PDA

View Full Version : How can people be playing 8th edition already?

r3flexx
01-07-2010, 19:38
The rulebook isn't even out yet (as far as I know) and I keep seeing almost everyone here talking about it like they know what's in it. Is there a way for me to find out these rules (rumors section?). Basically I want to be as informed as everyone else on the rules. Sorry if this has been posted already, but I'm about to leave my house and I just wanted to make this topic before I did.

Thanks for any feedback!

Skyros
01-07-2010, 19:40
Local GW stores have had store copies of the 8th edition for weeks now. It isn't available to purchase and take home, but you can read it in store and play by those rules.

Ultimate Life Form
01-07-2010, 19:40
Go to your GW and read the book.

N810
01-07-2010, 19:41
A lot of theses are store demos where the management has learned the new rules
and probaly has a store copy of 8th edition in the back...

other people are just playing off of rumored rules.

kargie
01-07-2010, 19:43
The rulebook has been at GW stores and FLGS's for a few weeks now. So if you read the book there and then go play, or play there with the book you can be using 8th. Though people are likely missing many details, since few people can take it home to study.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
01-07-2010, 19:45
At my LGS they have a copy of 8th edition on the counter near the register for anyone to read.

Nocculum
01-07-2010, 20:01
Given this is the internet, I'm sure some people have access to pirated copies too, although I've every hope said people will also buy a copy of the book or the Starter Set rulebook when it becomes available.

Edit
01-07-2010, 20:18
our LGS has had it for 3ish weeks and we have been playing it for 2 in a little group to figure out the rules and are all enjoying it quite nicely :)

Baron Von Rotten
01-07-2010, 21:01
I have had a Hardback copy for weeks now. However, I still have not played a game yet........

Sygerrik
01-07-2010, 21:07
I have been reading the book for weeks and played my first game with it yesterday. I love 8th even more than I did, which was a lot. I was playing against a dwarven horde-- one unit of 37 hammerers, a unit of 25 slayers, and three units of 30 dwarves each, warriors/quarrelers/longbeards, plus assorted characters and war machines.

That was a serious army that gave me a serious run for my money. Would that army have worked in 7th edition? Hell no!

macdaddy
01-07-2010, 21:44
I also have the book.

Hennessy7
01-07-2010, 22:22
I know about the copy on net, only thing I am not sure about is, if it is a shop-version of book or a version from Isle of the Blood.

macdaddy
01-07-2010, 22:24
don't know. mine is not from the net.

xxRavenxx
01-07-2010, 23:13
I run a game store. I can take my book home, I can use it to deliver the beatdown to would-be muggers. (Its huge! :P ), I can swear that one day I will find out which customer dropped chocolate on one of the pages while reading through it, and punish them... *grumble*

The real question is: What would happen if I took it to warhammer world and tried to play a game with it? :P Dya think hired goons would spill out of the walls to restrain me? :D

Crazy Harborc
01-07-2010, 23:39
Oh joy, it's almost here!! My group and I have decided not to bother.;) I do expect the guys to decide to go back 6th Edition, write a few house rules and play our way:eek:. Unless GW starts kicking in doors we will do what we want with what we paid for.:shifty:

macdaddy
02-07-2010, 00:48
CHILD: Waaaaa!!!! I don't like peas!!!!!!!
MOTHER: Have you ever tried them?
CHILD: NO!!!! I don't like them!!!!!

Wakerofgods
02-07-2010, 01:10
Go to your GW and read the book.

I have to get on a boat or plane if I want to go to a GW :(. But my local toy store had a copy...

Between looking at your local store and the rumors section you can play games. I've played two so far, although the rules wernt as complete as actually having the book in your hand I think we only had one or two questions over both of these games.

Odominus
02-07-2010, 01:46
Click on the link in my sig...

Coldblood666
02-07-2010, 01:53
oh joy, it's almost here!! My group and i have decided not to bother.;) i do expect the guys to decide to go back 6th edition, write a few house rules and play our way:eek:. Unless gw starts kicking in doors we will do what we want with what we paid for.:shifty:

blasphemy! Heretic! Crucify him!

freddieyu
02-07-2010, 02:07
Click on the link in my sig...

Nice cast!!!!

cerealkiller195
02-07-2010, 02:08
they have had it at my local store for a few weeks and it is also on the net.

Raditz
02-07-2010, 03:50
Had it at my store for a few weeks too. One kid managed to read through most of the rules in one sitting... and then said he wants to start redhead wood elves. Poor lad, doesn't even know that Wood Elves are hard to play...

Peregijn
02-07-2010, 06:14
my local gw store has the book on display... behind bars and bulletproof glas... no one gets to touch it..

Leonyn
02-07-2010, 07:53
Bulletproof glas?

You kidding right ?

Ultimate Life Form
02-07-2010, 07:55
Did he mention the laser barriers?

Nocculum
02-07-2010, 08:08
Can we get back to the redheaded Wood Elves? :D

Balerion
02-07-2010, 08:48
my local gw store has the book on display... behind bars and bulletproof glas... no one gets to touch it..
Are they even allowed to do that, or are they rebelliously lording their status over customers?

I would love to print a copy of the pirated version and thump it down on their countertop.

ftayl5
02-07-2010, 08:49
yeah I, not caring about the rules :P, read all (EDIT: most) the fluff while no-one else was squabbling over the book. The 1st or so day they had it one of the workers was reading some of the new rules out loud like a campfire story... if only we turned of the lights and got a torch...
" Hatred: 'ooooh...Models with the hatred special rule may re-roll missed hits...' *spooky voice*

Odominus
02-07-2010, 22:34
Nice cast!!!!

Thanks freddie:cool:

Sadesuteku
02-07-2010, 23:14
There's a scan of the rules floating around /tg/ also, so I'm sure some people are also using that.

I'm not advocating pirating the rules or anything, just saying.

Archangelion
03-07-2010, 00:34
Question: If you pre-order the book online. When do you get it? Do they send out pages to your home to deliver it Saturday morning?

Balerion
03-07-2010, 01:52
Question: If you pre-order the book online. When do you get it? Do they send out pages to your home to deliver it Saturday morning?
I can only speak to my own experience, and to some extent it may depend on where you live, but I would answer no to your question.

Glancing at your location... do you live in Canada? I do, and I preordered the 5th edition Tyranid codex months in advance, which was set for release on a saturday. I had a game planned for that night, so I was hoping the codex would come by friday. It didn't, and I had to go to the brick and mortar GW to secure a copy. My preorder came the following tuesday.

Crazy Harborc
03-07-2010, 02:02
In the past, GW, USA claimed pre-ordered stuff was "supposed" to be shipped to people who pre-ordered, the day it was released for sale in stores.
I don't know IF that is the current policy or not.

Gekiganger
03-07-2010, 02:41
There's a scan of the rules floating around /tg/ also, so I'm sure some people are also using that.

I'm not advocating pirating the rules or anything, just saying.

I've seen that one, it's a black n white scan with no fluff pages. Didn't bother Dling it myself as I'd rather have a paper copy than read through that big chunk of paper on a screen, but it's certainly out there - not that I'd recommend being a pirate.

Coldblood666
03-07-2010, 02:52
The GW site says we are supposed to recieve our pre-ordered stuff by or on the release date of the 10th. I am guessing that they will dispatch all orders on this coming monday.

Raditz
03-07-2010, 03:04
Can we get back to the redheaded Wood Elves? :D

Played by a redhead who's my favourite bro-hisser.

not that I'd recommend being a pirate.

But pirates rule, have eye patches and manly scars! Arg!
Or live in their mothers basement and troll the internet...

Gekiganger
03-07-2010, 07:22
But pirates rule, have eye patches and manly scars! Arg!
Or live in their mothers basement and troll the internet...

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/2p32

Say again? :p

Vaul
03-07-2010, 08:42
We have a local shop with a small warhammer section. It's a chain store and the staff haven't a clue about warhammer, so when they get new releases it just go's STRAIGHT onto the shelf. They don't even HAVE a store room. So... Yeah... I've had my copy for like... A week now.

Archangelion
03-07-2010, 12:54
It would kick butt if I got the copy friday! lmao, I'm pretty sure Canada Post doesn't run on the weekend. So yeah, I won't be surprised if I don't get it till tuesday at the earliest.

Baron Von Rotten
05-07-2010, 03:56
I looked at my copy of the BRB and was shocked to see that it is dated 2009. What takes them so long to release this stuff??

Everything is soooooooo "Top Secret" with this company.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
05-07-2010, 08:19
My local store has also a copy and I read it there.

Cheers,
G

chamelion 6
05-07-2010, 08:31
I looked at my copy of the BRB and was shocked to see that it is dated 2009. What takes them so long to release this stuff??

Everything is soooooooo "Top Secret" with this company.

The copyright is probably based on the earliest rough draft and not the final release copy to cover themselves if stuff starts to leak out. GW is excessivly obsessed with protectiong their creative domain. But I guess its the blood of their existance so I can't really blame them.

Masakados
05-07-2010, 08:55
The book landed in the independent retailer shop that I use to buy my stuff in, and being an habitual costumer, and member of its gaming group, granted me the "privilege" to buy a copy a week in advance.

So I can testify that the book is at sale in some shops... usually if you are a good costumer.

Im still reading the book, but so far Im loving the changes, specially the "stepping up" thing.

P.S: Please, condone my poor english grammar, its not my native language :)

chamelion 6
05-07-2010, 09:06
The book landed in the independent retailer shop that I use to buy my stuff in, and being an habitual costumer, and member of its gaming group, granted me the "privilege" to buy a copy a week in advance.

So I can testify that the book is at sale in some shops... usually if you are a good costumer.

Im still reading the book, but so far Im loving the changes, specially the "stepping up" thing.

Poor grammar???? You seem pretty fluent to me. :) Definately a lot better than I am at speaking your native language.

If you hadn't mentioned it I'd have never guessed English wasn't your first language.

wizbix
05-07-2010, 09:06

I've pre-ordered a copy. My GW store is having a warhammer day on the 10th June and I can pick it up then. They are giving away free donuts and drink and a raffle - the winner wins a battalian set of his/her choice and the option for one of the staff to paint it up for them (you have to have pre-ordered the rule book to enter). I don't know if you will recieve yours on the 10th via the post but i'd imagine that they will aim for that.

Tuch
05-07-2010, 14:13
I pre-ordered from the online shop in the US. When doing so in the past I've always received my order on the Friday before release.

GodlessM
05-07-2010, 15:58

I can vouch for this, our LSG is also selling the book already.

UberBeast
05-07-2010, 23:57
I've seen several people in my area using pdf files of the rules already. Same guys who have pdf copies of the last edition and all the army books....

Crazy Harborc
06-07-2010, 02:25
Well, there IS an official Errata already. Yes, I did print out a copy. I like corrections on the new rules BEFORE the rules are in the stores.;)

BlutGeist
06-07-2010, 02:33
Our GW has had a couple copies of the rulebook for awhile now and I have played many games already with the 8th edition rules. Albeit without the errata.

I find it is a very, very solid edition, and I enjoy it considerably. It has definitely changed the way the game is played and how you build your lists, but I believe it is all for the better.

I look forward to getting my own copy so that I may use the extensive list of Magic Items and spells at home to build lists.

We have seen our local games go up from an average point value of 2250 to 3-4k now, and the battles are savage, and very fast. In my experience 3k in 8th plays noticeably faster than 2250 in 7th.

UberBeast
06-07-2010, 03:48
The games I've played didn't seem to go any faster, but it may be that we are still working through the new rules.

Gonzoyola
06-07-2010, 03:55
Yeah Im willing to bet that it isnt going any faster for some people because every time they enter a new phase of the game they have 20 different abilities and tactics they want to try but dont know the rules for.

a game at 2250 in 7th edition between players that know most rules at heart: 3-4 hours

a game at 3k in 8th between players who dont know the rules and are probably referencing them more than they are moving or measuring anything: 3-4 hours.

I think its easy to see where the current time its taking for a lot of people to play 8th edition games will diminish over time

enyoss
06-07-2010, 08:20
To the OP: a very good question!

I would bet a lot of money that hardly anyone has played 8th edition properly, as they don't have the army specific errata (at least, they didn't have them a few days ago, I've not been keeping up with the rumours since then).

The_Lemon
06-07-2010, 08:57
Also this weekend was the Games Day here in Spain. There were 100 copies of the new rulebook to be sold.

Crovax20
06-07-2010, 13:06

Let me guess Amsterdam GW. Their store newsletter made me laugh when I read you can ask a yes or no question about 8th edition, as a bonus, when you have spend money on warhammer fantasy items. I'd rather go to Warseer :evilgrin: