PDA

View Full Version : Question on WoC Chosen w/Great weapons

Krom The Eternal
02-07-2010, 05:22
Ok so browsing about on the GW site i found this

Great weapon
Chosen armed with great weapons can scythe through even the best-armoured and toughest enemy units around. They're best used to take on targets which are especially durable - the likes of Saurus Warriors, Black Orcs, Knights, Dwarfs and so forth. Against almost any target, Chosen will hit on a 3+ and wound on a 2+, and the meaty -3 saving throw modifier means survival against them is by no means assured.Pros: Strength 6, -3 saving throw modifier causes carnage
Cons: Strike last unless they charge

Now my Question is do great weapons strike first if they get the Charge? because it doesn't make sense to me as to why they would say unless they charge. Have i been playing my Great weapons wrong all this time? or am I misreading this...???

Null_Sheen
02-07-2010, 05:23
under 7th thats exactly the rules, under 8th it will change

Kalandros
02-07-2010, 06:11
Great Weapons rules always stated, during the 4 years of 7th edition, that they would strike last unless they had charged that turn. I guess you missed out on something big.

Under 8th edition however, Great Weapons go after Initiative 1 models~ :D

Coldblood666
02-07-2010, 06:33
Now its a complete waste to put grt wpns on Chosen as they have great initiative and imo are way too expensive to be striking last against anything. Halberds are the way to go for them now.

Peregijn
02-07-2010, 07:01
the article that you meant was written in 2008 under the "old" rules

Urgat
02-07-2010, 07:34
In short you figured out that they strike first on the charge right before they stop striking first on the charge :D

Krom The Eternal
06-07-2010, 05:58
just my luck lol =P

Angelust
06-07-2010, 06:04
Curious though, doesn't step-up allow them to basically get the same number of attacks unless they're <10?

<edit> although yeah, S6 chosen might be overkill when compared to S5 halberded I5 chosen...eick...

Kerill
06-07-2010, 08:52
As a general rule NEVER look to anything written by GW on the GW site (or White Dwarf anymore) as any kind of useful guide for anything related to army lists or tactics.

Gonzoyola
06-07-2010, 11:10
I remember when me and my friend found out that GW strike first on the charge. All of a sudden his Ironguts seemed to make sense haha

Odin
06-07-2010, 11:41
Curious though, doesn't step-up allow them to basically get the same number of attacks unless they're <10?

<edit> although yeah, S6 chosen might be overkill when compared to S5 halberded I5 chosen...eick...

Initiative 6 surely?

Eta
06-07-2010, 11:48
Nope, initiative 5 is right.

Greetings
Eta

lelandchaska
06-07-2010, 16:09
I'm glad somebody brought this up, because it has been bothering me from a modeling perspective. The Chosen models are IMO tied with the Knights as the best looking models in the WoC army, and some of the best looking soldiers in the game. However, the Chosen minis are equipped with GWs, so under WYSIWYG, you would need to equip them with GWs to stay true to WYSIWYG.

The flip side to this is that the Chosen's GWs look remarkably similar to Halberds anyway. So you could just say they are Halberds and be done with it.

However, if you also are running a unit of regular Warriors with Halberds (assuming you modeled the metal ones, or maybe used some Bretonnia M@A ones), you are going to be fielding two units using Halberds that look incredibly different.

Krom The Eternal
06-07-2010, 19:34
well i equipped some of my warriors with halberds and i used the knight lances i just cut a bit of the bottom away and they look pretty sweet ad also you would assume the chosen would be better equipped then the regular warriors as they are chosen lol