PDA

View Full Version : "Elite" Skaven lists?

tremulant
01-07-2010, 13:18
Hey guys, a friend of mine is looking into starting up skaven because he loves the models, but he hates the idea of painting 150 - 200+ models >.< Is there any way to create an "elite" (in a sense) skaven army? I'm assuming this would be composed of mainly stormvermin. Can these types of lists still be competitive? Just looking for a general composition for an army of this type.

Thanks again guys!

Ultimate Life Form
01-07-2010, 13:30
Stormvermin, Screaming Bell, Rat Ogres, Warp Lightning Cannons. It's as elite as Skaven get. Though your friend clearly picked the wrong army if he doesn't want to paint many models.

Valaraukar
01-07-2010, 13:33
Yeah it can certainly be done, just go character, special and rare heavy. As to how competitive it is I don't know but they have some very nasty options now.

You could take a bell mounted seer, furnace mounted priest a hellpit abomination and a doomwheel. Then fill out special with things like jezzails, censer bearers, globadiers and have min core of storm vermin and clan rats but if anything 8th seems to be pushing away from this a bit by helping out weaker units with horde, fight in 2 ranks and steadfast and the real strength of skaven lies in there numbers so if he doesn't like that idea then he might have to question whether they're the right army for him or not.

BigbyWolf
01-07-2010, 14:14
Vermin Lord would also lean towards the more "elite" section.

Preacher
01-07-2010, 14:23
Glad this thread popped up...was thinking the same thing.

I don't have the book yet, but don't a unit of Vermin get a 'boost' if you take Queek with them?

...I like to build fluffy lists.

UberHopper
01-07-2010, 15:40
Glad this thread popped up...was thinking the same thing.

I don't have the book yet, but don't a unit of Vermin get a 'boost' if you take Queek with them?

...I like to build fluffy lists.

He has the option to take an enhanced unit. This costs the same points per model as a clanrat to upgrade each SV, making the upgrade expensive. You do get a decent boost though.

tremulant
01-07-2010, 17:37
Thanks for the replies guys. Soooo I'm guessing the competitiveness of a list like this hasn't shown its face much then? What would be a good balance of maxing pts per/model but keeping a somewhat challenging list?

Skyros
01-07-2010, 18:49
Painting skaven is easy. Use a paintgun to make them brown, then just dip them in something.

macdaddy
01-07-2010, 18:56
Absolutely, stormvermin are a really good unit to spam. add Queek to it and upgrade 1 unit and it gets good and expensive. Dont forget to go to your points limit on rares, lords, and heroes and you wont need 200 models.

matticusmaximus
01-07-2010, 19:17
Allow me to start off with just saying that "elite" skaven, for the most part, = fail.

However,

you could try spamming SV and plague monks, for 7 and 6 apiece, respectively, they're decent troops with some boosted stats, (the SV being WS4, halberd, heavy armor, and the PM being T4). Throw in some gutter runners, and possibly ogres and you'd have a pretty decent list