn't have seen a table in 3 years and my Dark Angels would be using the standard Space Marine codex, lol.

Also, Blood Angels are alot of fun and those fast vehicles, brilliant! I plan to rebuild an old army of mine using the codex myself once I've finished my current army project :)

I perfer 5 man units and DS them with 2 Infernus Pistols >.> Gets the job done, as for the things that want to assault me. . . thats what I take Guns for :P

ADVICE: Always Ask questions. You can not go wrong with asking questions, you will learn about the opponets army, their style of play, etc just by asking questions.
Be Fluid. I am a water Tactician, in other words I flow with the battle with no real plan in mind.
Target Priority!!! I can not stress this enough! Is the big monster REALLY that dangerous, or is it the lil things that out numger it 15:1? Is that land raider worth the kill or are the Rhinos that are easier to blow up?

SonofSanguinis
01-07-2010, 17:49
Cheers everyone for the advice :) really wasnt expecting so much help :) my marines shuould be here tomorrow, i'll post a thread soon to show how i put them together and to showcase my 'Brilliant' painting skills xD lol

Lothlanathorian
01-07-2010, 20:45
I'll third asking questions. There is no such thing as asking too many. You ask about anything you aren't absolutely sure on until you are sure on it.

And the 500 pt games is a good idea. Does anyone have a link to the 40K in 40 Minutes guide?

Something like:
500 point forces.
No models with more than 2 wounds.
No saves better than 3+
And I think there was a restriction on vehicle armour, but, in a 500 point game, not a lot of room for Land Raiders and Leman Russ.

sigur
01-07-2010, 20:56
You don't have to have an HQ unit IIRC
and there is only one mandatory troops choice
Vehicle limit is: No vehicles with a total armour value of more than 33
No DS2 weapons or something like that.

MystheDevourer
01-07-2010, 21:16
I'll third asking questions. There is no such thing as asking too many. You ask about anything you aren't absolutely sure on until you are sure on it.

And the 500 pt games is a good idea. Does anyone have a link to the 40K in 40 Minutes guide?

Something like:
500 point forces.
No models with more than 2 wounds.
No saves better than 3+
And I think there was a restriction on vehicle armour, but, in a 500 point game, not a lot of room for Land Raiders and Leman Russ.

*coughs* Furioso and Baal Pred a lil over half of 500 points >.> add in a cheap Libby and a 5 and Assault squad. . . .

Questions are my lifes blood, I gain the most knowledge of how the peorson replies to the question, if they are happy irritated, etc can all be gleamed which is important on the game. Then there is knowing what weapons they have brought and such and what you have to look out for!

sigur
01-07-2010, 21:20
*coughs* Furioso and Baal Pred a lil over half of 500 points >.> add in a cheap Libby and a 5 and Assault squad. . . .

That's all taken care of in the glory that is 40k in 40 minutes. The only 40k variant version I really think that works even without much preparation.