PDA

View Full Version : Get back into Fantasy... or sell it off.

Creeping Dementia
01-07-2010, 20:28
Hello Fantasy players, I started into GW products over 10 years ago with Warhammer Fantasy. I was a huge fan of Lizardmen, and used to play a lot and to be honest was pretty good at it.

About 2 1/2 years ago I just got tired of it and switched over to 40k. I got tired of the repetitive nature of the game, it seemed if you understood the movement phase and were pro at guessing ranges, then that was pretty much it. I also got tired of dull games, mainly due to the large number of dwarf players in my area (75% using Thorek). The gameplay and boring Meta, drove me out of Fantasy, so after I won a tournament, I used my prize credits to finish my 40k army and haven't played a Fantasy game since. I'm not bashing Fantasy or anything, I had many good years with it, I'm just explaining why I don't currently play. I left before the VC/Daemon abomination, so it didn't have much to do with power imbalances. I've just been sitting on the sidelines, checking in every once and a while to see if I'd get drawn back in.

Now, with 8th edition coming up, I feel I need to decide whether I should try picking it up again, or just sell off my Lizards and get some Forge World Broadsides (Tau).

I've been hearing good and bad things about the newest edition. One of the things I've been hearing is that it seems like it is going more toward 'fluffy' play and away from competitive/pick-up game play. Also that magic may be less prominent, big blocks more prevalent, and characters less of an impact. Is there any truth there?

I'm looking for an actual dialogue on how things are looking, part of me longs for my good memories of Fantasy, another part wants to just be done with it.
What are some other changes that might modivate me to restart or permanently abandon, Fantasy?

tezdal
01-07-2010, 20:30
New Rulebook price, seems good enough reason for me to not play the new edition.

Lars Porsenna
01-07-2010, 20:32
I can't answer whether 8th is going to be the thing for you or not, but every time someone asks if they should sell of their figures, my advice is always NO.

Figures are an investment. An investment not just of money, but time and effort. If well cared for, your miniatures will probably outlast you. While you might be able to accurately say if you're going to play WHFB in the next 5 years, can you say in the next 10? or 20?

All too often I hear the lament "I played this game years ago, but sold off all my stuff thinking I'd never use it again. Well now I'm back, and building up my collection again." If I had a nickel...

Finally, if WHFB is not your thing, maybe use your figures in other games like HoTT, or Armies of Arcana, etc.

Damon.

Skyros
01-07-2010, 20:52
to 40k. I got tired of the repetitive nature of the game, it seemed if you understood the movement phase and were pro at guessing ranges, then that was pretty much it.

Well, in 8th ed, you charge random distances, and no longer guess for weapon range.

Additionally, charging went from making you strike first to granting you +1CR.

So it's no longer all about dancing back and forth an eight of an inch out of the other guys charge range.

The changes from 7th to 8th are very significant, much more so than from 6th to 7th. My own personal opinion is that they are almost all much for the better, and now is a great time to get back into fantasy.

Like you, I enjoy 40k more than 7th ed WFB.

Lord Solar Plexus
01-07-2010, 20:55
I feel I need to decide whether I should try picking it up again, or just sell off my Lizards

That depends entirely on what you've got and what you charge.

Spider-pope
01-07-2010, 20:58
Best advice would be to try a game or two of 8th before making a decision, ultimately whether or not you find a game system fun is entirely subjective. I too lost all interest in fantasy because of 7th edition and 8th has rekindled my interest in it at last. But just because it's worked for me, doesn't mean it'll have the same effect for you.

But i do have to echo Lars and say don't sell anything or throw anything out. Rules can and will change and maybe 8th isn't going to be the system for you but 18th edition might.

Urgat
01-07-2010, 21:05
Best advice would be to try a game or two of 8th before making a decision, ultimately whether or not you find a game system fun is entirely subjective.

That's pretty much my opinion too. Try a few games, and see if it clicks or not.

chamelion 6
01-07-2010, 21:15
There are enough threads debating the pros and cons of WFB 8. I'm looking forward to 8th edition and plan to get back into it. I also like 40k 5th MUCH better than 4th.

From what I can see from the posts here, if you like the changes in 40K you're probably gonna like WFB 8 so you might wanna give it a try.

If you don't like the direction 40K is going, you probably not gonna like the direction WFB 8 is taking the game.

macdaddy
01-07-2010, 22:56
I disagree chamelion.While there are some rules that are similar to 40k, Most of the changes have put more "fun" back into the game.

To the OP, it depends on why you played fantasy. It seems that, after reading the book over and over, and playing quite a few games, the tournament type players are going to bitch and complain, then adapt. The players who like to immerse themselves in fantasy for a few hours are really going to be happy.

1- rules are more streamlined. NOT simplified.
2- scenarios galore.
3- terrain helps immerse you farther, instead of being something to avoid.
4- WAY more emphasis on blocks of troops.(will necessarily mean larger games)
5- more dice rolls for everyone for everything.
All in all seems to be a much better version than 7th.